PDA

View Full Version : Can You upgrade a 2004 carb to EFI??

Shoemaker Mobius
01-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I bought a new 2004 Mobius LSV w 310 Ingmar at the Austin Boat Show. Now, after reading several BB postings, it sounds like I should have seen if I could go with the 320 EFI. I haven't picked up the boat yet. Is there any way to upgrade the 310 carb to an EFI without a complete swap of engines (i.e., can you remove the carb and add some dealer EFI)?

noneya
01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
I had the 310 carb in my first Moomba and didnt really have any probs with it.

db7
01-27-2004, 01:38 PM
shoemaker,
Is the boat at the dealership, or still at the factory? When I ordered my boat w/310hp I did the same thing you did, I wanted the change to a 320hp EFI. I use my boat at elevations of 75' up to about 2500', so EFI was a must.

Luckly the boat was still being built so the change was easy. I would think worst case, you would have to order another boat, but then again you might have gotten a great deal on an "in-stock" boat from the dealer.

If they really want to sell you a boat I would think they would be able to do something for you to make you happy.

Good luck

Shoemaker Mobius
02-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, maybe I don't need the upgrade. The dealer indicated it could be upgraded at the dealership, but it would be fairly expensive. However, now that we've got 10 or so hours on the boat, the engine is starting and idling just fine. The first few hours on the engine had me a little concerned. We would back the trailer into the water, start the engine and have to rev it for almost 5 minutes before it would idle without dying. Gas usage seems OK too. I used to have carburetor cars and when EFI came into the norm, it sure seemed like a dream. I must say I am surprised carburetor engines are still around on boats when cars have pretty much been EFI exclusively for years.

clark
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
IS the EFI worth the $1300 they want for the upgrade?? I will be buying a Mobius LS or LSV in January and want to get what I want the first time, but I have to be aware of the cost.

Shoemaker Mobius
09-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Clark,
I would definitely go with EFI. We now have about 60 hours on the boat and the 310 carb engine has been just fine. However, I believe the 320EFI will resell slightly better, is supposed to have slightly better gas mileage and will start and idle better in colder weather. Given the choice, I would have gone with the 320EFI, but my boat was a boat show model, already having the 310 carb so I had no choice.

You mentioned in another post about the pulling power and speed consistency when wakeboarding. Over this past year we have progressed from just using the single bag Bertha Ballast to adding two 540lb sacs in the compartments alongside the engine in our Mobius LSV. We also put about 200lbs of ballast up front. That means we are weighting the boat with approx. 1,500 lbs of water ballast (we don't fill the rear sac full), in addition to any bodies we have in the boat. Guestimating, our total load typically is 2,200 lbs. We get a superb wake in size and shape and the boat continues to pull up the wakeboarding with relative ease. You can definitely tell a difference between weighted and unweighted, but the boat has no problem getting on plane - especially with the hydraulic wake plate in use. As far as speed consistency, the boat holds speed very well as long as your speed is either pre-plane or after plane speed. If your speed is just over the edge of plane, any slight decrease results in going off plane and a large speed reduction unless you boost the throttle quickly. Other than that, no problem. However, we do have the Perfect Pass and love it. It takes one more driver attention item off the list for us - just set the Perfect Pass, get up to speed and then just concentrate on driving and you wakeboarder. I will also tell you that the only real problems we have had with our boat has been Perfect Pass module problems twice. Knock on wood, but at the present time it is working perfectly.