PDA

View Full Version : 2009 lake lanier plans

moombadaze
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Last year some of us made it to Lake Lanier in Georgia for some camping and boating, water levels as everyone knows are low, i found this site that list the dailey level. When we were there the level was 1055.

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/gage/acf/prob1.txt

kaneboats
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
That's pretty cool. We don't have to take anybody's word for it. If you recall we heard conflicting accounts last year. Yes, the lake was low. No, it was not so low you couldn't have fun.

moombadaze
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Salt, we will be invading your lake to this spring. Looking forward to it. Time goes so slow till you get to take a trip and then bam its over and back to work.

moombadaze
01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Speaking of sinclair,

zegm, when is school out for the kids?

wolfeman, how about for your kids?

saltyoysters, how about yours?

would like to make sure all kids are out for whatever weekend we plan for

kaneboats
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Looking ahead right now I can do any time starting May 30th on up till June 21. Then June 28- July 8 is open too. So pretty much any time except the week of 6/21 (Father's Day) to 6/27. I'm thinking of heading up on a Wed. and home on a Sun. or something like that so we get a couple solid days on the water.

moombadaze
01-09-2009, 06:06 PM
build on my lakefront site.

now that is what i want to do

wolfeman131
01-10-2009, 12:17 AM
wolfeman, how about for your kids?

April 6-10 is Spring Break
May 20 is last day of school

moombadaze
01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
How do you all feel about Lake Lanier for one of the 2 last weeks in july? travel up on a wednesday and home on sunday. Weather should be good that time of the year.

moombadaze
01-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Any and ALL moomba owners are welcome to join us. There is camping (shoal creek campground) right on the lake that is very good. Hotels close by for those who dont do the tent thing. We have just left the boats in the water overnight-those that stay in the hotel can also do that if there comfortable leaving them-makes it a littler easier.

This year we hope to have a bonfire on a island in the middle of the lake with a midnight slow -idle slow- cruise back to camp.

moombadaze
01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
no inside info--just incase there is no jamboree
typing before thinking

zegm
01-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Moombadaze,

I am not sure when exactly they will be out but I would have to say probably after May 30th would be best. Saltyoysters have we seen you on Sinclair?? Last year while we were up there having a blast with Wolfeman and his family we saw another Moomba running nearby? I want to say it was Gray?

If you want to know about another Atlanta Jamboree I have sad news, Tim is no longer working at Atlanta Marine. I could sneak Heidi an email to see what she knows about a Jamboree? If there isn't a jamboree I am telling you folks to think about Lake Allatuna, it is a much better lake as it has almost no houses on it, the mountains are higher, there are more woods, it is easier to get too, it is a Army Corps of Engineers lake. The issue about water and the dept in the lakes above Atlanta is not as serious an issue as it is for us down here. If we lost 12ft of water our lake would be gone. Those lakes are in the mountains, the water in Allatuna is about 200ft deep at the dam! Check out Red Top Mountain State Park!!!! Awesome place!!!

kaneboats
01-11-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm open to someplace else if there's no Atlanta Jam.

moombadaze
01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
yep-does not have to be Lanier, just a big lake, good water,clean campground

moombadaze
01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Mike, have you stayed at that campground?

moombadaze
01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
here is a link i found
http://www.redtopmountainstatepark.org/red-top-camping.html

kaneboats
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Sounds perfect for our needs. Here's another link with photos- more toward the bottom of the page.http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content/images.aspx?s=21.0.1.5

moombadaze
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
one thing about this campground i noticed is that we can not reserve a site-just the dates can be reserved-they will assigne the site when you get there

moombadaze
01-11-2009, 06:07 PM
some more campgrounds here
http://allatoona.sam.usace.army.mil/Allatoona%20recreation/camping.htm

http://allatoona.sam.usace.army.mil/Allatoona%20maps/Lakemap.htm
KB, these campgrounds should be just like the one at lanier
i was thinking about campgrounds #4,27,28,29

kaneboats
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
McKinney looks like the best bet if you look at the beach and boat ramp status page. Right now the ones at the other places are closed. Also, I'm sure they'll honor a request for adjacent sites.

wolfeman131
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I will take point on talking with the folks at Atlanta Marine regarding another Jam at Lanier and let you all know what I find out.

