PDA

View Full Version : tower clamp inserts

tprkolbas
11-05-2008, 06:11 PM
i bought myself a pair of wetsounds mb-8's to add to my pro-80's. the mb-8's have a universal mounting clamp with some metal teeth on them (much different than the mountings for the pro-80's). so to avoid jacking up my tower with those metal teeth, i'm wondering if anyone knows where i can get some kind of insert or rubber bumper to protect the tower. i found a set on monstertower.com, but there wasn't a 2 3/8" one. i have tried some foamy rubber strips on my aftermarket board racks to avoid metal on metal, but the rubber tends to wear and the racks rotate when loaded up and going thru rough water, no matter how hard i tighten them.

any suggestions?

jmvotto
11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
try the plumbing dept at home depot or lowes (black rubber extension thingys):D

ian ashton
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I know that Lip Boating also sells inserts for the various tower sizes, but they are a little pricey (but if your buying WS then money propbably isn't much of a concern haha)
http://www.lipboating.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70&zenid=d20b6fa70b4dcdc7e31fe069078525fc

cab13367
11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
When I bought my monster mirror arm, they told me to use 1/2 of a 2-1/4 insert and 1/2 of a 2-1/2 insert. It worked on my 2-3/8 tower.

Al

Jon
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
wetsounds has rubber pieces that keep those teeth from chewing up your tower. I know they come with the pro 60s and would assume they would come on the mb8's. If yours didn't come with any I bet your dealer or wetsounds could send you some.

tprkolbas
11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
thanks for the info fellas - it gives me a couple places to start.

tprkolbas
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
i've gotten a few inquiries about how i like my wetsounds speakers so i thought i'd pass on the respones for everyone:

the pro-80's are an exeptional speaker - very loud. my dealer had a 3 some setup that he actully pulled the 485 out of because it was too loud. the pro-80's ran $900 new, but if you shop around on craigslist or some other wakeboard sites such as wakeworld or wakeboarder.com, you can find some in the classified sections. i just bought that new set of mb-8's for $590 shipped off wakeworld. they aren't under warranty, but the ones i have a brand new, fresh out of the box.

one thing to add about the pro-80's is that they don't have much bass punch. that is why i bought the mb-8's to supplement them. i also bought the wet-sounds 420 equalizer to fine tune the sounds. i wont have the mb-8's hooked up til next spring so i can't speak how they work just yet. i know that you do need a good amp to power these speakers else you will have some feedback (at least that is what i was told by a few people).

also, you can hear the music at 70 feet fairly well as long as the persons inside the boat can tolerate the loudness. with the 420, i can balance the sound so it is only coming out the tower speakers - the problem i have with mine is that i had it mounted in a bad spot so it is impossible to adjust from the driver's seat. persons standing on the rear deck when most of the sound is coming from the tower speakers get blown away.

kaneboats
11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I have used "custom cut" pieces of an old ski binding. I have a box of old binding and ski parts, screws, inserts, etc. One kind slipped real bad when I used it on my board racks. Another kind that looked just like the first kind was absolutely non-slipping. Not sure the difference, but I think it's in the composition of the rubber. Cut a piece and bend it around the tower. Grip it and, if it twists easily, it's the wrong kind. If it grips, it's the right one. This was a very good and cheap fix. Good luck!