PDA

View Full Version : how far

moombadaze
01-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Once again my inlaws are having a family reunion this spring and i would like to bring along my escape vehicle, i mean moomba. What is the farthest you've towed your boat for a 3 day weekend. Miles and hours traveled?

Thanks

Trying to convince the wife im not so crazy:rolleyes:

Reese350
01-13-2009, 09:33 PM
We've driven the 7-8 hours down to Lake Cumberland in Southern KY for the weekend.

maxpower220
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I drove 7.5 hours (with a food stop) to Tampa for the Jamboree. But I have driven from San Diego to Pensacola (2000 miles) twice.

Sled491
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Pulled my boat to Canada to spend time with my family. 700 miles, about 12 hrs. Keep in mind I had 3 very small ones, and once our past Duluth MN its all single highway and no real passing areas. Also have pulled my boat to Arkansas for family vacation, and thinking of joining Chad and his group at Dale Hollow this year (would be about 8 - 10 hrs for me)

dtlaine
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I drove about 450 miles each way to Lake Sinclair, and that was for a two-day weekend. Of course, you know I have extraordinary circumstances.

kaneboats
01-13-2009, 11:57 PM
You aren't talking about Washington, are you? You'd be better off meeting up with some other owners. It's a long long way. You get to use the boat more in FL than just about anyone anywhere else. No need to tow it very far. I thought about taking mine to IL this summer but nixed the idea immediately.

Reese350
01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah, if you're talking Washington I have to admit that would be a bit nutty unless you're going for a month or so. Now, if Ed is implying that Jennifer Aniston is going to meet you there, I wouldn't think twice. I'll even fly down and help you drive. :)

moombadaze
01-14-2009, 08:35 AM
nope not washington-hope to get back home this coming winter-the place is just about 2 hrs north of minneapolis. maybe i am crazy but the place is right on a lake and there are no rentalls available.

And if Jenn was there i would allready be packed up with boat in tow.

Sled491
01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Dazr your talking between Minni and Duluth?

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 10:40 AM
That's a 24 hr. drive without the boat. I wouldn't do it. But I certainly understand how you could be picturing yourself looking at that lake for three days with no boat. Ouch. Maybe I would do it. Then again, you have to look at what's planned. Are they planning picnics and dinners and stuff? If you'd only get most of one day on the lake it changes the perspective. Also, what if it rains for a day and a half? If everything went perfectly and they were all just sitting around by the lake for 3 days it would be worth it. Short of that, maybe not.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
One more thing. You said "spring". You may want to check a weather almanac for the dates they are planning. It might be too cold or just wetsuit only weather. There were years in IL where I didn't put in until after Memorial Day.

Razzman
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Tow it!! I've towed 200+ for a one day trip up to 650 for a 4 day. In each case it's mountains, i'm talking large mountains we see in the west guys :p We're used to it out here consequently i don't remember a "white knuckle" incident in years. We're doing Powell next year, that's three states for us, no problem. It all comes down to how bad do you want your boat with you? :)

moombadaze
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
sled, its lake Minnewaska. Town is Glenwood. For the all the times we have been there the weather has been good but who know's what the future weather would be. It would be middle of june. I map quested it and came up with 1700 miles but we would also be able to see my wifes home town and show my daughter where she(wife) was born. Starting to think its not such a good idea for so short a stay.

zabooda
01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I drive an hour away and I'm in the middle of nowhere and that is where I launch the boat and park the motor home. At 7 miles a gallon, I'm glad I don't have to go too far. For the week trips, I go about 200 miles each way but then we're talking full hookups and 80+ water temps. I plan to go to Lake Powell next year so that will be a 1,000 miles each way.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Yea, I run 40 min. each way when we go so we pretty much try to go for the day when we go. I think my limit would be about 8 hours/500 miles unless it was going to be for a really awesome week of boating.

moombadaze
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
guess it would make up for my long commute to the ramp here:p

Sled491
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Well if you can stretch it out you will be going kind of right by us, stop on in if you can. By the way I looked up that lake. I kind of like it, good fishing and good acreage. 8000+ is a good size lake I don't care where your from!

moombadaze
01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Sled, where abouts are you? My wife would love to see that cabin you built

jclay5
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
900 miles each way for me. Towing doesn't bother me one bit on long distances... the only thing that does bother me is the 10 miles per gallon my Tahoe gets when towing :( I also tow at around 75 which doesn't help, but those tandem axle trailers sure do track well =D

Sled491
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Our cabin would be about 40 minutes East of Madison WI or 40 min West of Milwaukee. So If you came through Chicago VIA I90 you would get to Madison and make a short detour east on Hwy 94. The lake is called Nemahbin. Hwy 94 goes right over the channel that connects upper and lower. We are on Sugar Island on the lower side.

SEARK
01-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Went 300 + miles last summer one way, about 6 hours for a 3 day weekend. We'll load up and go 150 miles one way just for the day just for a change of scenery. Will do that about 2 or 3 times during the summer.

jester
01-15-2009, 01:23 AM
In June i will be pulling my baby about 400 miles for a collage friends get to gether at a friends lake house. Nothing like a few other people have done. The things you do for friends and family.

SEARK,

150 each way for a day trip? I can understand the change but that is a lot of driving for a day trip.

moombadaze
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Sled--google'd your lake and island--looks cool-oh i mean cold.:rolleyes: Looks shallow also--can see all the prop scars in the sand.

SEARK
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
In June i will be pulling my baby about 400 miles for a collage friends get to gether at a friends lake house. Nothing like a few other people have done. The things you do for friends and family.

SEARK,

150 each way for a day trip? I can understand the change but that is a lot of driving for a day trip.

Where we live we're used to driving for anything we want to do. All you have to do is leave early. :)

Sled491
01-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Daze, there are some shallow spots, OK lots of shallow spots, but its all sand, nothing to really hurt your prop on. The upper side is 60 ft deep at it's deepest but gets really busy and rough. My side stays pretty quiet and has no restrictions like slow no wake from noon till three on the weekends :(. My side goes 35 ft deeps with an average of around 16.