PDA

View Full Version : At what age did you bring yours babies on board

MAPWPD
01-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey All,

I am about to be a new father of baby twins :o and I am very excited. I want to get them involved ASAP. I am wondering where to get best vests for new borns and at what age did you all start bringing them on board. How did you bring them on board strickly by holding them I would imagine? I am also wondering the youngest ages you started them on the ski trainer ( U shape skier) or wakeboarding too. I am a snowboarder and snow skier too so that information I am interested in too....

Thanks Mark

wolfeman131
01-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Our son was born Jan 16, 2008 and helped me sell my wife on the new '08 Outback V. Put the boat in the water on May 2 and Jack was at the wheel with me! We found the best lifejacket at Boater's World. The V drive setup allowed him to sleep and crawl around.
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Jack/CaptJack.jpg

jmvotto
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats on the new arrivals. we have a set of twins 11,and and 8 year old are are now expecting in June.

I expect to be on the water ASAP. V drive could even fit a small pack n play.

Search on newborn or infant life jackets

http://www.safelifejackets.com/product/MTI-Infant-PFD.html

www.overtons.com has some as well.

OOPS sorry. Baby on the way moomba must go :( NOT:p j ust more gear

Membrain
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, I brought my baby on board for the first time at age 16! He is 22 now. Oh ok, he lived with his mom before then. And yes, he’s still my baby.

moombadaze
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
my girl was born in november and at about 4 months we were on the water. we just made sure that she was under shade and just let her sit in her car seat unstrapped-just in case we had to grab her. keep the tunes low--ear's are sensitive

Mrs.Daze
01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
my girl was born in november and at about 4 months we were on the water. we just made sure that she was under shade and just let her sit in her car seat unstrapped-just in case we had to grab her. keep the tunes low--ear's are sensitive

I think it was more like 6 months, when we could put sunblock on her. She sure hated that baby life jacket though!

maxpower220
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
We had my best friend's baby on the boat within 5 days. That kid had already been surfing 2.5 hours away within 2 days.
Babies don't have to slow you down.

Sled491
01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I never did get that whole "baby on the way need to sell the boat" thing. My 1st son was born on Jan 27 2000 and we have pics of him on our 1st ride of the season which was March that year in lower WI. My second son was born in Oct so he had no boat time, but my youngest, my daughter was born in June and was on the lake in June.

My oldest was deepwater starting a slalom ski at age 7 and skiing JR trainers at age 5. My youngest is now 5 and she was on the trainers this summer. Just check out my albums.

Make sure you keep the bimini up and keep squirting the baby sunblock on them. Be reasonable also, your days will be a little shorter on the water, but you'll still be on the water! My kids know nothing else! Heck my 2 sons can even drive all boats we own, including a tiller and an ugle old barge!

Mikey
01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Both of our kids have grown up in the boats from day one. Just find a lifejacket that is suitable and away you go.
The term sleep like a baby should have come from boating as ,both kids and many others i've seen seam to always fall sound asleep in the boat and it seems the rougher the water the better,within reason.
Enjoy and just keep kids safe and covered from the sun etc.Enjoy your boating.

Sled491
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Both of our kids have grown up in the boats from day one. Just find a lifejacket that is suitable and away you go.
The term sleep like a baby should have come from boating as ,both kids and many others i've seen seam to always fall sound asleep in the boat and it seems the rougher the water the better,within reason.
Enjoy and just keep kids safe and covered from the sun etc.Enjoy your boating.

that's for sure, the movement of the boat was always the perfect way to get the kids down for a nap! And believe it or not under the consule was the best place. Protected from sun and people it was like there own little cocoon

kaneboats
01-13-2009, 11:42 PM
We always took the babies with us. They always seem to find their own place to sleep and most of them still do it from time to time. I've seen my 14 year old sleeping, spotted my 10 year old copping zzzzzzz's, and the others 8, 5 and 3 still nod off when they run out of energy. The baby will hate the life jacket so you will have to adjust a little but it's all good. Blessings to all of you who get new additions this year. Family boating is where it's at. Enjoy!

Sled491
01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Amen KB, boating is for families all the way!

01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I had my son on our new XLV this past summer when he was only a few weeks old. Some day he'll be able to brag how he was out fishign and wakeboarding before he was 30 days old. A wife, shade, nice weather and calm water made it easy.

RobertJ
01-14-2009, 01:36 AM
We had our two youngest on the boat from a very early age just like the rest of you. As everyone else stated good common sense and safety will make sure you newborns enjoy the experience. We always made sure one of the adults always had a life jacket on all the time as well. We did not want to have an issue and then be looking for the jacket. I don't think my wife and I will be having number 4 but if we did I would enjoy having the baby on board at -9 months (negative 9 months if you catch my drift). At least I can dream, married 18 years and still the love and desire of my heart. Shes also pretty good wakeskater/wakeboader/kneeboarder/wakesurfer and all around Moomba Mamma.

moombadaze
01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
im with sled, dont understand why just because your having a babie you have to sell. now we did trade our 2 seadoo's in for a boat when we said it was time to have a kid.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
It's in my blood. My mom was skiing on her Taperflex when she was 8 months pregnant with me (Aug. baby). Nowadays they would put you in jail for that -- of course we all rode around in a stationwagon with no car seats or seatbelts on all the time too. Anyway, my parents took me out when I was a week old.

jmvotto
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
KB, AAWWHH the ole Taperflex I still have a blue and gold taperflex in the garage, Just need a new boot and ready to go. Boy that really dates me because i was 10 on mine.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
She used to ride the one that was dark woodgrain on the top and white woodgrain on the bottom. It had the real carpet under the bindings. My Dad was ecstatic when he found one just like it but in his size sticking out of a barrel at a bait shop in FL years later (this was about 1982 or so). Then one of his nephews broke it in two only two years later. When I first got on ebay about 5 years ago I got lucky and found him a replacement for it. He used that one till he was about 67. I don't think he's skied in about a year or so though. I never liked the Taperflex stuff. I rode EP then O'Brien and never really got any good though.

Sled491
01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I always thought Taperflex was a Canadian Tire brand, guess I was wrong. Go EP!

jmvotto
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
i concur with the Obrien and EP, which i have an old one of each in the garage as well. Needs new bindings as well. maybe the kids can use them when they start to slalom

GeauxTigers
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
My last son was born in January and he was literally in the water by April that year.

littletna
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
My boys were 6 months when we started with them on our boat. Now they're six and they absolutely love the water!!! Lots of sunscreen and wetsuits and lifejackets are a must for thear safety and comfort. Enjoy this time with your twins. Take lots of pictures!!!:p

yearround
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Littletna- birghton co? where do you go? i am planing to get out to carter soon for a winter ride, but this weather today, 11F and snow, does not look encouraging.

as for kids, take them as soon as you can. your day will be different, but they will prove helpful in a few years. my 13yr is usually the best driver i can find.