While Lanier may be down, the recent rains and a projected wet spring will help out a lot. It's a tough place to beat due to all of the campgrounds and overall size.

For those that like to camp, Lake Sinclair (where Saltyoysters and I hang out) is a really cool place. There are 2 large islands by the airport and Bass Boat House Marina is only about a 3 min ride from the island in case you need to use the facilities. Anyone interested can send me a PM.

kaneboats
01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Drew, that would be great if you could find out if there's any chance they will do the Jam this year.

moombadaze
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Drew, keep us updated and thanks for getting involved.

wolfeman131
01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Wolfman we might go surfing in 2 weeks if weather is good , i can pick you up at the powerplant by the chevron , hope you ride goofy.

Salty - check for PM

fingerstick
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
hey guys I live 10 minutes from redtop mountain and 5 minutes from where I put my mobius in,so as far as clean water and lake levels allatoona was fine last year.Don't believe everything you here about allatoona being so nasty! If I can help,just let me know.

moombadaze
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Finger-good to know. Last year was on lanier and i think they will have it on the same lake. Either way a bunch of us from down south will be making a trip north.

zegm
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
fingerstick,

Having grown up in Marietta and last living in Acworth I have tried on this board to tell them how much better Lake Allatoona is for inboard boating and camping and travel to and from. I was in a Panic towing my boat down Spagetti Junction last year when I bought it.
As you know it is much closer to an interstate (2 minutes top) so much easier to get to with a fraction of the traffic to deal with unlike Lanier. It is a better skiing lake with all those long narrow coves and it doesn't have all those Monster power boats on it. It has an awesome Campsite, Redtop. It has miles of Natural shoreline without houses with plenty of places to explore. It is no wonder that the Atlanta Ski Club is located on Allatoona. But the problem is Atlanta Marine is located at Lanier and I am sure it is much easier for them to put on a Jamboree in their backyard.

PS I did try to ski once on Lanier but after a couple of minutes I said enough of these Ocean waves!!!

kaneboats
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Daze, we could think about Alatoona or someplace for a couple days and trailer over to Lanier for the jam. On the other hand if we are up there during the week the water should be fine.

moombadaze
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Daze, we could think about Alatoona or someplace for a couple days and trailer over to Lanier for the jam. On the other hand if we are up there during the week the water should be fine.

I would not mind hitting Altoona a different time, however i think we would have about a hour and a half drive from Altoona to Lanier. Personally i would just as soon stay at Lanier and leave the boats in the water if thats were the Jamboree is. When i've been on Lanier during the week the water has always been flat calm-typical of any public lake. I dont think anybody would have a hard time skiing then.

zegm
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Gentlemen,

I realize that I am a little negative towards lake Lanier but please don't let that make all of those who intend to go to the Jamboree there think poorly of it also. I have heard great stories about last years Jamboree and I have heard that everyone had a great time so please continue with that thought. With the support of Atlanta Marine the Jamboree will be a great time for all as it is the people that go there that make it great!!!!

kaneboats
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
It was cool to leave the boats in the water at our campsites and just head out to the jam on Sat. If we go up on tues. or wed. we should get plenty of skiing, boarding, surfing, tubing, etc. in before the tidal waves on Sat.

moombadaze
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
It was cool to leave the boats in the water at our campsites and just head out to the jam on Sat. If we go up on tues. or wed. we should get plenty of skiing, boarding, surfing, tubing, etc. in before the tidal waves on Sat.

yep, plan to be worn out by saturday

moombadaze
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Gentlemen,

I realize that I am a little negative towards lake Lanier but please don't let that make all of those who intend to go to the Jamboree there think poorly of it also. I have heard great stories about last years Jamboree and I have heard that everyone had a great time so please continue with that thought. With the support of Atlanta Marine the Jamboree will be a great time for all as it is the people that go there that make it great!!!!

Zegm, with limited vacation-getting to either lake is difficult for us. I would really like to hit Altoona some time soon, i love a good road trip that ends at a lake with camping and boating involved. I know its not your favorite lake but do you think you will make it? camping? I have a favorite lake also and its not east of the rockie's.