PDA

View Full Version : heater install

williampen
02-13-2004, 11:47 AM
installing a heater in 03 mob V. 320hp tbi. couple of questions can someone confirm that the plug that I should be removing on the intake manifold is on the right if I am facing the rear of the boat and is removed with an allen wrench. Also where is the best place to ground heater? thanks

noneya
02-13-2004, 01:11 PM
I'll be doing mine this weekend, I have a d-drive but I'll post results on Mon (hopefully)

Yellowmobius
02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a d-drive, I installed my heater awhile ago but here is what I remember.

The instructions had me remove a plug on the water pump and the other was on the drivers side of the engine, below the manifold. I had to buy a "special" square socket. The plug was smaller than a 3/8 ratchet drive but bigger than a 1/4, Iguess that makes it a 5/16 square drive.

Brian Raymond
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
The best routing for your heater is the square plug fitting in the circulation pump, and the square plug fitting in the cyl. head between #6&#8 cyls. The square fitting is metric and not easily found, if you have a sacrificial 6" 3/8" extension and a bench grinder, this is your best bet. Let me know how the install went. Brian Raymond

noneya
02-16-2004, 12:13 PM
When we did mine this weekend, there was a plug on the water pump that had a square lug we just used a regular wrench to get that. On the engine (d-drive TBI) there was a plug on the drivers side at the same location as the temp sensor (which is on the pass side) that had a hex opening not a square.

cab13367
04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
The best routing for your heater is the square plug fitting in the circulation pump, and the square plug fitting in the cyl. head between #6&#8 cyls. The square fitting is metric and not easily found, if you have a sacrificial 6" 3/8" extension and a bench grinder, this is your best bet. Let me know how the install went. Brian Raymond

Hi Brian,

I am about to install a heater on my 2006 LSV with the 325HP engine. Could you please tell me the best place to connect the inlet and outlet hose, or is it the same as above?

Thanks,

Al

jester
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Al,

I would think they you have the ports on the engine but they just are blocked off right now. I have attached two photo's from my heater hoses. Please note this is for a V-drive 325hp.

From this photo you can see the two black hoses zip tied together next to the carpet. The first hose goes up into the block and is cut off a little by the support bar on the right side of the photo.
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/IMG_7777.jpg

This second photo is the other hose going into the back of the engine (back of the engine is at the aft of the boat). It is the smaller black hose that comes into the photo in about the middle of the photo. You can also see the impller pump at the bottom of the photo that is about 3/4 of the way to the right of the photo.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/IMG_7775.jpg

Sorry these are just photo's i had. If you need better ones i should be able to get them too you this weekend. I can also put in arrows if that will help.

cab13367
04-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks Jester, that helps. You don't have any shut off valves at the block? What do you plan to do if the hose develops a crack and water starts gushing out?

jester
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
If the hose gets a crack then i hope my bulge pump works. Also another reason to keep duct tape on the boat . I have been thinking of putting a shutoff valve in but have not made it that far. Right now since it has been dropping to the mid 30's at night i pull the hoses to the heater and blow them out. I was told that the heater will be the first thing to go if it gets too cold out.

jester
04-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Al, Also the hoses are at the top of the block so the amount of water that comes out when the engine is not running is not that much.

Sled491
04-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Al, I have never had a heater hose go, but have had 3 yes 3 water pump hoses go. I keep a roll of rescue tape in my boat for such problems and has worked for me.

As for the DD heater install, both my hoses come off the drivers side of the motor.

cab13367
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Al, I have never had a heater hose go, but have had 3 yes 3 water pump hoses go. I keep a roll of rescue tape in my boat for such problems and has worked for me.

As for the DD heater install, both my hoses come off the drivers side of the motor.

Good to hear it sled. But I am still going to install these at the block (assuming there is room for them) so if I split a hose, I just close the valves and continue about my day. Cheap insurance and since I am going to do the install, I might as well do it right the first time.

Al

http://www.heatercraft.com/images/products/Medium/H412-med.jpg

viking
04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Good to hear it sled. But I am still going to install these at the block (assuming there is room for them) so if I split a hose, I just close the valves and continue about my day. Cheap insurance and since I am going to do the install, I might as well do it right the first time.

Al

http://www.heatercraft.com/images/products/Medium/H412-med.jpg

Remember to post pics of the mod for us to see ;)

Sled491
04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Cab, great idea, although I would use a lever/ball style to cut down on room and make the shut off easier. Although I quess they could always be considered extra ballast :)

mmandley
04-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Cab, great idea, although I would use a lever/ball style to cut down on room and make the shut off easier. Although I quess they could always be considered extra ballast :)

I agree on the lever idea. Besides you know how hot that twister will be? LOL

I had the twister on my garden hose. I got a level in the garage and always use it instead LOL