PDA

View Full Version : priming water pump

1LOKMOOMBA
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I am all winterized, but when the lakes thaw out do you have to prime the water pump, or does it have enough suction on it's own to circulate the water through the engine.:confused:

Razzman
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Put it in the water and fire it up, that's it, just like any other day.

1LOKMOOMBA
01-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Put it in the water and fire it up, that's it, just like any other day.

Thanks , one less thing to worry about.

maxpower220
01-16-2009, 07:56 PM
There are a couple of ways to winterize. If you left some of the hoses disconnected, I would fill the block with water before starting. If your hoses have already been reconnected, just put it in the water and start it.

1LOKMOOMBA
01-17-2009, 01:25 AM
There are a couple of ways to winterize. If you left some of the hoses disconnected, I would fill the block with water before starting. If your hoses have already been reconnected, just put it in the water and start it.

I reconnected the hoses I just thought with a filter that the pump needed some help.

04OUTBACK
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I think it is a good idea to put a little wd-40 on the impeller so it is not too dry on the first few spins...

zegm
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
04Outback,

I really like that WD-40 idea!

maxpower220
01-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I think it is a good idea to put a little wd-40 on the impeller so it is not too dry on the first few spins...

I use silicon lube when I do the winterization process. This also helps when you have to replace it.

1LOKMOOMBA
01-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I use silicon lube when I do the winterization process. This also helps when you have to replace it.

I like it, I need to place an order at discount marine and silicone lube will be on it. Thanks:)

Razzman
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I prefer the safer method, replacing the impellor at the beginning of each season, cheap and sure fire.

1LOKMOOMBA
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I prefer the safer method, replacing the impellor at the beginning of each season, cheap and sure fire.

Yes I agree I will replace the impeller every year.

Sled491
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
When I got my replacement impellor it came with some lube. In fact enough to coat the old one before I put it in a zip loc bag for a back up.

As to your question about priming the system I don't think it's necessary. Just let it idle at the dock to warm up. By that time the system should be fully charged.

JesseC
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Agreed 100%. I have changed mine every year, some years they look brand new and others they look really worn. It is just too easy not to do it every year.

mustangairchair
01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
it said in the manual when replacing impeller to cover in vasoline

zegm
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Wow everyyear??? The old boat, who's name will not be mention, I think in 22 years I replaced it 3 times! Never had a problem, but now you guys got me scared. Maybe it has a designed in failure life???? Is it made in China??? What is the world coming too??? I did notice that the newer ones did take a set over the winter where the old "one" didn't. I will pull it out in the spring and let it sit for a day on the workbench, if it returns to a "round" condition she is going back in, if not I will give someone my money. Otherwise, I need that money for more "swill" as Kaneboats calls it!

tazz3069
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I just ordered my impellor. I also change it out every year. I take the old one and put it in a plastic bag. I also coat it with marine grease so that it will not dry up. I keep it in the boat just in case I NEED A BACK UP. The one from the year before goes in the trash.

moombadaze
01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Try for every year-sometimes its every other year but they all came out looking good-very little wear.

Sled491
01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I usually replace mine every year, put the one I just removed in glove box, take the one from year before out of glove box, put it in box the new one came in and sale it on ebay to you guys as new!!!!! not really

Very Sneaky :) But sometimes the condition they look you could almost do that.

zegm
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Now you guys know why I just keep the old one until I see some wear on it or it takes a set. I mean really do you know what you are buying? :)
Also I take into account that by replacing the cover every year am I going to cause a problem if I don't seal the cover correctly and it starts sucking air in the system instead of priming the pump, you know "am I actually going to cause a problem?" Anyone every hear of the wives tale about replacing auto transmission fluid, it goes like this ......it was working fine until we replaced the fluid! Now for you guys out there who can afford or live close enough to a dealer then this is a non-issue because if anything goes wrong it will be the dealer who did it. But I think I might try to get in contact with the pump manufacturer and see what they recommend. Anyone know who makes the pump?