PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a an Outback V

axg1040
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
We are starting out search for a new boat. We have owned OB and sterndrive bowriders in the past. We are now looking for a dedicated water sports boat.
We mostly ski, knee board and take the kids tubing. We are by no means pros or anywhere close. We also want to start wake boarding once we get the new boat.
Here is some info:
We live in Virginia Beach, Va and will be using it on the ICW and Currituck Sound (both are brackish). We also make 2 trips a year to Lake Gaston in NC.
Where we boat on weekends it does get choppy (1ft give or take) later in the day. Can the Outback V handle this?? Any Outback V owners out there care to comment on any likes/dislikes?
Thanks.

deerfield
01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
axg - Ed is giving you good advice. With its deeper hull, in rougher water the Outback V will give you and your passengers a drier ride. The Outback DD is perfect for my family and the private lake on which we ski and wakeboard, but even on that relatively small body of water we sometimes take in water over the bow. It soaks whoever is up front and gets into the storage area. To stay dry and have a great all around boat, sounds like the V would be a great choice for you. - Deerfield

axg1040
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I recently took ownership of a 2009 Moomba Outback V. ( I previously owned a 2003 Moomba Outback Direct Drive).

I can say without hestitation and from experience, that the 2009 Outback V is the perfect boat for whatever watersport you want to get involved with.

It is under 20 feet in length and will not be restricted by any lake regulations.

With the wakeplate option it is a very good ski boat

with the wakeplate option and gravity 3 option it is a very good wakeboard boat

with the wakeplate option and gravity 3 option, upgrading to 750 lb fly-high sacs it is an outstanding wakesurf boat.

The new deeper hull design handles choppy water very well. I had my boat in some pretty rough water on New Years Day. Where the older Outback Design would have allowed water to come over the bow, soaking the carpet, the 2009 only had water entering the boat from airborne spray.

You can also turn the boat quickly to pick up a downed surfer without a wave coming in over the bow.

I simply love the 2009 Outback V. I can't say enough about it. If your going to end up being a surfer (and most people do) this is the Moomba to buy.

My only dislike about the boat is that when I'm getting ready to launch the boat, people keep coming up to me and want to check out the new hull design and talk about it for a half an hour.

Your dealer can hook you up with the appropriate accessories for salt water use.

If you care to try before you buy, I live near DisneyWorld and always happy and willing to take a future Moomba owner out for a ride.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/Moombaandmore050.jpg

Thanks for the info. The water in your photo looks very similar to where we boat. Sometimes it is smooth as glass early in the AM but later whips up a bit and looks like your photo. The more I read about the Outback V the more I like it.

Anyway you can tell me the storage measurements of the boat?? I want to store it in our garage. I have a 7' high door opening, double car width door and 23.5 feet of depth. I plan on getting a swing away tongue for the trailer.

Never tried wake surfing but it may be something to try if we decide to get the boat.

c.rix
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a 07 Outback v with the swing tounge It will fit with the swim platform on just put some foam pads on the wall and push it in gently!!!

axg1040
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I have a 07 Outback v with the swing tounge It will fit with the swim platform on just put some foam pads on the wall and push it in gently!!!

How deep is your garage??

Thanks!

RickT
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Axg,

You should not have any problem with a standard garage. If you elect the swingaway tongue and still leave the platform on...it will 22' long. If you remove the platform it will be under 20' 6". Should also be under 7' in height with the tower folded down, which is a pretty easy operation. Hope that helps

kaneboats
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Here, here!!!!!!!! Welcome aboard axg!!!

axg1040
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Axg,

You should not have any problem with a standard garage. If you elect the swingaway tongue and still leave the platform on...it will 22' long. If you remove the platform it will be under 20' 6". Should also be under 7' in height with the tower folded down, which is a pretty easy operation. Hope that helps

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for. It is also impressive that you took the time to answer a potential owner's question. Not many companies are willing to take the time to do so.
We really like the Outback V and are looking forward to getting a closer look at it.

c.rix
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
How deep is your garage??

Thanks!

