PDA

View Full Version : What hobbies do you have during fall/winter?

JesseC
10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I was wondering what all of you guys/gals do during the cooler months of the year. During Fall we enjoy riding motocross tracks and trail rides on the bikes and in the winter we will head to Breckenridge and go skiing and snowboarding.

So what are the rest of you doing???

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/temp016.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/temp018.jpg

lanceswake
10-22-2008, 01:18 AM
In Dallas we can pretty much board yeararound with the aid of a dry suit. The really cold temps here only last about a month anyway. Other than that I'm just a 35 year old kid cuz I still skateboard every week.

moombadaze
10-22-2008, 07:40 AM
all the yard/house work that didnt get done the other 10 months of the year and usually only have to mow the grass once ever 2 months instead on once a week.

jclay5
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Well I'm an avid cyclist, but one wouldn't know that b/c I wakeboard all srping and summer instead of training for races now. I'm acutally in my best shape in the winter b/c I cycle so much more, which is the oppsitite for my cycling buddies and my teammates.

But without a doubt my biggest sport is snow skiing this will be my 18th season I usually go out west once or twice a year ( got a honeymoon I'm saving up for next summer so it looks like out west skiing is out for a season) and I make it up to snowshoe in WV once or twice a year. Other than that I stick around to NC skiing. These past couple years I've been a ski instructor on the weekends, but I have no time for that anymore, plus it costs me money to do it.

Ed if the water stayed 68 degrees here I would no doubt wakeboard alll year around, heck I was out last night and the water temp was 71 and the air temp was 63 I thought it felt great!

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/jclay5/_DSC0045.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/jclay5/CIMG0351.jpg

I also do this kinda cycling from time to time..

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/jclay5/IMG_1549.jpg

jclay5
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Snowshoe! Man that brings back memories. I used to Live in Bethel Park, Pa and snowshoe was only a little more than an hours drive from my house. During winter breaks from college, I worked as a ski salesman for Willi's ski shop and always had an annual pass to Seven Springs. If you have never been there, it's sorta worth a trip.

Of course compared to the skiing out west, all the Pa and WVa ski areas are just bunny slopes.

I've never been to seven springs I will look it up, as far as snowshoe is concerned its cheap and an 8 hour drive for some decent east coast skiing. As far as west coast nothing compares my dream is to get to Whistler I most say.

ian ashton
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I like to snowboard in the winter, although I haven't been able to get out as much in the recent last few years as I did when I was in college. I used to ride almost every day (season pass and campus ~15 minutes away from the hill!), now I'll usually get out 2 or 3 times a month, if I'm lucky.

In the winter I also try to get stuff done around my house, although that doesn't happen much anyway.

My dad runs Autorama/World of Wheels, and Chevy Vettefest car shows, so I like to try to get to as many of those shows as possible on the weekends, always fun.

kaneboats
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I watch football with my brothers and do house projects. This winter I'm going to paint the 2 story house and put a roof on. I want to get some hiking and biking going this fall/winter. Then we start getting our girls ready for softball season-- practice starts here in Feb. and the season is over by Memorial Day which is good for summer boating.

cab13367
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I play ice hockey year round and also coach my son's hockey team. Right now, I am on the ice 5 times a week between playing and coaching.

I also play basketball once a week throughout the school year (Sep - June).

When I lived in Colorado (2 years ago), my son and I would get 20 - 25 days of skiing and snowboarding in every winter. We have a place in the mountains. Still have it but it's now a rental property. I haven't gotten up to Mt Hood much since I moved to Portland two years ago but will try to more this year. It will be tough with my son's hockey games and practices on the weekends.

Al

jmvotto
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
snow skiing, and finishing projects ast the lake house. ;)

Sled491
10-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I've never been to seven springs I will look it up, as far as snowshoe is concerned its cheap and an 8 hour drive for some decent east coast skiing. As far as west coast nothing compares my dream is to get to Whistler I most say.

Man I used to love going to Whistler. I have several friends that moved there and you couldln't get them to leave if you wanted to.

JV, ah the lake house projects, they are a "labour of love" aren't they? I will be home for 4 days this weekend, and I will spend every one of them working at the lake house.

jmvotto
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
amen brother!!!

dtlaine
10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I will still try to get out to wakeboard at least once a week, but I try to spend time w/ my two-wheeled friends, too.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/dtlaine/CRF250R4/BaileyRetroKit.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/dtlaine/RVT1000R6/untitled.jpg

maxpower220
10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Well I'm an avid cyclist, but one wouldn't know that b/c I wakeboard all srping and summer instead of training for races now. I'm acutally in my best shape in the winter b/c I cycle so much more, which is the oppsitite for my cycling buddies and my teammates.

