PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Onboard Advise

Razzman
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok so while I'll admit in the past i swore for years "No Dogs Onboard", I'm about to break my own rule. ;)

My wife decided i needed someone to keep me company to and from the office so she gets me this at Thanksgiving (11 weeks in pic). He's a Mini Dachshund and should be around 7 months old by end of April. ... I need advise on dogs onboard, never done it besides he's so darn cute i can't leave him at home! :p

zegm
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Dogs on board are great unless you got this big ole German Shepherd like ours whose nails might puncture the seats. With our old boat we didn't care but with the new LS we haven't been brave enough to try it.

moombadaze
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Razz, cute pup there, being a smaller dog he should not pose any issues, spend some time with him on the boat and in the water and you will wonder why you waited so long to bring him on board.

zegm, you missed it but at the Atlanta jam someone had a black lab with them, they had dog nail covers that were plastic and the dog did not seem to care at all. Look back at the photos as i think we put one on there.

Mrs.Daze
01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Here you go...

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r390/MrsDaze/Lanier08051.jpge ya go...

jmvotto
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Hope thats a female dog.....

Our 2 year old yellow lab female love the ride and fell asleep between the drivers seat and the spotters seat. just keep nails short.

smokedog2
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
two big dogs, 4 years, no trouble.

jester
01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Umm i have to say No Dogs but that is a cute dog. I had a friend that hard her dog onboard all day and forgot that after a day on the like the dog might have to go pee pee. Well good thing the dog was on the back of the boat and was easely moved to the swim deck.

So just make sure you keep that in mind on to keep the dog onboard all day without restroom breaks.

JesseC
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Let the little guy aboard! I have been taking dogs on my boat ever since I have had them. They will not do any damage unless they go to "digging" on the cushions. My guys love a boat ride more than anything! He is part of the family and deserves to be taken!

Here are my boys:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/theboys.jpg

Sled491
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Have not had my dog on my new boat, but on our old boat we used to have our 2 German Sheppards all the time. We have a Springer now and he's still young and just a bit hyper with 3 young kids to have on the boat.

I quess that would be the big question. Not will the dog ruin your boat which I doubt he/she would do, but how the dog and the passengers will interact on the boat. Will it get to be too much?

Razzman
01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
At best he'll be 10 pounds, the biggest reason we got a mini. The other is they love people, literally. As he already knows everyone who'll ever be on our boat that's not an issue. We have leather furniture at home and as of yet he's failed to make one mark on it and i know vinyls a hell of a lot tougher. The only real issue i have i guess is potty training on a boat, guess i'll have to make a bunch of shore stops!

Sled491
01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I have to admit, I've never had the potty problem. All my dogs have been males, all spent tonnes of time in the water with the family swimming. I just assumed they were like you and me and did there business in the lake like everyone else.

Razzman
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL! That's a good one :p