PDA

View Full Version : Any Divers out there

Sled491
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Just curious if any of our brotheren are also Scuba Divers?

If so, has anyone ever dove Cozumel? And if so, has anyone stayed at Scuba Club? And if so, what is your feedback.

smokedog2
01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
yes, the rest no.

I have dove in Mexico (PV). I was not happy with the gear. I was in fact very unhappy with the gear. I should not have gotten in the water unhappy.

Go look at the gear the day before you go out.

Sled491
01-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks SD.

I'm going to a dive specific resort. My wife gave me this dive trip for xmas and am taking my own gear. Only thing resort supplies is weights and tanks. I hope to be hitting the water at least a dozen times during my time.

Sorry about your experience, equipement is a very personal thing. I spend hours working and reworking my set ups trying new things to get it just right, and introducing a new pc. of equip or working on a new skill always takes tons of care and preperation. In fact as I travel around the country I usually take my gear with me just in case. I have one gang box that I ship on the trucks with our tools and such that is just my tanks, wet suits, BC's, fins etc, etc.

I solo dive in my lake in WI and before I hit the water its a 1/2 hr of prep in the gararge, then a 1/2 hr of prep on the barge for a 1/2 hr dive.

kaneboats
01-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Sled, I would take up skydiving if I thought I could get you to pack my chute every time. The price of being careful is you get to live (or live without brain damage). I'm not a diver but I think it is a very cool thing I'd like to do someday.

Sled491
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
KB, you live in the right State that's for sure!

Sled491
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
There was a thing on TV a few months ago about a guy diving for gold balls in Florida. He got attacked by one of your big green lizards. He explained how he survived the attack and went through the whole experience. Very spooky!

aquaexceed
01-08-2009, 01:56 PM
We dive all the time...I am actually a Divemaster. That is why we originally bought the Yamaha AR230 to have the best of both worlds. A boat that we can dive from as well as wakeboard. Must say that the wake on the Moomba is much better though. Have not been diving in cozumel yet. We wanted to plan a trip to Riviera Maya which I believe is fairly close to cozumel. Our last dive trip was to the Galapagos. I highly recommend it to anyone, diver or not, as it is an incredible place that one must see in their lifetime.

Hodag
01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
The last time I dove was on my honeymoon - in cozumel, 20 years ago. Scuba club was'nt built yet, but I know friends who have been there and were happy with it. I had brought my own equipment as well, except for the tank. Even at over 100 ft down, water was still crystal clear. At that depth, you could still look up and actually see the boat. Best water I ever dove in.

smokedog2
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Only to save others, I will share a small part of my Mexico dive disaster (well, no one got hurt).

I’m going with my sister’s girlfriend, as her buddy for her certification dive. Her weight belt is way too long and the buckle tongue is cracked. I don’t like it, the tanks, or the tank screens which were green but we were on the boat before I saw the gear. My regulator was already on the tank. We had a bit of an altercation with the dive crew (master is NOT accurate) about me fussing with the gear when I wanted to pull the regulator off. Surprise, no o-ring.

At about 40-60 feet down I looked at Dana and the belt is several feet too long and waiving around. I headed towards her to tuck it (I really did not have a plan) when she hits the belt with her hand and knocks it free. She grabs the weights at her feet but they slide off the end, no weight clasp for the bullet weights.

I grabbed her and started dumping air from my BC, she did the same thing as we headed up. She did very well for a new diver.

Once a year in the winter I am forced to go with my wife, my sister and a few of my sister’s girl friends to someplace warm. . . . The things I do for family.

If we are diving, I’m paying to bring my own gear. I’d name the outfit I was using if I could remember it. They were the cheapest in PV. That should have been a clue.

SD2

Sled491
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Dude, being it was a check out dive I'm assuming you weren't too deep. That's a good thing for you and your sisters girlfriend, that's for sure. Diving accidents can be real painful to say the least. How deep did you asscend from? I hope she didn't give up on diving after that.

My worst expience with equipment was an O Ring blow out on a descent. I was at about 45 ft heading to 80 when the O ring blew. I was on a high volume 3 day dive and this was the 2nd dive on the 2nd day, I was having some problems clearing. So good and bad. I wasn't at 80 like every one else, but I was by myself.

The Charter boat captain and crew are all friends of mine so as I surfaced I gave the distress signal and they picked me right up. No harm done, but even though another tank was made available to me right away I decided to stay top side and recompose myself.

wolfeman131
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Sled,

I've dove Cozumel a few times and loved it. We took a cruise that hit both Cayman and Cozumel where we chartered our own trips. Both places are awesome for diving with great vis, corals and marine life, but Cozumel has the drift diving and it's effortless.

The only issues I had were self inflicted. We went through some caverns and my wife which made her a little nervous and she sucked up her air pretty quick. It forced us to surface before the dive master and the other 2 people we were with. As we were surfacing, about 10 ft from surface, one of the smaller dive boats came ripping right over our heads. We had double-checked to ensure we were clear and I still have no idea where that guy came from.

I also lost a contact lens (pre-Lazik) when I forgot to hold my mask tight enough as I did a backroll off the side of the boat. That made for an interesting dive b/c my vision was awful at 20/400. I had to dive with one eye shut and got a massive headache. Still, it was better than sitting in an office!

snowboardcorey
01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I dive and have been to Cozumel but had to cancel the diving due to what I can honestly say was the worst sinus infection of my life. The island is beutiful, I did a bunch of snorkeling and that was all very good. Heard nothing but the very best of the diving. I'll definitally be back!

In the town eat at Casa Denise!!! The best. Hands down.

It's also worth renting scooters (your on vacation so it's ok) and drive around the island. My wife and I drove to a beach on the south end where we were the only people in sight, 4' waves and just awesome. Bring cash, the two or three establishments that offer bevvies and food don't take visa.

aintskeered
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Sled when are you heading down to dive?? I have a trip planned for the end of the month to belize for Diving and some warm WX!

Sled491
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm heading to Cozumel Feb 19th for a week. Hoping to get to Baja for some diving at end of Jan, then hopefully to Florida for March to catch end of Lobster season and hook up with a few people I need to visit with + stop in NC to catch up with Butta and pick all my steel tanks I have in storage there.

1LOKMOOMBA
01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Just curious if any of our brotheren are also Scuba Divers?

If so, has anyone ever dove Cozumel? And if so, has anyone stayed at Scuba Club? And if so, what is your feedback.

We dove Cozumel in July with a Dive master from (Pappa Hogs) We dove 4 dives. Good price. The water was not as clear as I thought it should be. awesome dive anyway. Good luck.

aintskeered
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
well we will miss ya by about 10 days , I will try and let ya know how the water is just a little south of you dive location for Feb.