PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ballast Ideas/Help!

tysonma
11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a 2000 Kamberra and would like to add some ballast over the winter. I dont want to have to hang pumps over the side everytime I fill, but don't need anything fancy either. Here are the bags I plan to use:

2-450s in rear
1-sac in ski locker
1-sac in bow under playpen

I talked to the make-a-wake guy, who offers a system to hook everything up, pumps, switches, etc, but he was kinda pricey (around 800 bucks :o )

Advice Anyone?

Thanks,

Ty

04OUTBACK
11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
If you currently don't have any, study up on a couple of options:
1. The new style ballast that the 09 Moombas have that use 3 Jabsco reversible pumps. With this, you would have 3 through hull mounts on the bottom of the hull and you would have to have drain vents plumbed to the sides of the hull under the rub rail...This would be real easy outside of the 3 holes in the hull (BELOW the WATERLINE!) I would probably trust a boat shop to do that part...

2. you can build a system like what is in the factory ballast real easy with plumbing/sprinkler system parts from Lowes/Home Depot.

I am adding a 4th sac to mine and have bought most of the parts so far at Home Depot..

There is an install set up on here for adding the 4th sac that shows you some of the photos of the current plumbing. Pre 09 boats had a single fill pump with 3 sprinkler valve/solenoids that diverted the water individually to the 3 sacs. Each sac has its' on drain pump. (Search on here for "Gravity 4 install" and I can probably provide a little more info if needed

The Jabsco pumps are great, fill fast and even though they are more expensive, you'll only need 1 per sac...(fill/drain)

To f

04OUTBACK
11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Ed,
Are the pumps directly above those fittings or are they placed more near the sacs?

snowboardcorey
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
The Jabsco pumps are the way to go, they are spendy but awesome. If I had money and a boat that needed ballast this would be my first choice.

We plumbed in 2 750lb bags in the back of my buddies MC and used Simer Utility Pumps (about $70 a piece at Fleet Farm) Model BW85P. Take off the puddle scoop and there you go.

snowboardcorey
11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Just noticed you were in Indiana and not sure if you guys have Fleet Farm here is a link to the Simer site. http://www.simerpumps.com/