PDA

View Full Version : Norcal Freeze

SanMarzano
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Im in the Sacramento area. Looks like we will be down to 27 tonight. The boat is garaged but I have not winterized yet......Think there will be any issues?? Id pull the plugs in the engne but I hsve a broken hand..................

jester
12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I have heard of people putting a shop light in the engine area to keep some heat on it. I dont know if that will work or not. Also if you have a heater or shower you need to keep them above freezing. They will creack before the engine does. Hope this helps.

bstroop
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I've had my boat garaged for 3 seasons now and no winterizing because we still get out in dry suits. It gets down to the teens here in the winter. No issues at all.

Sled491
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't want to be called up later and told my engine frooze and my block cracked so pay up, but you should be fine. I would find it hard to believe that the garage will get below freezing on the inside. Your concrete floor holds too much heat for that to happen from a couple of overnight cold snaps.

BensonWdby
12-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Agreed - garage is probably OK. But a floodlight or shop light with a high watt bulb, under mooring cover to contain the heat, should guarantee no problem. In MN the garage is typically at least 10 degrees warmer (attached garage)

SanMarzano
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I bought an electric oil filled heater that should get me through the next 2 nights

kaneboats
12-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Just be careful with those electric heaters. A good light bulb in the garage will do the trick.