PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

zegm
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Yep it is that time of year again for the ZEGM household, renew the insurance on our 2 boats. One is a 2008 Moomba LS (of course) and the other is a 25ft twin engined (Go Evinrude!!!) offshore Walk-about fishing boat (which is bad because I use it in the Gulf of Mexico and that really runs the rates up). Anyway I wanted to say that, much to Flo's disappointment, that I saved about 550 dollars A YEAR by switching to BoatUS!!! These folks are Great!!!! :D

GeauxTigers
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Yep it is that time of year again for the ZEGM household, renew the insurance on our 2 boats. One is a 2008 Moomba LS (of course) and the other is a 25ft twin engined (Go Evinrude!!!) offshore Walk-about fishing boat (which is bad because I use it in the Gulf of Mexico and that really runs the rates up). Anyway I wanted to say that, much to Flo's disappointment, that I saved about 550 dollars A YEAR by switching to BoatUS!!! These folks are Great!!!! :D

Z:
You stole my thunder! I was going to post just that! BoatUS saved me about $150 on the lil Red Boat. On my cars, I saved about $300 per year by switching from Farmers to Progressive.

zegm
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
GT,

I'm sorry, I was so happy I had to Vent!!!
Unfortunately Flo hasn't been able to match our Geico rate yet.

Sled491
01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I have no idea who Flo is but congrats Z and GT, that's some gas in the tank there. Z you should explain what you hat to do to get such a great rate.

zegm
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Sled,

First, watch the Progressive TV commercials with the funny brunette! We love her, and her name is Flo.
Second, all I had to do to drop the rate was go to www.boatus.com find the insurance tab on the left and click on it. Actually I started out online but because I have 2 boats I really wanted to speak to someone so I called the number listed on the site. I spoke to several people there over a 3 day period and they were all very helpful. I could have saved even more money but after speaking to an underwriter I decided not to go the cheapist route and I still saved over 500 dollars!!!

Sled491
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
OH, I know who she is, got it. What happened with the online course?

kaneboats
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I must be doing OK. The Boat US quote was only 30 bucks cheaper.

98outback
01-14-2009, 07:17 AM
I switched over to boat us on my supra. Not only are the rates cheaper but you get a lot of benefits. If you breakl down on the way to the lake. You get your truck towed and boat us will have your boat picked up and hauled to where you need it. Its a good feeling to know your boat will not be on the side of the road. I have seen a lot of nice boats on the way to the lake during the summer with out a vehicle.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Better make sure you compare apples to apples when you do these quote compares. My Homeowners extends my regular liability coverage to include boat accidents. If you buy a separate policy they may quote you at 100k limit when you would have had a 300k or 500k limit on your HO policy. It doesn't take long these days to burn through a 100k policy if even one person is seriously hurt. Also, be sure to read the fine print. There are differences between boat saver and stated value policies. I pay only about $10 - 15 extra a year for the tow coverage on the HO policy. Moral: It pays to shop around but maybe use a spreadsheet of features and limits for comparisons.

98outback
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Since I own my boat I did the policy so it is valued at what I set up. I did set it up for a little more then what it is actually worth. So each year the value may go down but if something happens to it they will give me what I put down for the value. So i pay a little more for that also. I could have done actual value according to the NADA and would have saved about 125 per year.

zegm
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Just looking for a cheap rate I went for boat saver on both boats, it was the underwriter who talked me out of that for the Moomba.

aquaexceed
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I have two boats and both are insured through unitedmarine.net

Both boats are in company names - The big insurance companies would not even quote me. I have full replacement on both and the price is great.

kaneboats
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Is one of yours in coastal waters?

GeauxTigers
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Replacement value on my '07 Moomba LSV. Paying $339/year. Got the BoatUS Yacht Policy (Yacht is jut a play on words meaning their top of the line coverage).

zegm
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
GT our LS was 408 and I think it is because the policy says "Inland and Coastal waters". I tried to tell them that only the offshore boat will ever see salt water the Moomba will NEVER see salt water. But I don't think they listened to me. I might try calling them again but it could just be a matter of where I live and I might not be able to do anything about it. But let me say this again, after owning a offshore boat and having to deal with salt water corrosion we will NEVER put the baby (LS) in salt water!!!!!!!! Hey BoatUS are you reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaneboats
01-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I think we pay more in FL because in theory we get more use and also the potential of offshore use is built into the model.

Sled491
01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I think the more use part is hitting the nail on the head. I was once told by my insurance broker that there was no point removing the insurance from my ZX7 Kawi in the winter because they prorated it based on usable months of the year, and in fact becasue they new there was almost no way for me to ride in the winter they charged almost nothing for winter months.

I'm sure the same thing applies for boats.

kaneboats
01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I assume your snowmobiles (or is it snow machines now?) have a similar rating.

Sled491
01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I beleive this to be true of all recreational equipment with Quad Runners possibly being the exception as we use those year round up Nort der eh!

GeauxTigers
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
GT our LS was 408 and I think it is because But let me say this again, after owning a offshore boat and having to deal with salt water corrosion we will NEVER put the baby (LS) in salt water!!!!!!!! Hey BoatUS are you reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z:
It's worth looking into it. He $70 is about 3-4 cases of beer depending on what you're drinking, right?

kaneboats
01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
That's about 7 cases of the swill I drink.

Sled491
01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
that's gross. Spend the extra and enjoy!! :)

zegm
01-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Well now I think it is the "Florida" thing were we tend to have longer boating season. And I say this because again I am NOT going to put her in Salt Water.
I spend almost all of my days working with "mine Warefare equipment" and how we are going to try to prevent salt water corrosion. Exotic materials, exotic coatings, special stainless steels only to find out it "don't" matter salt water will get it, it is only a matter of time! But she will get it! :mad:

zegm
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Beer??? Chicken Wings???? Dallas Friday???? Did I miss something here? ;)

tazz3069
01-22-2009, 11:46 PM
More Beer Pleeeeeezzzzzzzzz