PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Watersports Complex

Reese350
12-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Looks like we'll head to Orlando for Christmas this year and my kids are itching to board. Anyone heard of this place? I'm wondering if the cable pull is worthy? It says they are open in December but I'm wondering how the water would be.

Scott

Reese350
12-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Cool, thanks Ed. I think we'll give it a try. The boys are going stir crazy with all of our lakes frozen over. I'll let you know how it goes.

ian ashton
12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I stopped by there in August when I was in the area, I didn't ride but it looked pretty cool. Here are a coupe of pics I snapped while there;

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1812&stc=1&d=1228930155

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1813&stc=1&d=1228930163

deerfield
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Ian - Nice pics! You get around. - Deerfield

ian ashton
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Yea, I definately make the rounds. This year I've gone to Chicago (probably 5 times), Orlando, Charlotte, Dallas, San Francisco (twice), Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Tennesee (Moomba factory tour!), and probably a bunch of other places I've forgotten about, lol. I usually go for 'work' but I always try to check out the local boating scene where ever I'm at.

wake08
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Reese,

You should check out Orlando Wakeboarding Academy. I went there last winter and it was a blast. Sean Obrien is a pro wakeboarder who rides on the tour and his friend Derek is just as awesome. My girlfriend learned to ride from these guys and she has not looked back since. You can buy by sessions and they are very flexible on time. I am going back in February to ride.
www.orlandowake.com

jclay5
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I'd love to get my girl lessons there... but I don't understand what anyone could possibly learn in 30 min.. what is that instructions and one pull?

wake08
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
With going you are not there for one 30 minute set, you should plan on riding 3 sets in one day until your arms are ready to fall off. Also, the goal is not to teach you inverts in one day but to teach the correct techniques so you can take them home with you and advance. They look at the most basics of your stance to correct edging, handle position and spotting your landing. You learn bad habits riding by yourself and weekend warrior friends and you are litterally learning from the pros.

Reese350
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info and pics guys. We are definately going to hit a couple of these while we're there. I want to try out the cable so that's a must. I'll report out in the new year!

Sled491
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I've spent plenty of hours at the Cable park in Orlando. I would definately make sure you have wetsuits. What I liked best about the place was that you can rent time behind real boats if you want. For me skiing on the cable really sucked, so I switched to 30 min behind there ski boat. Always worked perfect for me.

Reese350
12-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, we're planning to do an hour a day behind the boat and then a couple hours wakeboarding on the cable. I've heard skiing on the cable is tough but wakeboarding is ok. We're just psyched to get out in the middle of the winter.

Reese350
12-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey Ed,

We will get to Orlando on the Dec 22nd and head to Cape Canaveral on the 29th for a few days to take the kids to Kennedy Space Center and kick around on the coast. We are staying in Lake Buena Vista while in Orlando. It will be my wife and I with our 3 little skiers just escaping the snow and ice for a few days. My 7 year old is a die hard boarder and slalom skier and my 9 year old just boards. The 7 year old has barefooted a little but I wouldn't say he's got that nailed yet. Our 4 year old skis a bit but isn't too sure about it just yet. He's our official "rope manager" whose job is to keep the rope out of the prop. He takes it very seriously. :) We will be bringing our boards, ski's, and jackets because we figured everyone would enjoy it more if they had their own stuff rather than renting.

We've been thinking of taking up surfing so Martha might give us the perfect reason to invest in some new Ballast bags if something works out. We have a 2006 LSV today but we only have the center bag right now. It would be great to meet up with some fellow Moomba folks while down there but understand that it's a busy time for everyone. Let me know if you are headed out any that week and would like some seasoned boatmates for company.

Cheers
Scott

moombadaze
12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll second that Ed's wife Tamy is a great coach-oh maybe he's talking about his second wife Martha:p

I drove by my lake sunday and there were some guys out wakeboard with no wet suits on.

Reese350
12-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Sounds great Ed. Let us know what works best for you guys and I will book the OWC around it. Sounds like I better put in a last minute request to Santa for some wetsuits. I will PM you my cell number so we can connect.