PDA

View Full Version : shaft lock nut leaking

LSV04
12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey, Well thanks to cab's genius winterizing summary my boat is in storage and saved me $380!!!! I know, the marinas here are overpriced. Anyway, I still have thais excessive drip from the shaft lock nut that I heard can happen over time. Last season I had to check the hull every 12 hours for water because my bilge pump was burning out. My marina wants $850 to repair it. I hear of people doing it themselves but how the hell do you get to it. I could just about get a wrench in there to tighten the nut which helped a little. Anyone ever tackle this problem and what are the steps. Thanks

lee
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Try tightening the nut a little tighter and see if that helps if not you will need to separate the nut and replace the packing.

Waynes345
12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey, Well thanks to cab's genius winterizing summary my boat is in storage and saved me $380!!!! I know, the marinas here are overpriced. Anyway, I still have thais excessive drip from the shaft lock nut that I heard can happen over time. Last season I had to check the hull every 12 hours for water because my bilge pump was burning out. My marina wants $850 to repair it. I hear of people doing it themselves but how the hell do you get to it. I could just about get a wrench in there to tighten the nut which helped a little. Anyone ever tackle this problem and what are the steps. Thanks

Might just be the shaft packing needs replacing. This is the procedure from SC for doing it. Took me about a half hour being very deliberate. The packing material is cheap from Discount Inboard Marine.

Replacing and Adjusting the Shaft Packing.
- Replace the shaft packing. Be sure to install two or three pieces.
- Loosen the jam nut on the shaft-packing gland.
- Back the gland nut off the packing gland assembly.
- Dig out all the old packing material.
- For a one inch shaft, cut two to three pieces of 1/4"dia. packing material strips so they are 4 1/8". Place one of the packing strips into the packing nut. The end should butt together. Place another piece in the packing nut, this time orienting the seam 180 degrees from the seam of the first piece.
- Slide the packing nut up the shaft.
- Slide the shaft through the Packing gland assembly and into the strut.
- Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
- Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
- Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

If you want to add the third piece of packing, do so when you back the nut off after you packed the packing. Then tighten the nut only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.

mustangairchair
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
if you boat guys want 850 to replace your shaft packing you need to find a new repair place.the packing 6.00 and at the most 1 hours work. the hardest part is digging out the olds packing and dip your new packing in oil before putting it in lasts longer the oil will lud so it does not wear as much and swells the packing.

kfechner
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a leak that is coming from underneath the blue rubber hose on my drive shaft? I have tightened and replaced the hose clamps that are around it, but it is still coming in pretty good....does anyone know how to fix this?

danimal365
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
sounds like you have the dripless seal. I think the blue hose feeds the water into the shaft.