PDA

View Full Version : anybody stack bags

moombadaze
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a 08 lsv that came with the gravity 3 system--rear bags are 400lb's. I bought a 750lb to use when surfing. What i do right now is just use the bigger bag only for surfing. What im wondering is can i use the 400lb bag using the boat ballast pump and then set the 750lb on top of it and use my tsunami pump to fill it and empty. I would end up with around 1050-1150lbs of surf ballast that way.

Any body see any concerns doing this or any thoughts??

sandm
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
doesn't the 750 fill the locker up from top to bottom?
if so, then why keep the 400 in at all?
use the other side as a "timer" to fill the 750 the same as the 400 on the other side when boarding. might be a little uneven this way, but people will help that out..
if you need more weight, use a covered 440 on the seat and strap to the tower.

Roachman
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I dont think you would have enough room in the rear compartment. You could fill the 750 in the rear compartment and then throw the 400 in the seat.

Sled491
01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree with Roachman

tazz3069
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Last time I went to the Lake, we stacked two 400 lb bags. I got a full 800 lbs plus 4 peps on the surf side. It was an awesome wake. Now I need to work on making the wake longer.

adsman
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I dont think you would have enough room in the rear compartment. You could fill the 750 in the rear compartment and then throw the 400 in the seat.

agree... i have an 07 LSV and the 750Lb sack pretty much fills up the rear compartment. I place a 400 in the seat behind the cooler and it extends into the rear compartment on top of the 750... im guessing i get about 300lb in it for a total of around 1050lbs hidden on the surfside.

I also stuff my other extra 400 in the bow under the seats on the surf side (that will help lengthen your wave) along with the center ballast full ... thats the most ballast ive run with (guess that works out to about 1850lbs)

adsman
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
i think we had the 750 and 400 along the side and the 400 up front in this shot (with 2 people in the boat)

kaneboats
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
That's a pretty strong wake right there, I don't care who you are.

moombadaze
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
adsman, you gave me a idea--i wonder if its possible to remove the built in cooler. i know it would have to be cut out but under it is just the floor of the boat and its allready capeted and place the 400lb bag under the seats. hidden ballast bag is what im after.

you kinda lost me when you said "I place a 400 in the seat behind the cooler and it extends into the rear compartment on top of the 750..." do you happen to have a pic of how this is?

adsman
01-13-2009, 02:39 PM
adsman, you gave me a idea--i wonder if its possible to remove the built in cooler. i know it would have to be cut out but under it is just the floor of the boat and its allready capeted and place the 400lb bag under the seats. hidden ballast bag is what im after.

you kinda lost me when you said "I place a 400 in the seat behind the cooler and it extends into the rear compartment on top of the 750..." do you happen to have a pic of how this is?

sorry, no pics of the setup for surfin (once im all filled up, Im too excited to take pics)

I'll try to clarify:

I place the 750 in the rear compartment on the surf side (fill with stock ballast pumps)
I place the 400 under the seats butted up against the cooler and about 1/3 of the bag extends into the rear compartment with the 750 (sometimes i stack the 750 on top, sometimes the 400 is on top... just depends)... fill with portable Tsunami

I agree with you on 100% hidden ballast.... with this setup, everythign is under the seats
Its a total bummer that the cooler is in the place that it is... its also too bad that it is not easily removable...regardless, I am happy with the amount of weight i am able to get under the seats and into the rear compartment on the surfside....

adsman
01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

HOWEVER... i am setup on the goofey side to have a nice open area under the seats for both bags with no obstructions... (too bad im the only goofey rider in my crew and 99% of the time I concede to riding on the correct side)

i attached some photos of the area behind the drivers seat minus the ballast...

newty
01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
You may also think about putting that 400 in the walk-thru for a nice long wake and have all your peeps sit on the surf side.
Oh and if anyone takes that cooler out I want to see how you do it. take pics!!
Thanks

moombadaze
01-29-2009, 08:38 AM
This weekend i spent about 4 hrs cleaning the boat and at least 20 minutes looking at that cooler- now i think it would be almost impossible to remove. Its fiberglassed in all the way around it. That would have let me put that 400lb bag under the seats out of sight. Putting it on top of the seats is not a real good option for me.

moombadaze
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Anybody know if a drimel with a small cutoff wheel could cut thru fiberglass?

