PDA

View Full Version : Ballast bag sizes

kaneboats
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm trying to get setup for wakesurfing. I want to try to approximate Ed's Outback setup b/c I liked his surfing wake. I inherited some ballast bags that have no markings about size. Has anyone seen a chart that shows bag dimensions and the corresponding weight or gallonage?

moombadaze
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Pat, grab a garden hose and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Then time how long it takes to fill the bag. You can then figure out how many gallons fit in the bag. If i remember correctly a gallon of water is 7lbs. This should get you close to how much weight each bag is.

kaneboats
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
The chart might be faster than using the garden hose. Thanks, guys!

JesseC
01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
The chart might be faster than using the garden hose. Thanks, guys!

But the water hose would be a lot more fun and it would take at least two beers to test each bag. To each his own, I am going to measure mine a little differently. I am going to start filling a five gallon bucket and see how many beers I can drink by the time it takes to fill fill the bucket. Then I am going to hook it to my ballast bag and start knowcking back beers. When the bag is full, I will count the empty cans and calculate my sac weight. Should work I figure. Or you can use Ed's boring old chart, just an alternative offer...

moombadaze
01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Jess, well i will have to try this out--i know my surf bag is 750lb --any body want to guess on how many beers

kaneboats
01-11-2009, 02:04 AM
OK, I just picked up 5 cases of Yuengling. Here goes!!!

newty
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I just fill the bags with air and measure the bag demensions and convert to cylinder water volume. ps don't over inflate the bags!!