PDA

View Full Version : Help with an outboard control box (throttle)

smokedog2
12-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, I have an outboard as well - and I broke it.

I jammed the throttle forward (or maybe reverse) before dropping the choke/ high idle lever.

Now when I throttle back the choke lever rises and I end up with a racing engine.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It is a 2000 Honda Outboard and controler but I suspect most controllers are the same.

I did this years ago and the dealer fixed it. I don't recall what he charged but the control box is $300 new.

I'd settle for an outboard specific message board on which to post.

tx

SD2

In other news I shot the biggest deer of my life this year. A very nice 8 point. My son, however, shot a 12 point that is going on the wall, it has an 18.5" spread. I cannot get so much as a ooh or an ah for my very nice deer. My son has sucked up all the oohs an ahs for himself.

I have this great deer an I an oohless and ahless. Its not fair. I shot a big deer to you know!

04OUTBACK
12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Congrats on the Deer.. Not getting to hunt yet this year... Missed opener due to family Thanksgiving get together...now will be out for a while taking care of the wife...
Glad to know there are a few hunters on here too.. Hunting pays my bills!

kaneboats
12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
A few years back I had an Evinrude box where the warm up lever quit working/broke. I pulled the box off the mount and popped it open. The lever was completely worn out so that it wouldnt' operate or retract the way it was supposed to. I ordered a new one and replaced it. It was about $34 plus shipping and tax from a local parts supplier. I think you may be able to CAREFULLY open the control box and see if there is something amiss or worn out. Good luck!

Sled491
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the Hunt. Was tough sledding here in WI this year, but got a nice Doe last Morning or the regular gun season. My 7 and 8 year olds come out to help me pull it out, great memories.

Now onto to your throttle box. I have an old Merc on my barge with a similar set up and have had problems in the past so I have had it apart.

Everything is gear driven (porbably), and held together on a single pivot. Carefully crack the halves of the case and loosen the axle nut. It should be simply a matter of sperating the gears and realigning them where they should be.

Only two problems I see you running into, is 1, they have gone to plastic gears and you broke some teeth. 2. something in the cable is actually the real problem, so that even if you get everything ligned up again I might continue to happen due to a pinch or something similar.

Hope this helps a little :)

04, there is always next year!

mustangairchair
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
the contols are just leavers that at a spicifice place it moves the shifter to. i can't see the problem being in the controls. take the hood off and see if the shifter leaver and the throttle leaver are up and down, or if the little clips that hold the cable sheath are in the right place if they viberate open the sheath can move back and forth and will not move the throttle.

yearround
12-11-2008, 07:27 PM
i can't help on the throttle, but congrats on the deer! i konw that some may not like the pics, but post them up wit ha warning for the viewers! i like big deer pics!

smokedog2
12-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I'll work on a deer pix link.

This is the contoler opened up.

http://duckboatthrottle.shutterfly.com/

I opened the controller up and a plastic piece shaped like a Q tip end but solid has a female end on another plastic pin. Appears free floating, no spring. Pin on other plastic piece sheared and I removed the Q tip. Plastic between metal plates is also torn up but will function.
I plan to run without the Q-tip end- at least a test run.
Anyone know if it will run without the Qtip end? Anything really dangerous?

smokedog2
12-14-2008, 12:57 AM
The deer and a couple others are now in my "profile." I'll have to beef that up later.

The camera date is off a year.

SD2

deerfield
12-14-2008, 09:13 PM
SD2 - From what location was the top of the world photo taken? - Deerfield

yearround
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
nice pic, looks like a happy kid to get!

i went snow skiing saturday, i think they give snowboarders reduced rate lift ticket because they smooth all the runs out when they slide down. but i think am am going to try it myself next weekend. btw, i have $24 lift tickets to copper Mtn CO for this coming Saturday, if you can make it, let me know.

kaneboats
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Man, I love Copper. Can't wait to get back there.

Sled491
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
SD, the problem would be only if the Q tip thingy needs to help the throttle and shifter work together. So that as you move from neutral to forward the q tip thing moves that cable. Then it lets it float as you continue to give throttle. Then as you back off and return to neutral or even shift into reverse the q tip thingy would engage that eccentric again.

This is exactly (but way more modern) what I was talking about with my old Merc set up.

smokedog2
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Skiing was at Breckenridge. We will not make it back this year.

deerfield
12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
SD2 - Three pictures of construction at Breckenridge. New lift station and resort. Taken in November. Breckenridge is a family favorite for us. - Deerfield