PDA

View Full Version : What SC could do to make the XLV perfect!

choard
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I really like my "new to me" 2007 XLV GG but I think if Skiers Choice made some changes the boat would be undeniably the best boat out there.
No particular order:
1) Widen the boat to 102" - sink the interior a bit into the hull.
2) Slide and swivel drivers seat.
3) In hull rear ballast tanks - add as an option the biggest available fat sac for additional surfing ballast ( I don't like that I will have to stack sacs to get a really good surf wake)
4) V-drive hatch side cushions to open opposite as they do now - hinge them on the main center cushion.

I think the ballast pump operation and fill/empty times have already been updated but more ballast and faster fill/empty times are always appreciated.

Anyone else have ideas??

Sled491
10-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, not sure. Maybe if SC sent me an 09 to play with next summer I could help with some ideas :)

Otto_man
10-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd love to see a rear facing bench behind the driver's seat like in the Supra Launch 22V and 24V

cab13367
10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
4) V-drive hatch side cushions to open opposite as they do now - hinge them on the main center cushion.

Why? What's wrong with the current set up?

cab13367
10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I3) In hull rear ballast tanks - add as an option the biggest available fat sac for additional surfing ballast ( I don't like that I will have to stack sacs to get a really good surf wake)

I personally like the fact that we DON'T have hard tanks because it makes it easier to switch out bags as the need arises. My boat came with 275# bags from the factory but I upgraded them to 400# bags just by buying and switching out the bags. Some people have replaced theirs with 750s and some people are content with the 275's. A friend of mine bought an MC with rear tanks that had a 200 lb capacity each. It's not enough so he bought additional fat sacs that he now has to fill and empty manually. So hard tanks are great if the capacity of the tanks is exactly what you are looking for.

Regarding having the biggest available fat sac for surfing, why don't you just go out and buy it? Why does it need to be a factory option?

By the way, you can custom order any size bag you want from Fly High and they will make it for you. I was a quoted a cost of $100 more than the cost of the closest stock bag to the size you want. So have them make you a bag in the size you want so that you don't have to stack bags. And have them add a second vent fitting on top so that you can supplement the factory pump with a Tsunami unless you are willing to wait 30 minutes to fill and empty that giant bag.

Al

10-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a 2008 XLV. Here are my thoughts:

I agree that 750's as an option in the rear would be better for surfing (ordering those this winter).

A little deeper and wider would be nice but I'm still very happy with the room.

Swivel seat .... A great option or addition.

Rear storage, I like how they open up now and its great for sitting the the side compartments while workign on the engine (Like right now we are still boarding in canada but it's below freezing at night so I have to drain the engine after every use, at least for the next couple weeks till I pack it in)

Rear Facing Bench Seat - The 2008 XLV has this, the rear pulls forward and the side seat turns into the back rest. Only used it once this season, but it works.

A nicer "XLV" logo, perhaps something out of Chrome. It is their most expensive and flagship boat, a little extra bling is kind of deserved.

These things are all kind of minor, the boat itself is awesome, wake is big and I have never had a problem getting someone out of the water with 10 people in the boat and 2k of ballast (I have the 340hp). Overall I am 99.9% happy.

Razzman
10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
My 2 cents from experience ... hard tanks suck. :cool:

Two buddies have them on their boats and they take up way too much room in the lockers. In fact they both complain about it. NO boards can go in the lockers. You can't roll them up to drain them. You can't tell if their empty. You can't swap them for bigger tanks. Hard to diagnose issues and a beatch to remove. I honestly don't know anyone with them that can honestly say they like them.

As for the rest of it, that's why they have Supra's. Start doing all these things to a Moomba and it defeats the purpose, a price point wakeboat.

Razzman
10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Ed, it's so your crew can sit facing the action. I found it is also an easy way to move peeps around to balance or unbalance weight.

choard
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't want the XLV to have hard tanks - I want it to have in-hull ballast like my last MB Sport B52, it had 800lb ballast tank in the hull on both sides of the engine. You get big ballast and all the storage of the compartment. I agree hard tanks suck!

I will probably get a quote from Fly High for a custom bag as the Enzo sack won't work cause of the seat design in the XLV. I like the idea of adding a second vent for filling maybe even for emptying as I already have a Tsunami Pump and could buy a cheaper Rule for emptying.

10-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I hear you about the Supra, but the step up from an XLV to a Supra 24SSV is a pretty steep price jump, and all I was really looking for was a little more chrome.

I mean lets not kid ourselves, 40-55k isn't exactly chump change and you can find chrome/bling on motor bikes and new cars for 1/3 of that price. I just figure the best boat in the line with a price tag over 50k deserves to be dressed up a little more. Its obviously not a deal breaker cause I bought the XLV and love it. Just sayign it'd be nice. I mean add up a swivel seat, some chrome, bigger tanks, and it would cost sc probably a few hundred bucks extra, but they would be welcome improvements.

I love the fact that with the sacks empty I can keep 3 wakeboards, a surfboard, 8 jackets, wet suits, extra sack and ropes all in the rear compartments with room to spare.

cab13367
10-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't want the XLV to have hard tanks - I want it to have in-hull ballast like my last MB Sport B52, it had 800lb ballast tank in the hull on both sides of the engine. You get big ballast and all the storage of the compartment. I agree hard tanks suck!

I will probably get a quote from Fly High for a custom bag as the Enzo sack won't work cause of the seat design in the XLV. I like the idea of adding a second vent for filling maybe even for emptying as I already have a Tsunami Pump and could buy a cheaper Rule for emptying.

choard,

Is that 800 lbs total? That's really not much ballast and again, it's not easy to upgrade the ballast size and still have it plumbed in. Also, the in-hull ballast takes up room that would otherwise be filled with flotation foam, so the total weight capacity of the boat is reduced (at least that's what the Moomba sales guy told me).

I use the Tsunami for both filling and emptying in addition to the stock pump. Really helps out when using the 750 for surfing.

Al

choard
10-23-2008, 11:10 PM
My 2004 MB had a total of 2100lb ballast - 800 on each side at rear and 500lbs in the front. It probably did reduce total overall weight capacity cause MB boats seem to have a lower seating capacity than similar fat sac ballast boats. But realistically I can't see me putting 16 people in my XLV.
Don't get me wrong I love my XLV but I think my suggestions plus some of the others that came up (more bling-fancier decals or mini-wraps) could make the XLV the bees knees.
Cory

cab13367
10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Cory,

2100lbs is a lot of stock ballast. Agreed, it's nice to have that much ballast and not sacrifice any storage room as long as you can live with the trade offs.

Take care.

Al