PDA

View Full Version : Question before tower install

tysonma
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
I am getting ready to install the tower on my boat. I read that most ski/wakeboard boats hulls are thick enough to not need extra reinforcement. I have a 2000 kamberra. Does anyone know if I will need something else, like a fiberglassed in piece of plywood to add reinforcement? Any experience here or suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Tyson

RYAN
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
i added a tower to my 1998 outback, the tower i bought just had a plate behind it , so far it worked fine. i would recommend you always have some type of support behind it. i think sooner or later they will crack near or around mounting sites.

98outback
12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I added a couple more layers of fiberglass on my 98 outback and also used a piece of aluminum plate for a backing plate. My monster tower came with small backing plates but I figured the more you spread the load the better. I never had any problems and I had it on there 3 years before I sold the boat. On my new supra it has a good size backing plate from the factory. The fiberglass on my supra is also alot thicker than the fiberglass on the older moomba.

kaneboats
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Yea, if you use the backing plates you shouldn't have a problem. The idea is to spread the force around a bit. Just make sure the attachment point isn't real thin. If it is you can glass in a piece of something to strengthen it or use other bigger plates.

Membrain
12-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Be sure to place a piece of plate steel or aluminum underneath so that when you tighten each bolt, you will distribute the stress equally so as not to pull a bolt through the fiberglass. You can pre drill them to match your tower bolt pattern prior to installation. 1/8” plate steel would most likely be overkill, but is easy to get. 1/16” probably would be ok.

1LOKMOOMBA
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I am getting ready to install the tower on my boat. I read that most ski/wakeboard boats hulls are thick enough to not need extra reinforcement. I have a 2000 kamberra. Does anyone know if I will need something else, like a fiberglassed in piece of plywood to add reinforcement? Any experience here or suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Tyson

Please give me an update on your installation. I just ordered a tower today.
Thanks

tysonma
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I installed it today and everything looks good. All I put on the inside of the hull was the plates that came with it. The outside mounts are pretty flush w/the boat, however the inside is a little off, I plan on adding some reinforcement to the rear mounts just to be safe, either glassing in a piece of wood, or getting some marine wood and sanding it to make it flush w/the inside of the hull. Front mounts had plenty of glass, and fit much better than the rear.
1LOK I can send you pictures if you would like. I will tell you the toughest part was making all the right measurments. It was difficult finding common reference points on both sides of the boat to make all the mounts equal. Drilling was no problem. Make sure you get an early start, we worked into dark today!
Thanks guys!
Tyson

1LOKMOOMBA
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I installed it today and everything looks good. All I put on the inside of the hull was the plates that came with it. The outside mounts are pretty flush w/the boat, however the inside is a little off, I plan on adding some reinforcement to the rear mounts just to be safe, either glassing in a piece of wood, or getting some marine wood and sanding it to make it flush w/the inside of the hull. Front mounts had plenty of glass, and fit much better than the rear.
1LOK I can send you pictures if you would like. I will tell you the toughest part was making all the right measurments. It was difficult finding common reference points on both sides of the boat to make all the mounts equal. Drilling was no problem. Make sure you get an early start, we worked into dark today!
Thanks guys!
Tyson

Please send pics. I should get my tower in a couple of weeks. Glad your install went well.