PDA

View Full Version : True sign of the Times

Sled491
12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I was talking with a fellow board member last night and he broght up a good point. Remember this site last year at this time. Man it was buzzing! People were getting stoked about the boat shows, asking questions about options, deals, and bragging about there ideas for color schemes.

Current owners were going on about winter projects and add ons. There was back and forth about aftermarket products, advice was being sought about latest gizmos and widgets. Pictures were being posted about last summers fun and next summers plans.

All I can say is that this economy sucks, and appears to have sucked our zest for comradery and passion for our favorite passtime. I think that while many are feeling the squeeze this will all pass, and while I didn't vote for the coming administation I must put my faith and convidence in there ability to get us through. I want my buddies back, excited about new boats, purchasing goodies and getting excited about next summers trips and get togethers.

So who out there is planning on a new boat? Lets hear about it and maybe let us put our two cents into your plans. Let us live vicariously through you!

There has been plenty of excitment about these new wrap ideas, I myself have jumped on that band wagon. What else is new in our industry? A senior member spoke of possible cut backs on Jamborees. Maybe there is a way we can work together to make this coming summers get togethers even better. By getting involved we could make these gatherings even more ....I don't have the word but you get the idea.

So what do you guys say! Lets start yaking it up again, start stepping on each others toes, and lets remember that we are part of the biggest, baddest, Tournament Boat, forum out there.

smokedog2
12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
The office Christmas party was mostly boat launch stories.

That was fun.

There are always people that do not even know there is a lake in the area, much less where it is.

zegm
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
OK here is my start! I got the boat in the garage!!!! After reading post about lowering the tower and using towels to protect the gel coat (which we did, thanks!!!) MrsZ and I backed her almost all the way in the garage. We remembered last years post about not clearing the door opening so we stopped and notice that yes we will not clear either. HOWEVER!!! It was just a simple thing to unhook the trailer from the Touareg (The Worlds Most Awesome Tow Vehicle) lowered the jack down some and pushed her on in (by hand). Then we pulled the pin on the trailer and pivoted the tongue around and with a few inches on front and rear we had her in!!!! OK this weekend I need to drain the block (I know some of you have had temps below freezing already!) and then she will be out of the weather (OK Again, just the rain down here) until next March! So to keep this going, anybody have any suggestions on paddle john (thin 2mm) wet suits??? I can buy them now (help the economy) and use them for kayaking our winter sport and when March comes we can get back to skiing and keep using them until May when the water will be nice and warm!!!

jclay5
12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Sled I wasn't here a year ago, but every time I look at this it blows my mind.

Most users ever online was 208, 05-10-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Where did everyone go!!!? I guess it could be the economy but I'm all for people coming back and talking, sharing ideas, photos, and asking questions. It is the antidote to my winter time blues.

Sled491
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Ah "launch stories", the best, our local radio station did a whole contest on the best launch stories.

Z, can't help you with the paddle johns, but can suggest a good diet to add a nice insulating layer to your already stout exterior :)

Jclay, amen brother and glad to have ya!

moombadaze
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Sled, i know exactly what you talking about--i noticed the slow down on the boards also.

New years day mini jam at lake minneola--starting the year of right-hanging with a bunch of MOOMBA maniacs.

Now i just need a wet suit so that i can at least use the 4.00 a gallon gas in the boat so i can refill with 1.61 a gallon

Razzman
12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I just saw yesterday where Centurion Boats has cut production by 50%, as well as staff. Not a good sign for the industry.

sandm
12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I really think that boats, along with rv's and sports cars are fast becoming classed as "luxury items" again, especially for the middle class, and would suspect that the boat shows this year will be sparsly attended and sales very slow. those that already have boats are either still active with jobs and on here(such as the groups now), or have lost jobs and forums about boats are a dream for the time being.
I, for one, would love to upgrade to a new boat, either a launch22ssv or an enzo230, but mine has depreciated so much in the last 6-8months that it doesn't make sense to do so now, and would bet that others are seeing the same thing.

