PDA

View Full Version : New Ballast system

tazz3069
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Well guys, I finally got all the items that I need for the new ballast system. I will post what I bought, the store I bought it from and the cost. I also have pictures of the new items together.

I do have one question for anyone. Last winter, I install the new Star Gazer PP. I really like it. Thats not the question. Now that I have the PP installed, I have no need for the Moomba Cruise switches. Does anyone know of anyone that can make a new plate that will house a new switch in it? I woulde like it to be thw same shape as the existing plate. I would like to add a switch for maybe LED lights or something. Can anyone help me?

tazz3069
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
OK here is the list and pictures.
www.firstchoicemarine.com Attwood Tsunami 1200GPH Pump $34.99 each. Treaded to barb straight $6.99. (this is the piece that fits the Tsunami pump. It is 1 1/8") Remote Mounting Bracket $2.99 each
www.boaterworld.com Bronze Strainer X-Hull w/Nut 1" $33.99 each. 3M 5200 Adhesive Sealant $14.99 each. 1" Hose Bard to a 3/4" thread $2.29 each

Local Hardware Store. 1" Street 90 degree Brass Connector $9.55 each. 1" Ball Valve $19.95 each. 1"MIP x 1" Barb $.65 each. #10 Hose Clamps $1.40 each. 3/4" PVC threaded couplings $3.90 each. 1" RVT tubing $2.91

Lots of patience, time, and a good game plan. Remember. measure 20 times and drill once. I put all of them together to see where is the best location for the intake and were everything will fit. I did use a carbide hole saw to drill through the fiberglass. Here are the pictures I promised.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=795
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=796
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=797
I had to heat up the tubing over the stove. This allowed me to slip it over the 1 1/8" barb.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=801
I used the existing hole for this application. This was the easy one to do. The other was a bit difficult to place and especially to drill

tazz3069
01-11-2009, 06:00 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=798
I placed the 90 degree street coupler on the fiberglass to see if this application would work
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=802
This was the pilot hole that I drilled. I did this to see the hole on the bottom of the boat to drill the bigger hole.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=803
Here is the hole after I drill it out with the carbide hole saw. I did use tape around the location of the hole.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=804
Here is the piece that came out,

tazz3069
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=805
When I installed the scoop, I smothered the base of it with the 3M adhesive sealant. I did the same thing with the nut on the other side. This stuff takes about a week to dry completely.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=806
Here is the completed system. I had to use 1" PVC for this application.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=807
Here is another look with the PVC attached to the 1" Ball Valve.
I am using the existing wire that operated the solenoids. The only thing different is that I removed the 3 amp fuses and replaced them with the 5 amp fuses. This way I can individually work each pump. I tested the system and all the pumps work. I still need to put it in the water to see how long it take to fill up a 400LB bag.

Sled491
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Awsum Tazz, and much less expensive than I would have thought. Any time you want to hook ono up for me let men know.

On the Moomba cruise thing, I remember Aquaholic getting a custom billet plate made, maybe you can look into something like that.

kaneboats
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Incredible. Very slick. Going to work great.

ian ashton
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Yea, that is really cool, I like!

jmvotto
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I second the great photos and slick system, love the details . I am not sure i have the stones to drill into the bottom yet.

great job

tazz3069
01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Edd the photos are still on the sight. If not, they are in my public photo file.
Tazz

kaneboats
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I second the great photos and slick system, love the details . I am not sure i have the stones to drill into the bottom yet.

great job

You have to be damsure about what you're doing before you start drilling that size hole in that location. That's for sure.

Sled491
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
You have to be damsure about what you're doing before you start drilling that size hole in that location. That's for sure.

Isn't that what the bilge pump is for? :)

tazz3069
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Believe me, I made sure that this was going to work. I had gone to my Moomba dealer and asked their opinion. I had asked several people that I know in regards to this. I covered all my bases before I purchased everything. I feel very confident in my work. I would not have done it if I thought that it was impossible for me to do. in regards to drilling the holes, I did a little research on this. Everywhere that I read and everybody that I talked too, told me to use a carbide bit. The gellcoat did not chip or crack. It was a perfect hole.

moombadaze
01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Tazz, can you refresh my memory on why you added one extra fill pump, or is there more to your new system?

tazz3069
01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
A little more to the system. I hated to wait for ever for my bags to fill. So my project was to remove the 1 500GPH pump and sprinkler valve system and replace it with new pumps. Now, in my project, I added 3 new 1200GPH Tsunami pumps. One for each bag. This way, the bags will fill alot faster. More time to either wakeboard or surf. I still need to finish the project. I still have one more pump to install.

moombadaze
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Tazz, ok thanks--i thought you were doing 3 fill pumps. Since you removed the old system does it look possible to just replace the 500gph fill with the 1200gph pump or are the hoses and manifold with the sprinkler valves to restrictive.

