PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Help

aquaexceed
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Hopefully you are all bored and will be able to help me out since there are so few questions these days. We will be a new owner of a 07 LSV this Friday. This will be my first Moomba and my first V-Drive. We also have a Yamaha AR 230. The difference between these two boats is vast. The Yamaha is a 06 and still looks new with alot of work. I researched on how to really take care of the boat. Like I said there are major differences between the two so I do not even know where to start with the Moomba. So my questions are:

Where is a good website to purchase aftermarket products?

The boat will be used sometimes in brackish water so what is the procedure for washing the internals? I believe there is a hose adapter that can be purchased and installed?

Do most of you change your own oil? I change the oil on our Yamaha - Have an oil extractor - it is pretty easy once you know the steps. Is there a tutorial for changing the oil on the LSV?

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

qb12
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
go to skidim.com for all your needs.

yes you can change the oil yourself along with almost all the other maintance.

kaneboats
12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
You can search these boards for any maintenance topic and find out everything you need to know about oil changes, impeller, winterizing, brackish water, etc. Welcome aboard!

moombadaze
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Mark, congrats on the boat, i have a 08 lsv and love this boat.

Try and makes plans and come up to Clearmont on news years day--little mini jam get together.

Maintence on these boats is very easy-oil change should be simillar to your squirt boat. Never been in salt or brakish with mine so not sure on flushing. Back when i had seadoos i would go in the gulf-when done i would just back down a freshwater lake ramp and let it run for 5-10 minutes to flush and rinse the trailer off.

one work of advise--get some velcroe pads for the seats. look under your drivers seat cusion-the factory put some there on mine-ive had seats come loose and float around while towing. if needed i can take some pictures of what im talking about

Stacy

aquaexceed
12-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Guys thanks for the tips.

Has anyone put sacraficial anodes on their boats? I did a search and could not find an answer to this. I am wondering where to get one and where it would go?

I did get the flush kit and got it installed. Pretty easy to do.

Thanks Again!

deepcove
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
You can put a zinc anode around your prop shaft. I do this as well I have 2 more tear drop shaped ones attached where my wake plate attaches to the boat. I take out 2 of the attachment screws and put them back in with the anodes on top of where the plate mounts. I also have another anode in my closed cooling tank.

All these get changed annually.

aquaexceed
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info DeepCove. Where did you purchase the annodes?

TL7
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the family!

We ride exclusively in a brackish river. After every trip I flush the motor for 5-10 minutes, depending on how salty it was that day. We have an 07 Outback, and it looks as good as the day we bought it. Prior to this boat we had a 99 Sea Ray that we used in the same river. 8 years later, I traded it in for almost 2/3 what we paid for it new. With a little TLC they will last quite a while and look as good as you want them to.

One thing to consider...not a bad idea to use a fake o lake and cycle fresh water through your ballast periodically. I have no idea if there are parts in there that can corrode and eat away, but no sense in tempting fate!

I had the initial 20 hour service done at the dealer. They not only change the oil, but they check out other stuff and make sure the boat is performing the way it's meant to, so I figured I'd let them do it for peace of mind. Since then I've handled the oil changes. The first time I did, I made the mistake of not running the motor long enough and the oil took forever to drain. I was using the drain line at the bottom of the pan. It may be easier with an extractor, but I have visions of spilling the canister and oil running all over the carpet. At any rate, the oil changes shouldn't be an issue for you.

Enjoy the boat!

deepcove
12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
You can purchase the annodes at any marine store. I live on the West Coast of Canada so they are pretty easy to find around here.