PDA

View Full Version : GPS Anyone?

kaneboats
11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
OK, I know this is slightly off topic but I don't know diddly about GPS units and we're into the offseason and onshore activities anyway. I want to get a GPS for Mrs. Kane who is not too good with directions when driving. She's always hunting for addresses with the realtor thing now so I thought it might be helpful. I also think it would be fun to get into the geocaching thing with the kids-- you know-- combine some treasure hunting with a little hiking and teaching about packing trash out and all that fun stuff.
So, does anyone know if there is a unit that can be used for both things or if it requires two separate ones? Does anyone have recommendations for which ones to buy or what features are most important? Thanks, all!

aintskeered
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Kane, I have a Garmin 76CSX? It has the color screen and water (proof) We use it on the Boat, ATV's, Motercycle, airplane and the vehicles and geo Cacheing, It dose not have the turn by turn directions like the tom tom stuff. Its rugged,and good screen contrast. I bought the new Oregon series this summer and returned it because the screen was to tough to see while doing other things. I dont know who makes one that dose both? I cant help but think somone dose. Be sure to look at how well you can read the screen while driving a boat riding ect. I really liked the Oregon easy of use but tough to glance at and get the information quickley.

zabooda
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I have both a Garmin handheld and a Garmin for the car. If you want one that will do both then you will need the handheld with maps and and a mounting system for your car. I have found the two systems to have enough differences to get one of each as they do some things very well and other things very poorly. The problem with using a handheld in the car is the unit is bulkier which makes mounting more difficult, it blocks more of the windshield, the maps are small and for some it doesn't look as pretty as the car units (you can even get some in pink). My two pesos.

wolfeman131
11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I also think it would be fun to get into the geocaching thing with the kids

Funny reading your post as the kids didn't have school today due to the elections and their reward for being good while we voted was to go geocaching. My girls love it! We have a county park nearby where we found 5 caches today. All are hidden in the woods off the trails and it was a lot of fun.

I hate to bust into your piggybank, but I would suggest you get a $100 Magellan explorist (or comparable unit) for the geocaching and a $200 tom tom XLS (or comparable) for the car.

kaneboats
11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
That's about what I was figuring but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. You can just bet that when Mrs. Kane is gone in her vehicle selling real estate that will be when I decide to take the kids and go look for treasure anyway. Imagine my mood when I realize she drove off with the only GPS. Ha HA. I'll have to figure out where the deals are. I'm sure this is going to be the Black Friday of all Black Fridays coming up after T-giving. Thanks, all!

Sled491
11-04-2008, 11:52 PM
My wife bought me a Garmin Etrex Legend C for fathers day a few years ago. She included all the diffenernt maps, topo, marine, cities and streets. I use it in the truck with the car adapter kit. I managed to make it from My house in WI to Charlotte NC with this unit no problems. I use it up in Canada for mapping logging roads and my secret fishing lakes. I use it in my moomba for setting speedos. It also has the Geocaching feature.

While I agree specific units designed for specific uses is better, this has not been a bad unit at all.

zabooda
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
A good site to look for deals is: http://bensbargains.net/
Do a search on GPS and you'll find a good selection on sale. I got a refurbished Garmin for the car and it works and looks like new with a price tag of about half the price of new.

yearround
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a garmin vista Cx for outdoor stuff, also use it for driving. for driving, the inpudt is not so friendly as other more drive specific. i have used a Nuvi, they are really good for driving.

MrsZ
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Kaneboats, look at the different GPS models on http://www.Garmin.com and then once you know what you want, buy it at http://www.gpsdiscount.com. They have great deals and I used to get a free T-Shirt whenever I bought a gps. i dont know if they are still doing that though.

kaneboats
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM
This is good stuff you guys (and gal)!

Sled491
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey it's what we do :)