Sled491
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Daze, of course it will, just have lots of them as they wear out and break really fast. Also remember a shop vac and face masks for you and your assistant.

the question would now be is the cooler set into any kind of foam insulation that has bonded to the outside of the cooler makeing its removal extremely frusturating :)

moombadaze
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Sled, there is no foam what so ever around it, on a cool day ice melts in a hour-we dont even use it. Ive never used a drimel before--any advise besides mask and gloves? If i do do this and it works the way im thinking nobody would be able to tell that i removed it.

Sled491
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
PHEW that's good to know.

On the dremel like I said just buy tonnes of the wheels, and get the fiber ones. They really do break very ofte. To the point of frusturation.

moombadaze
01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks Sled, if you click on the interior features of the lsv and then click on the star that shows the cooler you can kind see what im talking about. There is allready a finished edge that i would not be touching-this cooler is just held in place from under the seat base and is fully carpeted under there-its fully open front to rear.

Sled491
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Well then just go for it. Use some masking tape and a marker to make your line, take your time and all should go well. I would PU some of that black trim that just pushes over the edge of the glass after the cut to trim it out nice and proffesional and keep your ballast bags from getting torn up or worse punctured.

moombadaze
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Well i went and got a dremil and about 40 cutting wheels, mask, and gogle's. Weather is to be crappy this weekend so im going to give it a try. I'll take some pics as i go along.

kaneboats
01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Only a couple Yeunglings to steady your hand-- don't overdo it till the cutting is done.

Littlena
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Good luck!

moombadaze
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, Sled you were right about those breaking easily-WOW. Anyway did some test cuts were i could reach easily, that went well so i figured i would try for the hard places to start with. The cooler does not sit square and in one area i can not get the drimel up to were i want the cut to happen, so before any damage is done im calling it off. Suck's cause getting the bag under the seat would have worked really well and i would have gained 400lb at the cost.

Next up

Plan B

c.rix
01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, Sled you were right about those breaking easily-WOW. Anyway did some test cuts were i could reach easily, that went well so i figured i would try for the hard places to start with. The cooler does not sit square and in one area i can not get the drimel up to were i want the cut to happen, so before any damage is done im calling it off. Suck's cause getting the bag under the seat would have worked really well and i would have gained 400lb at the cost.

Next up

Plan B

after looking at mine i dont see what the problem is cut it from inside the cooler but I would pass on the dremmel and get a metal cutoff wheel theyre bigger last longer just cut lower than u plan and sand it to liking

moombadaze
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
i did not want to actually cut the cooler, i was trying to just cut the fiberglass that holds it in place. but i have not givin up 100% yet. you know how it goes measure 2 times cut once-

c.rix
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
i did not want to actually cut the cooler, i was trying to just cut the fiberglass that holds it in place. but i have not givin up 100% yet. you know how it goes measure 2 times cut once-

yes I totally understand that!! If your having a tough time getting into a tight spot you could get the dremmel attachment so its like a hand held dremmel pencil almost

moombadaze
01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
you could get the dremmel attachment so its like a hand held dremmel pencil almost

what attachment?

c.rix
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
they call it a flex shaft attachment check it out on there website see if you think it would help with your project

Sled491
01-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Daze C Rix is right and you should be able to get it at Home Depot no probs. You can also could go away from the cutting discs and go to a carbon tipped cutting tip like on Roto Zip and that way you can plunge straight in. Some of this idea may be lost in translation, any one else understand me and want to help out please chime in.

moombadaze
02-01-2009, 05:26 PM
cooler is out- i posted pics under the modification forum

thanks for the suport