But without a doubt my biggest sport is snow skiing this will be my 18th season I usually go out west once or twice a year ( got a honeymoon I'm saving up for next summer so it looks like out west skiing is out for a season) and I make it up to snowshoe in WV once or twice a year. Other than that I stick around to NC skiing. These past couple years I've been a ski instructor on the weekends, but I have no time for that anymore, plus it costs me money to do it.

I also do this kinda cycling from time to time..

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/jclay5/IMG_1549.jpg

How do you like the Shiver? I have an SXV right now and I am waiting for the Dorodurso to come out (which is basically a Shiver). The SXV is not a street friendly bike and no way to ride two up.

jclay5
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
The SXV is such a cool bike! I wanted a motard, but I wanted a little more bike since its my only bike now. I love the shiver I've had it for about a month and a half now, bought it new, and I've put about 1k miles on it. The bike handles like a dream (a lot like a motard) and is really comfortable to ride. As far as aprilias are concerned this is my 3rd I've had a futura and a pegaso so I'm pretty sold on them. I've had a ton of other bikes, but nothing feels like some good ole Italian muscle between your legs =D

SanMarzano
10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I brew about 100gallons of beer for next summer!

JesseC
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I brew about 100gallons of beer for next summer!

I am planning on trying beer brewing at home this year. My buddy across the street and I are going to go in together and buy all of the beer making necessities. My wife asked us what would happen if it isn't any good...I simply stated why wouldn't it be any good its beer!!!

moombadaze
10-23-2008, 05:05 PM
sled, how did you get the roof rafters on top of the walls of your lake house?

Razzman
10-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I get all my house projects done, any special projects i might have as well as all my boats mods so that i can spend as much time on the water as possible in season.

Sled491
10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
sled, how did you get the roof rafters on top of the walls of your lake house?

Not easy trust me. The sissor trusses were about 275 and the attic trusses were around 450. Back gable truss was 510. So what we did was use the back gable truss as a ramp and sat it on the ground and nailed it to the top of the wall. We then pushed all the sissor trusses up and set them. After they were set and eveything was tied together, I bolted a 12v 2500lb winch onto the top of the trusses, with some 2x6 strapping and lag bolts. We then dragged the attic trusses over with my Quad runner and hooked them with a gable to the winch. The winch was hooked to a 12v car jumper.

One by one we managed to drag them up and stack them upright against the siccor trusses. When that was done we winched up the gabel truss an set it. Then we tied the gable truss to the siccor trusses and then spread the attic trusses. The Girder truss we had to seperate and pull up one at a time and then re ganged them on the wall other wise there was no way we were going to get a 800+ pound truss up.

This sounds easy and simple except that the trusses didn't want to slide real well, so they had to be helped up almost the whole way with a guy on the ground with a 16ft 2x4 prying and wedging to keep the winch from stalling out.

My 1st plan was better, but timing didn't work out. I had leased for a month a construction lift (big 4x4 diesel mama jama) and was going to barge it over to the island to do the trusses, roof, and chimmney. But due to late spring and heavy rains the only guy who had a big ienough barge to do it was booked until the middle of summer...so on to plan B.

SanMarzano
10-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I am planning on trying beer brewing at home this year. My buddy across the street and I are going to go in together and buy all of the beer making necessities. My wife asked us what would happen if it isn't any good...I simply stated why wouldn't it be any good its beer!!!

It will come out good if you remember two rules. Sanatize everything or you WILL get infections and maintain your fermentation temperatures. If you ever have any questions let me know. I have about 500 gallons under my belt

kaneboats
10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Mine are starting to hang over my belt.

SEARK
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I try and eliminate those trespassing ducks as they fly though my air space.

bobwells
10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Josh's other passions...
having trouble getting Jackie Lee's uploading (daughter 11 yr.) she plays drums in a band and softball.

bobwells
10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I try and eliminate those trespassing ducks as they fly though my air space.

Seark you live in duck haven dont ya? if it just gets to be overwhelming Josh and I would be thrilled to help you out ! Mostly all we get around here is ring-necks and woodies. Yall get all the " Cadillac ducks" , mallards, pin-tails, etc... drooooooooollllllll.....

04OUTBACK
10-25-2008, 12:07 AM
More hunters on here than I suspected..
Nice buck there Bob..where are ya'll hunting? AL or GA?
Seark, where are you shootin ducks? I guess you aren't too far from some great hunting!

