PDA

View Full Version : Fogging oil/demi-winterization question

.264 magnum
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Location - metro-Dallas Texas. We usually have one or two hard freezes per year. Some years the temp will not dip below 27F or 28F.

A good number of my marina slipmates run their boats off and on through the winter. These guys drain all water after each outing and add sta-bil and that is it (I think). One guy told me he will not fog his motor unless the boat will be left idle eight weeks or more.
I also gather that most boaters around here do not drain their oil over the winter either. Most change it in the Spring.

The main question is can a motor safely last eight/ten winter weeks on a lift and idle without fogging?

Thanks,
Ed

Waynes345
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
If the engine will not be running for an etended period, I'd fog it. Much easier and cheaper than the alternative. Certainly won't hurt anything.

aerophoto
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Location - metro-Dallas Texas. We usually have one or two hard freezes per year. Some years the temp will not dip below 27F or 28F.

A good number of my marina slipmates run their boats off and on through the winter. These guys drain all water after each outing and add sta-bil and that is it (I think). One guy told me he will not fog his motor unless the boat will be left idle eight weeks or more.
I also gather that most boaters around here do not drain their oil over the winter either. Most change it in the Spring.

The main question is can a motor safely last eight/ten winter weeks on a lift and idle without fogging?

Thanks,
Ed

I would fog also it prevents rust on the walls of the cylinders and if your run any ethanol I would put stabilizer in the tank.

Sled491
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Now funny about the ethanol comment. It was my understanding that Stabil has limited to no effect on ethanol blended. I believe due to the amount of alcohol in the fuel I think. Don't qoute me on that last one:)

Waynes345
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Sled - I've been using Sta-Bil in the E10 gas we have around here for years. I've poked around online and can't find any evidence that it won't be effective with Ethanol. I contacted Gold Eagle and they claim they have a decade of track record with Sta-Bil being effective in the Chicago area with E10. I guess I'll leave my tank full with the Sta-Bil in. What else would you use to stabilize E10 gas?

Sled491
11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't get me wrong I use it as well. But a mechanic we know told us that it didn't matter with E10 fuel. It's not a matter of what will work instead of Sta Bil, it's a matter of they say it isn't needed with E 10.

Waynes345
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh, so it's more that the ethanol does the stabilizing itself. Sta-Bil is cheap. I'll keep using it as well.

Sled491
11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I guess, I couldn't say for sure. But I agree it's cheap so what the heck.