I am guessing that it will pick up in the spring, but probably not to the levels in the past, and bet that the lakes will be a little emptier this coming summer, even with lower gas prices..

just my .02

silverski
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Sled - You said exactly what I have been thinking. I am not a huge poster on the board, but I enjoy reading what people are saying. Traffic is obviously down as I can go a week between reading the board and can "catch up" in a few minutes. It will be interesting to see what happens when Spring comes as I think peole are just freaked out and not spending anything even if they do have the money. I would think that the Moomba line would be better positioned than any of them to get through this period. Value has become even more important than it was before.

zegm
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Another bad sign, Century Boats located here in Panama City has shut down for 3 months!!!

Razzman
12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
And yet another, both NorCal boat shows cancelled this year! :(

maxpower220
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
As a previous owner of MC, I still occassionally get emails from them. This week, I got an email stating that MC was giving rebates of up to $25,000 off of new boats. This is an interesting time for all types of businesses. I will investigate this rebate deal next week.

kaneboats
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
It's going to take a while to dig out of this mess. But, if you already own a boat and gas is cheap it should make for an OK season next year. If you don't own a boat it should be a great time to get in. If you need to sell your boat to upgrade (like most of us), you'll probably be in a holding pattern for a while. It's been 80 here two days this week but of course this was during the week while we're all at work or school Ugggghhhhh!!

Sled491
12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
That MC 25k rebate was run this summer as well. Requires a little howmwork and due diligence on your part to get the money. But as was mentioned when that deal was out this summer, 25k off of a 80 k boat is still more than a brand new Moomba!

zegm
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah i got the 25k off MasterCraft email. One thing about MasterCraft somehow they knew we owned one even when it was over 30 years old; they would send us flyers in the mail or an occasional email. And to make my point here we never went to one of their dealers for parts or anything??? Do they have someone scouring tax records in every county???

Yes it has been warm and sooooo foggy that I am not sure it would be safe out on the lake. We had a visitor at the house a couple of days ago and you couldn't see the boat dock in the back yard the fog was so thick.

The fun thing at the house now is when neighbors come by and ask where is your Moomba? When I take them out to the garage and show it stuffed in there they can't believe it! I love that breakdown tower and the hitch coupling!!!

Sled491
12-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Must be a slow day a work for every one. There is more going on on the site right now that the last week :)

sandm
12-19-2008, 12:44 PM
That MC 25k rebate was run this summer as well. Requires a little howmwork and due diligence on your part to get the money. But as was mentioned when that deal was out this summer, 25k off of a 80 k boat is still more than a brand new Moomba!

they had that same deal at the boat show in the late summer of '07 and again at the boat show in the spring of '08. it's UP TO $25k. I was looking at an x-2 originally and it was only 10k off of that boat, still making it mid 50's loaded up. you get the money back in 3 years, and it takes some hoops to jump through to get it, and a very compressed timeline. It def. makes mastercraft boats look a little more affordable, but you still have to make the initial payments up front on the full price or outlay the full cash for 3 years.

and yea, seems to be a lot of activity on here lately. I'm bored at work, so that's my excuse.... 20deg and snowy here :(

kaneboats
12-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I got the e-mail and the one about the new 300M or whatever Chrysler they're unveiling next. I don't know how they found me. I owned a Mastercraft trailer for a while-- maybe they figured I needed a boat for it.

Sled491
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm stuck in the Phoenix airport trying to get home for xmas. Milwaukee airport still showing closed and US Air says to hold tight. But all other flights have been canceled. I hope they don't leave me sitting here all day and cancel anyway:(

kaneboats
12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Looks like it's mostly passed on. You may get out of there yet today. Good luck!

Sled491
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I've moved up to the US Air Club lounge. The masses are getting angry and even if the weather has mostly passed the airport still shows closed. Man I hate traveling this time of year. Maybe next year I'll just bring my family out to me:)