23.5 feet exactly

Oh and Mine is the older outback v which is a bit longer overall than the new OBV

Reese350
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
AXG - My family is on our second Moomba and couldn't be happier. Great boats at great prices with a huge community of fanatically loyal owners. We started out with a DD Outback and then went to the LSV. Both tremendous boats that have really held their resale values. I was on Ed's new 2009 Outback V on New Years Day and I think that might just be the perfect boat. I don't think you can go wrong there. I would trade for one in a second.

zegm
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the boards!!!
If you get a chance also check out the LS! A few of us on these boards were interested in the Outback V's in the past but once we checked out the LS we picked it instead. Same hull as the LSV which is bigger than the Outback V but with a Direct Drive for the skiers in the family like we have. Moomba directly markets this boat for the skiers and the wakeboards, check out the wake pictures and notice that for this boat they show pictures for boarders and skiers.

kaneboats
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey, Z, good to hear from you. Have you been out of the country already?

moombadaze
01-06-2009, 08:25 AM
axg, if you get the v you will love it. Expect one thing from it---many years of trouble free service and fun. Im on my second moomba and would not hesitate for to get #3

axg1040
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the info. I have always owned bowriders (18ft Sea Ray OB and a 19ft Stingray I/O). We sold the Stingray 2 years back and have been Jet Skiing since then....we are very ready to get back into boating and watersports. Doing watersports off the back of a Jet Ski just is not the same.
Now we are trying to justify getting a dedicated watersports boat or going with a traditional bowrider again.

moombadaze
01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
axg, i was in the same situation back in 03-bowrider i/o or outboard--well with having a very young daughter at the time when we were at a boat show one of the salesmen pointed out the safety factor of the prop being tucked up under the boat. We got a v drive and have never looked back. These boats outhandle a i/o hands down-fun to drive, but there is a learing curve to backing up.

kaneboats
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Ditto here. I owned two bowriders before the Outback. I really loved both of them but there's no comparison to the joy with this one-- not to mention the power difference.

moomba07
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
ive got an 07 outback v and i really like it, all except moomba changed logos in 08 and now they got new styles and new designs for 09, that kind of upset me but ill stick with the 07. One thing about my boat is they dont make the color my accent stripe is in, in my area it is the only boat of its color combination so i like that. If your on a budget i would def go with an outback v.

axg1040
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
axg, i was in the same situation back in 03-bowrider i/o or outboard--well with having a very young daughter at the time when we were at a boat show one of the salesmen pointed out the safety factor of the prop being tucked up under the boat. We got a v drive and have never looked back. These boats outhandle a i/o hands down-fun to drive, but there is a learing curve to backing up.

I have yet to ride in one so I have not experienced the backing up part yet....
I have heard/read it is something to get used to. More so when backing to the starboard.

The only other thing is I am a bit worried that the Outback V will be a bit rough going unless conditions are flat on the water. I boat on the ICW that opens up into the Currituck Sound. It is nice and smooth early in the day but gets a bit whipped up later on. Typically you will see 1-2' chop later in the day. Think we will get beat to death in that????

kaneboats
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
ive got an 07 outback v . . . it is the only boat of its color combination . . .

You definitely have a unique color combination. I haven't seen that one anywhere I've been. Glad to have you chiming in on here.

Sled491
01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
AXG, your last question is your one major trade off. Tournament boats are just not designed to cut chop. In every other catagory they are just unbeatable. You will never own a quicker turning, harder accelerating, comforatable layout, watersports boat. If you want to ski then there is nothing out there that compares.

So you may have to run back to the landing a bit slower, just more time to enjoy your boat. A hard core skier myself and hardcore Outback fan, it pains me to say that the Outback is probably not for you. The older Outback V's would not be so hot either. The new OUtback V (2009) or a LSV, but probably The Mobius LS will be your best dollar value.

moombadaze
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Axg, Sled has some very good points-these are not rough water boats. That day i shot the photo of Ed's boat was by far the roughest water i have been in. Both boats handled the water ok but a deep v i/o would be no comparison. I did just go a little slower-keeping the bow up and enjoyed being out.

jclay5
01-06-2009, 10:49 PM
The boats make up for the roughness in every other category. There is no way you will ever ever regret the decision to buy a tournament inboard.

04OUTBACK
01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Moomba07.. I like the color combo w/ the stripe.. and you can change the decal if you like.. I currently have stripped my 06 LSV of the decals and have the 08 decals to replace when weather improves..
welcome..

Sled491
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
07, myself and a couple others have gotten custom 1/2 and full graphic wraps for our Moombas. But I do like the color, and those look like some kickin' lookin' tower speakers:)