PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Mobius LS - Weight?

hoochyglidaa
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the dry weight (including trailer) for my 1998 Mobius LS? I have a Ford Escape, and it is only capable of towing up to 3200 lbs with a Class II hitch.

If anyone knows if this will work, please let me know. Thanks
Tyler

Double D
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
It's going to be really close. I would bet with trailer included you are in that 2800-3200 lbs range.

Even if the boat and trailer are below your tow capacity, I would make sure there is a transmission cooler on it and I would check to see what kind of a rating you have on your tires. You may also have to change out your class II receiver for a class III receiver. I believe class II's are only rated for 400 lbs and depending on how that boat sits on the trailer and how it is balanced you may be exceeding that.

On flat ground you probably won't have much issues, but if you are having to go up and down hills or steeper boat ramps, you are going to have problems (just trying to be honest).

moombadaze
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
oldest year i could find info on was 2000

2000 ls weight is at 2450 lbs
single axle standard trailer is about 1000 lbs
add fuel gallon x 7lbs
gear and people ???

think you need to upgrade your tow vehicle to safetly tow-not saying you cant but its dicey at best and if something bad were to happen it could be real bad for you in the wallet-lawsuit

Double D
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Just talked with a good friend who used to pull his 18' Glastron around with his Explorer. He said after a couple of longer trips he said that the tranny started going bad. He said he called the dealership and they said "no problem". I would guess that boat is around 2800 lbs total. He is a tad bit harder on vehicles than most though. Said his Expedition has no issues.

moombadaze: good post. I concur.

Mikey
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Loaded with gear and people i'd guess your at or over weight quite easily.As mentioned above you could probably do it to get boat in and out of water but beyond that you are puttin yourself and others safety at Big risk. there was a post in the archives about this and a big lawsuit that was well worth reading. If anyone knows were to find it its worth digging up.

NCSUmoomba
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
This will not work, and I would not attempt it. The Escape only weighs about 3300 pounds. The boat and trailer weigh about 3400 pounds, with no fuel, gear, cooler or anything.

I used to tow my Outback with a V6 4x4 Ford Ranger. I am not sure how much that weighed, but I know it is more that an Escape. I could tow it around on the roads okay, but not great. It was slow to accelerate and slow to stop, but I made it work. The problem came when at the ramp. My boat would drag my truck down the ramp when launching, which is pretty scary the first time it happens. Also, when hauling the boat out, I had to be in low range 4x4 to get up the ramp. It was too stressful to deal with. I even blew the clutch out of the truck towing the boat one day. Now imagine doing the same thing in a lighter vehicle with less power and no low range. Best case, it will be embarrassing. Worst case, someone might get killed.

I now tow my Outback with a 5.4L V8 4x4 F150 that has a trailer towing capacity of 7700 pounds. It is a much better tow vehicle than my Ranger, although not perfect. The boat still feels like quite a load behind the truck. Becasue of the light bed, I still have to put the truck in 4x4 to get up the ramp withouht too much wheel spinning. You definitely know that you are towing something when driving. I did tow it once with a F250 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke, which was great. I didn't even know I had a boat behind me.

I would definitely not tow anything that is heavier than the tow vehicle. I think the rule of thumb is not to exceed 80% of the towing capacity for a safety factor. I am towing less that 50% of my capacity and it keeps me on my toes when driving.

I hope this helps.

BensonWdby
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Likek they said... I tow my 1999 Mobius with a Dodge Durango 4.9L V8, rated 4500lb towing. I am not too impressed.. It handles the landings and flat land OK. But hilly terrain - not as well.

mustangairchair
12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
i work at camclark ford i would not rec you try that that escape has a very light trans in it and it is half a truck as a witha small utility explorer . you may be all right with a small trailer but not a boat. i fix trans in escape they are poor on trailer with gas and gear and people you will be 3600 - 3800