01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I have been wondering the same thing as Moombadaze, my XLV has the Gravity 3 and i just upgraded the rear bags to 750's (2600 lbs total now) so a faster pump would be sweet.

tazz3069
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I am not sure if the Sprinkler system would handle the 1200GPH pump or not. Myself, I did not want tot deal with that anymore. That I why I replace the 1 fill pump with 3 fill pumps and eliminating the sprinkler valves all together.

01-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Tazz, your system will fill about 5 times faster then before, it's going to be great. I wonder how we could find out if those 1200GPH pumps would work in the existing moomba sprinkler system? Is there someone at Moomba we could email about this? It would just be such a quick and inexpensive way to cut fill time in 1/2.

tazz3069
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I am sure that it is ok to change out the pump. Think of it this way. If it can withstand the city water pressure to water your lawn or plants, then it can withstand the pressure of the water pump. I will do this for you. I still have my three valves. I will connect it to one of my pump and a battery. I will let it suck water from the pool. I will connect to other end to a 400lb sac. This wil be the true test. That way I can see if the valve will hold the pressure, and I can see the fill time on a 400lb sac. I will not be able to do it this weekend. Next weekend, I will attack this for you.
Tazz

01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Wow Tazz, that would be awesome of you to do this. It would be very helpful for a lot of the members on this board and a lot of us would be greatful. If I were to change the pump, how hard would it be to adapt one of those tsunami pumps to the existing hoses on the pump? Is it plug and play or will I need hose adapters on each end of the pump?

tazz3069
01-20-2009, 09:54 AM
OK 501 I found some time to test the new pump. I placed it in the pool water. Very Very Very cold water. Now I ran the unit with out the valve. There was a very nice flow of water. Now I attached the sprinkler valve. There was a significant difference in the flow of water. I also used the old pump that I removed. Now between the old pump and and new pump, with the sprinkler valve, there is a different in flow. Now with out the sprinkler valve all together, the flow was greater. Its seem the water is restricted with the valve. You can get a better flow of water with the bigger pump but not as good as you would get without the sprinkler valve. Also, I looked at the water filter. That also restricts the flow of water. When I took my system apart, I noticed the how much it restricts. Now on the new system, I did not use a filter. On the lakes that I go on, there is little to no debris on the water.

I still need to take the boat to the lake to see how fast the flow is. I am going to try to take it this weekend if I am not too busy.

tazz3069
01-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok I finally finish the pumps. I now can open a cold one and relax for now. I need to wait about a week before I can put her in the water. There are a few thing I need to check for.
1. Check for leaks around the holes I drilled.
2. Check to see, when the pump is running, if there are any leeks around all my connections.
3. Check, when the bags are full, if the pressure pushes the water back out through the pumps. I inserted a clear piece of hose for this. If the water pushes back out the pump, I can fix that with a one way valve.
4. Check to see if all my hard work paid off. i need to see how fast the pumps fill the 400lbs bags.

Summer, Summer, Summer, Summer. I sound like that old Target commercial. Open, Open, Open. HAHAHA LOL

04OUTBACK
01-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Tazz,
I walked in Wal Mart Wed night and turned the corner to see a big shelf of Sun tan lotions and the next aisle had pool supplies.. that was a welcome sight. I know it is early, but still, that optimism helps. Every day is a touch longer than the day before.. more sunlight helps too.

I am going to a boat show in Monroe, LA tomorrow...that should help stoke the fire some. I need to go spend some time with my boat. I know she is lonely and Dirty.

COME ON SUMMER!

moombadaze
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
days are getting longer-very easy to tell now--summer's on the way

aintskeered
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh Come on guys last night it only got down to 25 here the mudd from all the snow melting didnt even freeze hard enough to keep it off your shoes..... Summer is so close! granted the lake is still froze solid but a few more days of getting up to 40 and I think we could break enough ice to throw the boat in!............. Shoot never mind radio said new snow tomarrow:confused: I guess it will be another week or soo! THAW,ThAW,Thaw!

01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks a lot for all the great info Tazz! Very much appreciated!

tazz3069
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
No Problem.

01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I can't wait to hear how fast your new system actually fills!

tazz3069
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Either can I. I was thinking about the system. I needed to add one more piece to the puzzle. I need to add a check valve. The sprinkler acted like a check valve when it was closed witch did not allow the water to go back through the pump. I purchased 3 PVC swing valves from an online aquarium store. Waiting for delivery now. When I have the valves, the install will be complete. By that time, we should have descent weather to take the boat on the water.