PDA

View Full Version : Outback DD or Mobius LS next?

Double D
10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Supra no longer has a DD boat anymore. MC, Mal., and CC are all racing against each other to provide a V-drive that is ASWA certified (I believe the CC 211 crossover already is). Malibu's Sunscape 20 is on the Diamond Cut Hull and they claim unbelievable wakes at 34 mph plus. the CC 216 crossover is getting a new facelift that they claim will be the best crossover ever. MC is looking at a modified V-drive.

With the new design of the OBV going towards wakeboarding/surfing, will the outback be phased out? How about the Mobius LS? Will all the DD's be phased out by SC?

I hate to sound like the "sky is falling", but I am curious as to what direction SC is planning to go with their boats.

MC, Mal, and CC will always have a DD but it seems these leading manufacturers are racing pretty hard in the cross-over category. Will SC focus on the wake-side of things in the future and will DD's become obsolete from SC's list?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

kaneboats
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I can't see the logic cutting the DD Outback. It's at a different price point and does too many things well. But, because it's the only model using that hull, I could see them keeping the LS available as a DD and maybe dropping the Outback DD. Either way there is always going to be a DD available.

zegm
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I have spoken and written hundreds of word several times why we love our Direct Drive LS. So this is my last salvo in an attempt to save the DDs!

If they eliminate the centrally located engine where in the world are we going to prerpare and serve our cheese and crackers while we sit sipping wine on a warm summer night spot lighting the alligators!!!???!!!!

We will not eat off the floor in a boat!!!!

:)

aerophoto
10-20-2008, 11:51 PM
The direct drive is best for Skiing Slalom bar none I dont think it will be gone because there are still so many people still skiing. Just like all the ski hills still exist They did not turn them all into boarding parks even though there are so many boarders.

My 2C

Mikey
10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
After recently talking with someone at our local dealer on this subject he mentioned there is a possibility of Supra coming up with a completely Hardcore skiboat to go up against MC CC and Malibu and possibly eliminating Outback.

Sled491
10-22-2008, 12:02 AM
I could be wrong also, but I believe next to the top selling LSV, the Outback is the backbone of SC. Were it not for the ultra affordable Outback DD, thousands of people would never be introduced to the world of Tournament Boats. If they never get a taste of Tournament boats they'll never buy there second or third upgrade after there Outback.

Long live the Outback, Long live the Roo!

poohlvhun
10-22-2008, 01:35 PM
here's what a 2009 Outback now looks like (notice the lack of any type of logo):

http://www.orlandoboats.com/boatdisp.php?id=263

My 08 look just like that, besides the color and I have the 325hp engine instead.

Sled491
10-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Never surrender! Freeeeedom!

Ed stay tuned, I will unvail the Roo that lives and breathes, even if only through my intentions.

zegm
10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
We asked for Roo decals and they never came! I bet they killed that sucker off months ago!!!

scmarketing
10-26-2008, 08:20 AM
No longer with the company, but I would be shocked if the Outback were ever to be discontinued. Updated. Absolutely. But not discontinued. Same with the LS.

As for a true Supra Comp TS6M ... I would venture to guess that market conditions will determine its fate.

Mikey
10-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Thats the boat I was told about.
I guess its wait and see,with the economy the way it is for now.
Thanks for the update though.

Sled491
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Z, come to the dark side. The Roo is hiding in the underground.

zegm
10-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Sled,

We are OK without the Roo! but your graphics are going to look awesome!!!

Pulled the boat out of the lake yesterday, washed and waxed the hull today and put her in the front yard. I will clean out the garage and after I move the big boat out of the way will roll her back in there! I know there has been a zillion post on when to change the oil but I feel it would be best right before the next season. I don't want condesation getting in my just changed fresh oil if I were to change it now.

Sled491
10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Z, what they say is that if you leave the oil over the winter any moisture in the oil now will lead to possible damage, where as if you have fresh oil for storage you have less chance of contaminents and moisture.

zegm
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
My experience with this is that the water will separate out and fall to the bottom of the oil pan after sitting a long time. I seriously doubt that there is any water in there now at all, I mean where would it have come from? She has been run every weekend so there has been no chance for condensation to build. Now sitting for 2 to 3 months is where I fear the condensation issue.

Sled491
10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
To be honest Z, I don't see your boat in your neck of the woods having any real issues anyway. For me up here, if I put her away clean and prepped, then she is ready ASAP come spring to take advantage of our short season.

zegm
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Ed,

Key word here is "Hardy", we don't fit that description, we are cold weather weenies. Also, local regulations only allow us a lift with a roof. We are not allowed to build a boat "house". The garage behind the house which is behind a locked privacy fence (swimming pool regulations) becomes the winter "boat house". And with the boat next to my tools I can now fabricate a new storage cover strap and glue the carpet back up.
To show you how weeinie we are .... I also turned off the heat pump on the pool. Sure the water is warm but everyone hates to get out in the wind and eventually you have to get out! :)
Our winter sports involve water too, kayaks!!!!! And with all the cool rivers, creeks and lakes around here we have a blast and keep warm by propelling ourselves and because alligators happen to be cold water weenies they are not a problem anymore. :D