SEARK
10-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Seark you live in duck haven dont ya? if it just gets to be overwhelming Josh and I would be thrilled to help you out ! Mostly all we get around here is ring-necks and woodies. Yall get all the " Cadillac ducks" , mallards, pin-tails, etc... drooooooooollllllll.....

Where I am we have a lot of woodies as well, but yea we got the "cadillacs" too (just not as many as there once was). Too many places for them to go, keeps em scattered out.

04 Outback--I've got a place setup on our farm where I hunt. It's nice not to have to pay for a place to play.

zabooda
10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I do some dirtbike riding. I went out today but it is really dry as we haven't had any rain since June. The rains start next month so the riding will be much better. The roo and the boat both wanted to be in the picture.

dtlaine
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I do some dirtbike riding. I went out today but it is really dry as we haven't had any rain since June. The rains start next month so the riding will be much better. The roo and the boat both wanted to be in the picture.

I see the Oregon ATV decal on the fork tube. Are you one of those Washingtonians that has an Oregon title for your dirt bike?

04OUTBACK
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Seark,
I am sure you could shoot some junk ducks on Chicot too AHAHA..
I was out of Eagle Lake today and saw a few Cormorants! HA
there will be some cadillac ducks on Eagle soon though..

zabooda
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
dtlaine, I have a Washington license plate which is good for OHV trails in Washington but Oregon requires an OHV sticker regardless if it is plated so I get the Oregon sticker just because it is much cheaper than the Washington sticker. Just like boating, what is legal in one state may not be in a another and there are a few who get tickets.

dtlaine
10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
dtlaine, I have a Washington license plate which is good for OHV trails in Washington but Oregon requires an OHV sticker regardless if it is plated so I get the Oregon sticker just because it is much cheaper than the Washington sticker. Just like boating, what is legal in one state may not be in a another and there are a few who get tickets.

I was the district manager for Honda in Oregon from 2005-07, and I remember the dealers telling me that many WA residents would buy dirt bikes from OR dealers to avoid sales tax. I guess OR will issue a title for an OHV even if you're not an OR resident. That's what prompted the question.

Is your bike street legal from the factory or did you put a Baja Designs (or similar) kit on it? I know the KTM MCO's don't say "For off road use only," so WA will issue a plate if you make the changes. I wish we'd issue our's without that line. I'd have a CRF450L.

zabooda
10-27-2008, 12:35 AM
This bike came street legal (450 E-XCR) but I knocked 3 of the 4 turn signals off on my first ride so I went with the sicassracing.com LED turn signals. I know what your talking about. People will do some interesting things to get around the rules. Some people will go to Idaho and get plates for off road bikes as they don't inspect and then they put lights and brake lights on them.

Waynes345
10-27-2008, 04:16 PM
We like to spend our winter time outside on frozen water. I build an ice rink in the back yard every year and we have some wicked hockey games out there. The kids are on a ski race team and have meets in IL, IA and WI. We spend the rest of our weekends at our cabin doing all the finish work. Might start on the basement this winter.

SEARK
10-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Seark,
I am sure you could shoot some junk ducks on Chicot too AHAHA..
I was out of Eagle Lake today and saw a few Cormorants! HA
there will be some cadillac ducks on Eagle soon though..

I could start now if I wanted with the junk ducks. There are Coots aplenty. Be a couple weeks before the cadillacs start to show. Have a few resident ducks playing in the back yard but I leave them alone, kinda like pets.

bobwells
10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
More hunters on here than I suspected..
Nice buck there Bob..where are ya'll hunting? AL or GA?
Seark, where are you shootin ducks? I guess you aren't too far from some great hunting!

south Georgia

cab13367
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
We like to spend our winter time outside on frozen water. I build an ice rink in the back yard every year and we have some wicked hockey games out there. The kids are on a ski race team and have meets in IL, IA and WI. We spend the rest of our weekends at our cabin doing all the finish work. Might start on the basement this winter.

waynes,

That is awesome about the rink in your backyard! If I ever move someplace where they have "real" winters I will definitely be doing that.

Al

pickle311
10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Very cool, I just bought a new SXV last week. It should be here any day. I had a 600rr but sold it because I wanted a motard. I raced MX for several years and wanted to get back to that feeling. It should be a fun bike.

How do you like the Shiver? I have an SXV right now and I am waiting for the Dorodurso to come out (which is basically a Shiver). The SXV is not a street friendly bike and no way to ride two up.

maxpower220
10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I hope you want to take the SXV to the track. I have found it to be less than desirable for the streets. The power delivery and seat are both brutal. It's a lot of fun, but really hard to keep the front tire close to the ground.