PDA

View Full Version : Not Done Yet.

10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
With winter just aroudn the corner, yesterday a buddy and I decided to go for one last boat ride for the season. Here in Alberta it's very late in the season. Yesterday the water temp was between 42 and 45 and the air was about 60. Water was fairly calm and we both snuck out of work early. We forgot the gloves and after my buddies ride, he said his hands were the only problem. Its tough to get out of the water with the rope without getting your hands wet. Everytime he fell, he would do everything to save his hands from getting wet, it was priceless.

When I rode I tried to think of a way to dry my hands, and I thought, how about my Snowboarding Toque. So i threw it on, was extra carefull to not get my head close to the water as I slid in, got up and dried my hands on the toque. It was a blast to be out there so I kind of took it easy but I managed to do my whole set, this pic included without getting the toque wet. Then a little surfing too. The XLV ran great and gave us no problems. The heaters were on high the whole time. I am so glad I bought this boat.

Now monday looks to be nice so I am thinking about going once more. Any other canadians still riding? Anyone in Alberta? Oh ya, we have to drain the motor because it goes below freezing every night. That's a pain in the.

moombadaze
10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
you guys up north are hard core, i have no idea what are water temp in the lakes are now but the pool was 78 a couple days ago and im done swimming for the year.

kaneboats
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
We really do get spoiled down here. When that water gets around 72 I think it's cold. I remember in IL if there was a day over 70 (air) and we didn't go out I was mad.

jclay5
10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah 42-45 is for sure hardcore. I ride right now with the water at 72 and I think its great (wish my friends would man up and by a heater top) but its getting increasingly harder to find someone to go ride with me so it looks like I might just be able to get back out a few more times this season.

yearround
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
i rarely see water over 74. we use a heat index, add the air and water, if it is over 130, you can ski, ride, all is good. if it is 100-130, you probably need a wet suit, depending on the air, sun etc. don't usually go out when it is under 80.

planning to go out tomorrow, air should be mid 70's water will be mid 50's i hope

501, if was closer, count me in!

10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I can't tell you guys how much I envy you and your warm weather. There isn't a day in the winter I don't think about living somewhere warmer. If I lived somewhere with open water all year I'd ride all year no question. With a dry suit and closed toes, the only problem is the hands.

Maybe in the next year, there will be a good time to get some lake front real estate somewhere in the US that's warm all year round.

10-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Here is another pic from last week. Looks like we might go again this week for ONE last ride (it'll be like the 4th time my wife has heard that story).

yearround
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
you need to get some boots and goves! the neo boots are awesome. they keep the toes from icing up, you can likely make it out a few more times.

i have given up on saying one more time, my wife knows we will try and make it out it the water is soft. we should have soft water until mid late december. it was 52 on saturday.

10-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Ya, I have gloves and closed toe wakeboard boots but the neo boots is a great idea for surfing. Most of the small ponds have ice on them out here, so our time is quite limited.

I'm glad to hear there are others like me who are willing to water sports in winter weather, it makes me feel less crazy.