PDA

View Full Version : new to wakeboarding

unstableconcepts
01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Hello all,

I've been browsing the forums for a little while and finally decided to post. I am very interested in buying a Moomba but have some questions for anyone who has the extra time to read this and help me.

I am new to wakeboarding but have gone water skiing many times. I have never tried to wakeboard because no one I knew ever had a board. We just moved to a house on a small boating lake in Wisconsin and I'm eager to try it this summer.

We have two kids that I'm hoping will be able to start skiing or wakeboarding but I at least know they will be tubing.

So my questions are as follows:

Is a Moomba a good first wakeboarding boat? Is it good for tubing as well? The prices are right and a lot of people online talk highly of them on other forums.

What model should I be looking at? I saw some at the Chicago boat show the other day and couldn't see many differences between them.

Is it likely that I will be a decent wakeboarder by the end of the summer? I'm curious as to how steep the learning curve is. I like learning new things and it wouldn't be a bad thing if I still suck by the end of summer, but I'm just curious.

If we say my budget is $25k, would I be better off buying a couple year old Moomba or an older competing company? I don't see the difference so my preference is for the newer boat with the good message board :)

Thank you all for reading this and hopefully helping me!

zegm
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Now is the time to buy a nice used Outback with the optional Tower!!!!

murraymoomba
01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I tried the wakeboard, and I got to where I could ride it OK. I used to kneeboard alot until the wake board. Then I tried the sky ski and I'll never go back, as soon as I could ride the sky ski I took the kneeboard and the wakeboard out of the boat. If you know someone with a sky ski you should try it. I am hooked on it!!! Anyone from 5 yrs to 80+ can ride. Hardly any resistance while you are riding.
As for as a boat price, we were thinking about trading our 07 outback v w/about 115 hrs for a lsv and the dealer would only allow us about 25000 for it. We just kept what we had. I hope this helps.

Reese350
01-18-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree with Z, find an Outback a couple years old with low hours. I would definately get one with a tower though. We started out with an 04 Outback without a tower and quickly needed (ok wanted) one for wakeboarding. We switched over to an LSV and couldn't be happier. For $25k, you should be able to pick up a killer used Outback.

smokedog2
01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Hello all,

I've been browsing the forums for a little while and finally decided to post. I am very interested in buying a Moomba but have some questions for anyone who has the extra time to read this and help me.

I am new to wakeboarding but have gone water skiing many times. I have never tried to wakeboard because no one I knew ever had a board. We just moved to a house on a small boating lake in Wisconsin and I'm eager to try it this summer.

We have two kids that I'm hoping will be able to start skiing or wakeboarding but I at least know they will be tubing.

So my questions are as follows:

Is a Moomba a good first wakeboarding boat? yes
Is it good for tubing as well? yes, if you cavitate, fill the center bag (you will learn)

The prices are right and a lot of people online talk highly of them on other forums.

What model should I be looking at? I'm big on V drives - Moomba myself, other go Supra

I saw some at the Chicago boat show the other day and couldn't see many differences between them.

Is it likely that I will be a decent wakeboarder by the end of the summer? no - sorry.

I'm curious as to how steep the learning curve is. I like learning new things and it wouldn't be a bad thing if I still suck by the end of summer, but I'm just curious.

If we say my budget is $25k, would I be better off buying a couple year old Moomba or an older competing company? I don't see the difference so my preference is for the newer boat with the good message board :)

Moomba, mine is an 05, I see no reason to change.

Thank you all for reading this and hopefully helping me!

I think my answeres are in the quote. You'd think I'd know how to do this.

SD2

smokedog2
01-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Kids age? My son and daughter were on boards by age 9.

jmvotto
01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
There is a used 07 lsv on wakeworld repo, looks decent worth a look

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/659772.html?1232056072

maxpower220
01-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Based on your parameters, I would recommend that you look for an Outback V that is a couple of years old. You will probably like the seating arrangement, and that boat will cover all of your "needs". If you future is boarding, then you will like the V drive better.
Since winter is in full swing, you should be able to get the best deal right now. Also, some current owners are ordering new boats and needing to sell/trade theirs.
Good luck.

unstableconcepts
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, thank you for all the quick replies. I'm sure you all are probably sick of these newbie questions since most message boards seem to get filled with them.

How far am I likely to progress with wakeboarding this summer? I'm hoping to be able to hit the water 3-4 days per week, depending on weather. If all I can do is a simple w2w then I'd exceed my expectations.

Oh yea, my kids are 5 and 9. I'm hoping the 9 year old will try wakeboarding or skiing this summer. But either way, they will both be tubing.

adsman
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
dont forget about surfing... we finished our first season with our 07LSV and everyone started out green...

7 yr old son can now wakeboard and this fall got up on a surfboard on his first try (pics attached)
5 year old daughter rides tandom with my wife on the surfboard all of the time

we used to bring the tube out, but the kids love love love wakesurfing (they dont even ask to tube anymore)

as for your progression at wakeboarding... who knows... i have a season under my belt and wakeboarded about twice a month and can make it about 3/4 of the way across the wake (my cautiousness is mostly due to my age and unwillingness to tear something)...

kaneboats
01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
It takes a couple seasons to get any good at wakeboarding. Getting out a few times a week will definitely help though. Best advice: Don't buy a boat for how good you are going to be in a year. Look at the next 4-7 years or so and think about yourself, the wife, the kids. I agree with everybody so far that an Outback V would probably suit you perfectly. Last-- we don't ever criticize anyone for asking questions. We are here to help each other. I hope you decide to join the family. There's nothing like a Moomba.

moombadaze
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Kaneboats has some very good advise there.