PDA

View Full Version : Waverunner

deerfield
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm intrigued with a waverunner. I don't know much about these machins. I rented one in Florida for several hours and it was like riding a rocket. If I bought one I would keep it on a trailer at the house and pull it each time we go to the small lake where we keep our Outback. I'd even use it on Lake Michigan. My boys are 22, 20, and 15. How quickly does the novelty wear off? What service problems am I likely to encounter? What don't I know about this that I should? Are there brands to avoid? Do you have any regrets about having bought one? Am I nuts to get one of these? I am looking at a Yamaha FZS 200 hp 3-person model. Thanks. - Deerfield

kaneboats
01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
My brother had a Yamaha 4 stroke one a couple years ago. It ran all day on a tank of gas. It was clean and quiet and cute. All I know.

maxpower220
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I regret it everytime someone has one on the water where I am trying to ski.

Roachman
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Definitly fun to cruise on. I think your kids would really enjoy them. We have 2 Kawasaki 250X and they are Lightning fast..80 mph. They are a nice change when the water gets too rough then I can wakeskate behind them in the shallow coves.

moombadaze
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
They are a blast to have, just make sure to get a 4 stroke model, just one more toy on the water.

mustangairchair
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
i had a a xll1200 it was a nice machine but like a boat to big i sold it and got a 2 seater more funn spinns around faster and is not so stable so you can flip and spinn around . don't drive into beach with it running or go in shellow water it will suck up rocks

Sled491
01-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Deerfield, I posted a reply but it seems to be missing. A obviuos conspiracy!

No, I don't think you'll get bored or the novelty will wear off. In fact I think you'll appriciate the freedom it will give Mrs Deerfield and yourself to explore other lakes for future use while you wait to build your lake house.

Potential problems are minor. One, speeding tickets when you break the sound barrier on WI and Il lakes that have 45 or 50 mph speed limits. 2, filling up the Pick up grate with weeds by accident. Very expensive repair and a real bummer. 3, keeping me and the boys off of your Wave runner while waiting to purchase our own.

Also with the 4 stroke you are looking at there are way fewer problems/meltdowns than with the old 2 strokes. Should be failry maintanence free. Let me know what you decide, that's one nice boat!

98outback
01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
We have 3 seadoo's but hardly ride them anymore. Dont get me wrong t hey are fun but the boat is nicer. I would say after we got our outback 4 years ago and now have a supra v-drive we have probably ridden them about 5 times. Its more enjoyable in the boat hanging out with everyone. Also i see how annoying it is when people ride them right behind your boat while you are pulling someone. So now I just crank them at the house on the hose about once a month to keep them running.

VA LSV
01-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Definitely lots of fun. Great for exploring shallow coves and our kids enjoy tubing & wakeskating behind ours. Loose rocks and impellers don't mix.