PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Repair

jclay5
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Has anyone had any success with do-it-yourself vinyl patch and repair kits? I have a few small tears here and there that I want to repair this winter, and I'm trying to decide if I want a professional to repair it or if I should order a kit and attempt it myself.

zabooda
12-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I've never had good success patching. I take the section into an upholsterer and change out the vinyl.

kaneboats
12-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Or order exact Moomba colors from Great Lakes Skipper and recover yourself.

jclay5
12-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I thought about that but one of the tears is on the engine compartment where there are two different colors. So does that mean I would have to cut and sew the colors together? Or do they send you the exact cut and all I gota do is staple it on?

qb12
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
you might check and see if you have a local vinyl doctor. when i used to have my outback i had a couple of tears and it cost me around $100 to repair them and you could not see them.

kaneboats
12-05-2008, 02:31 AM
I can't even sew a button on. I did most of my interior by stripping the vinyl myself, doing all the prep work, providing the material and then reinstalling. The shop only sewed the new covers using the old ones for patterns. Saved a fortune.

bergermaister
12-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I've got a few tears to take care of in the off season too on my motor cover. I'm curious if you got a full quote for interior and then the do-it-yourself quote. How much did you save?

If I recall my motor cover (big one piece, not sections, with multiple colors) and the rear upper seat cushion were going to run me about $750 complete for the shop to do it.

Taking the cover off and stripping it would be pretty easy I think. Then I'm just into it for materials and a little labor - like you.

jclay5
12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
berge,

I've got a few places here and there that need to be restitched. The threads in the stitching have just started coming loose but its not much. I also have a few spots that aren't in the stitching they are just small tears that would have to be patched.

I am also trying to figure out the best way to do this because there is no way I'm going to have my interior replaced... its just not that bad. However I do want these small flaws repaired or they will get worse.

I've got the same exact type of interior as you so I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of this.

Gah, its winter and it seems like all there is to do is spend money on the boat. When its summer I'm just like forget it all i wanna do is drink beer and board.

mustangairchair
12-17-2008, 10:28 PM
it is not a good idea to repair that part because you sit on it and it flexxes and it will crack again. i had a repair man come look at mine. i am ordering a new piece of vinyl from e bay great lake skippers and taking it to my boat guy to saw a new piece in and make me a cockpit cover.

bergermaister
12-18-2008, 12:53 AM
My vinyl cracks are right on the back (hinge) edge. Where everybody sits and constant traffic climbing in and out of the boat at the beach. I think a repair or patch wouldn't last very long so I have to go for the whole cover. Maybe they can beef it up a little to avoid this problem in the future.

I hear ya jclay - for some reason I can justify that the boat needs "a lot of stuff". Summer, Winter, whenever!

-Berg

brentsmiley
12-28-2008, 01:11 AM
It all depends on how you want it to look. I redid most of the vinyl in my old boat. WAY less than having a shop do it, but it looked like I did it myself. No stitching, no double colors. Held up fine though.

I have to make that decision this winter too. I'm leaning toward just buying the fabric and doing it myself again. The only areas in need are the rear cushions and the bump seat behind the engine cover.

I'll lose the piping and stitching, but have noticed that is usually where the tears happen.

Just my two cents worth.

kaneboats
12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
You have to weigh the age of the boat and how long you are going to keep it against the aesthetics. For me, buying the material and having covers made was the right call. I can stretch and staple pretty good from recovering chairs and chests and stuff around the house. If you do it yourself-- splurge and get the stainless staples or you will regret it.