PDA

View Full Version : Removing glued quick connects?

Roachman
11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I need some help removing the quick connects from my factory sacs. They are glued in and didnt know if anyone had a good method? I remember a post 3 or 4 month ago but could not find it.

Roachman
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah i think Al "Cab" wrote that but I didnt know if he had to heat it up with a hair dryer first.

04OUTBACK
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Roachman,
Call Fly High and they'll walk you through it..

Basically use a hair dryer to heat the area around the fitting. once you get it warm, you will step on the sac right next to the fitting with one foot and step on the quick disconnect with the other foot to bend it over to one side.

They are locked in with a glue and the heat basically loosens the rubber threds on the sac more than anything. They can walk you through it real easy on the phone as they did me. you'll think that you are ripping the threads out, but when they get warm enough they'll bend...and you can add different fittings and reglue them in with no troubles.

Channel locks did NADA for me... I was about to give up til I emailed Fly High and they emailed me back with a cell number of someone to tell me how to do it. I emailed them a while back and they gave me Mike Seipels cell # (Founder/old Barefoot pro)

Cheers.

Razzman
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
They are so cheap from wakeside i'd just buy new ones.

Roachman
11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
04 Outback: Yeah I read through one of your earlier post and sent Fly High an email...Mike then called me back and explained the process. Thanks.

Razzman: I did buy new fittings but i am wanting to take the old ones out so I can still use those sacs for surfing and with the fittings on I cant fill or cap.

Thanks all for the feedback.

04OUTBACK
11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I have the original 275s out of my boat that have had the q/d's removed and replaced with the regular fly high fittings. I have not used them, but even though the threads did not look perfect, if you reglue them or use pipe tape, they'll be fine.

cab13367
11-12-2008, 03:37 AM
I was able to remove the glued in fittings on both my stock bags. I heated up the base of the fitting with a hair dryer set on high for a good 15 minutes or so, moving it around to heat the area around the threads evenly. I then quickly folded up the bag several times over itself so that I could get a good grip on it with both hands. Then I had my wife grab the fitting with channel locks and slowly turn it counter clockwise. Slow, steady pressure did the trick rather than trying to jerk it loose.

Hope that helps.

Al