PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Outback AWSA Certified

BensonWdby
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Short list of approved slalom towboats:

http://www.usawaterski.org/default.asp?Display=478

Laz
11-11-2008, 11:06 PM
That was actually a factor in buying a Moomba.

BTW, I noticed the first V drive to be certified. I wonder what it must be like skiing behind.

I know that there is a very significant difference between the outback and outback V wake.

Mikey
11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
The first Vdrive to be certified ,The MC214V apparently is awesome.I had the chance to talk to the owner of the local dealership here and due to being the #1 volume dealer he had a rare opportunity to go test drive and ski behind one and all he had was praises for it.He said he was looking forward to see how many skiers will make the switch from pure skiboats to a very capable Vdrive with the comfort features to go with it,and ski hard at the same time.
This same dealer at there Edmonton outlet also happens to be a Moomba dealer as well and he has told me a couple times The Moomba Outback DD is a very under rated and very capable Skiboat as well.Maybe to make me happy ,but I know my boat does well and i couldn't be happier,as the result of the above posting go to show.

maxpower220
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM
After reading the article, I was a little disappointed at the requirements to be considered for the test. Basically, it seems that the companies must belong to "the right clubs" and sponsor "the right events" before their boat will even be evaluated. I probably thought wrong, but in the past (the 90s) it seems like ever boat out there was "approved".
Good for MC on a Vdrive. Serious skiers (38-43 off) will probably never switch over, but for us morals it would be a nice family option.

Sled491
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I think that while the MC V drive made the cut, you will like the fact that your Outback is about 20k less out the door. My question is, if a MC Vdrive can get the sanction, why can't the Mobius LS?

jmvotto
11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
the mc 214v drive is lacking in the seating arrangement as well as the price tag.

Sled good point on the LS,

I will have to see where my v drive wake is at 38 mph, probably flat but 6-8 mph over my ski speeds on my lake. I only race at those speeds LOL:)

zabooda
11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I think the requirements are used to ensure company involvment in the sport at all levels which is a good commitment. It makes the sport stronger and ensures the existence of the AWSA. Good company of boats that Moomba matches up with.

Mikey
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
My first question would be, has Moomba even tryed to have the LS certified?
I'd be willing to bet there are substantial costs involved plus all the hassle ,ie promotional etc that is involved just to have a boat deemed for consideration. I'd be willing to say there are other boats that are and could be in this group as well but the Builders/manufacturers just don't think it justifies the costs involved.
Similar to having a product deemed safe, with a CSA or USFDA stamp of approval.Large costs involved and not always enough of a reward to continue with this level of certification for certain products.

moombabound
11-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Interesting.

1. If the bigger CC, MC & Malibu's (Malibu discontinued their smaller DD's) can make it , maybe the LS would have a shot. SC must have a good reason for not trying to qualify it, or it failed the test. It was listed 99-01 on the approved history list OldeBoy just posted (diff thread) but maybe that hull was different than now.

2. For us average wake-fumbling skiers, of the 11 tests, I doubt 10 of them amount to a hill of beans. Just the Slalom Wake Evaluation matters (and maybe Slalom Spray for some, though I'll never get to a short enough rope that boat spray will ever be an issue).

3. Seeing the test results and list of boats applying would be interesting. (i.e. Wonder which ones failed and why).

4. As was posted elsewhere, kudos to MC for innovating a ski-able V. It was likely under tight scrutiny to get the AWSA stamp. On another board, early test skiers are raving about the wake. I was at a Moomba/Mastercraft event night last night where at least a dozen boats were displayed, but the X14V was still a week away. Too bad. But I did FINALLY get to crawl all over the 2009 Outback V.

5. Most interesting from this and OldBoy's thread is that MC, CC & Malibu all within the last couple of years have had a V-drive AWSA approved. All recognize the dire need for a balance between ski friendly wake and multi-sport/family space.

6. Moomba went the other direction (at least per their Marketing statements); orienting the best candidate (Outback V) toward a wake/surf machine. (Though this Board awaits unbiased feedback from skiers).

Sled491
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm afraid SC may have been listening to people other than the average crossover family when they decided to redesign the Outback V. I think they did go to people to ask opinions, but judging from what they have been doing on the boards and saying I think they felt they had the opinion of a majority.

While I believe the Outback V is probably a very good boat, I also believe they went completely away from the crossover idea that is being embraced by other manufacters and most importantly capitilized on.

The fact that MC was able to get there new V Drive AWSA certified, I think shows this very clearly.

moombabound
11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Sled, I think your comments are bang-on.

Maybe five hulls isn't enough. Maybe SC needs another hull to hit the X-over mark like the other Mfr'rs have recognized. CC & Malibu have about 10 boats each. MC has too many to count. I know SC has Supra as well, but...

(On that note, an '09 "Worlds Package" Black-Out pattern Supra was on display last night. OMG what a stunning boat):
http://www.supraboats.com/worldspackage/index.php?swf=color

jester
11-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Moombabound,

Last time i was at my local dealer they where just finishing unpacking the World 22 Launch. That boat looks great. It is a good thing that i did not take it out for a demo because i might of ended up with a new boat.

kaneboats
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry. Did you say "ANYONE"?

Laz
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Ed,

Have you been able to directly compare the 09' V with an Outback DD for slalom? I sure noticed a big difference at 34mph between an 07 V and DD.

BTW, what lake do you ride and ski on? We'll be at the Swiss Ski School in April.

Laz