PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic versus Electric Wakeplate

Garn
11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know why on the 2009 boats Moomba/Supra went with Lenco Electric Wakeplates instead of the hydraulic plates that they have been using for years? My 2007 LS didn't come with a wakeplate so I am looking to add one this Winter. The difference in price between the two is ridiculous! The Lenco electric one is $1100.00 just for parts! The hydraulic one with all the parts (tabs,yoke switch, gauge, etc.) is only $650.00. Why the fricken huge difference? From what I understand, the electric should be LESS since it doesn't have a pump. At this difference I will probably go with the hydraulic one. Any thoughts?

Garn

zabooda
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I think the answer is a lack of competition. Motor operated devices have always been cheaper then the hydraulic counterparts and more compatable with instrumented devices in the commercial world. Each type has a certain advantage over the other in the commercial application but with the trim tabs I don't see why electric powered systems aren't used more except for the cost.

http://www.lencomarine.com/compareelectricv.html

ian ashton
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I bet the install on the electric is infinately easier. Just think, no pumps or hoses to run, just install the electric cylinder and run the wire - done.

zegm
11-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Those new electric trim tab motors are very common here in Panama City on over 1/2 the off shore boats. They can be purchased from boaters world and west marine and we even used them for some prototypes we built for the Navy. They are Lencos http://www.boatersworld.com/product/356978924.htm. And I am sure someone did a Six Sigma Green Belt project and discovered that they are easier to install than a hydraulic system so hence reduced cost, and we get our great valued Moombas. As far as which one is better ---hydraulic vs. electric gear driven ---that is open for another discussion on another day.

Garn
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, so if they are "easier to install than a hydraulic system so hence reduced cost, and we get our great valued Moombas" and "Motor operated devices have always been cheaper then the hydraulic counterparts " then why in the world is Lenco's electric wakeplate DOUBLE the price of the hydraulic wakeplate? From everyone's reasoning, it should be less - not double!

Garn

JesseC
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
then why in the world is Lenco's electric wakeplate DOUBLE the price of the hydraulic wakeplate? From everyone's reasoning, it should be less - not double!

Garn

Because it is "NEW"?!?!?!?! Kind of like the old iPhones. They were twice as problamatic, twice as slow and yet twice the cost. Go figure.

zegm
11-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I guess you could say they are new to Moomba but Lenco has been around for a long time. I see them on the trim tabs of as many as 1/2 the offshore boats here in town.

Sled491
11-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Does anyone have a thought about the dual pistons versus one. It seems that there would more outside force against the attatchment points with the single centered driver device. I'm not an engineer, I leave that to Z, but I have to imagine the force on these things is tremendous.

lowdrag
11-13-2008, 01:13 AM
I think they made a good decision to go with the electric tab, but I guess time will tell. I've had a leak before with the hydraulic setup and it wasn't fun. Removing the 3M sealant from the hull was pain enough. Not to mention tracking down the leak, fixing it, and cleaning up the mess it left in the hull. Everything all the way up to the front locker was covered in an oil film. I don't know how many times I propped the boat up and ran dish detergent and water through it to finally get most of it out. I've also had problems with fuses popping and whine in the stereo that I had to fix.

Sled491
11-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Funny, look at there list of manufacters they supply, no mention of Moomba, Supra or Skiers Choice. Still the stuff is tested and looks impressive.

zegm
11-15-2008, 12:22 AM
From what I have observed they haven't really changed the product any since we tested them for a Navy project a couple years ago. They are a good product and I happen to know where 2 of them are sitting in a box never used. Just in case I need to put a trim tab on one side of the boat to shift the weight that way! :)

VA LSV
11-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I just sent both of my actuators to Bennett for replacement due to leaks. Replaced O rings in both last spring and both started leaking before season end. This may be part of the reason for the change. I have also had problems with electric actuators in an industrial application and replaced 18 of them with pneumantics. Both technologies have their pros & cons.