PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects?

04OUTBACK
10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
There are some talented individuals on here who have done some great projects on their Moombas. What are your winter project plans?

Here is what I am thinking about:
1. Gravity IV Ballast.. for surfing as much as anything.. started buying up parts for plumbing it in.
2. Graphics.. either replace 06 logo with 08 or do something like the Zdecals setup..
3. platform grip.. probably go with the seadek set up..
4. Tower speakers.. factory kenwoods in the tower could use a little oomph.
WOuld love WetSounds Pro 80s.. but not right now~! May put
WetSound XS-650's in the cans though..
5. Might look for some swivel board racks..

Lets hear what you guys got planned.

10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
I picked up a new 08 XLV this year and it came with everything but tower speakers, lights and swivel board racks (not even an option on Moombas yet). Over the course of summer I did a few upgrades.

So far I've added a set of Polk DB tower speakers, ltower ights, LED lights throughout the interior, Sirius Radio and an amp. This winter the plans are:

- Upgrade to Wetsounds Pro 80 speakers (like 04Outback, I want something a little louder, word is these are the best).
- Swivel Board Racks
- Change out the rear 400lb sacks to 750's.

Its goign to be a LONG winter here in Canada so I'll probably space a few of them out so it gives me a reason to play with my boat in the middle of winter.

jclay5
10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
There are some talented individuals on here who have done some great projects on their Moombas. What are your winter project plans?

Here is what I am thinking about:
1. Gravity IV Ballast.. for surfing as much as anything.. started buying up parts for plumbing it in.
2. Graphics.. either replace 06 logo with 08 or do something like the Zdecals setup..
3. platform grip.. probably go with the seadek set up..
4. Tower speakers.. factory kenwoods in the tower could use a little oomph.
WOuld love WetSounds Pro 80s.. but not right now~! May put
WetSound XS-650's in the cans though..
5. Might look for some swivel board racks..

Lets hear what you guys got planned.

Do you think the xs-650's would fit in a roswell bar speaker can? That would be a bad ass upgrade.

Razzman
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
The following is on my list in no particular order, whether i get it all done remains to be seen!

Red LED Courtesy lights in seat bases.

Tower Biminis custom bimini top.

Another larger amp dedicated to tower speakers or ...

NVS Deviants with a new amp for those.

Polk interior speakers

Underwater platform lighting.

Supra steering wheel.

Perfect Pass.

04OUTBACK
10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Jclay,
yes the XS-650s will fit. There was a Supra owner on the supra forum who is a WetSounds dealer..and he had 4 in his supra tower bar.. (he was selling it to put pro 60s or 80s on.

He said definite improvement over stocks...

jclay5
10-19-2008, 06:42 PM
great, with that being said here is my list, also in no particular order.

Buy and install perfect pass

Buy and install a 10 or 12 sub

Add another amp dedicated to the sub and interior speakers

add wet sounds 650's to the roswell bar (replacing the stock Kenwood's)

Add a 2nd battery

Replace the green gauge lights with blue

Last install underwater lighting under the swim platform

I'm not sure if I can afford all of it, but I will definitely finish the stereo and add the 2nd battery.

jmvotto
10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Upgrades and projects.

Since i don;t have the storage space the dealer will be doing these in the fall.

I purchased, they will install.

two aerials tower speaker with polk db651's
one 10 in polk momo sub in the kick panel(hopefilly will fit)
one jl 6 channel 75 watt amp
one pac lc-1 for fade control on tower

an additional battery with isolator

I did the 6 interior speakers replacements with polk db651's lst month

wish list,

ballast I to III, probably settle on a portable fat sac and pump for surfing
heater, its cold in september evenings

Sled491
10-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Well I still have some to finish from last winter. Those would be;

Finish installing my depth sounder.

Finish installing my sub

Finish installing my amp.

New projects;

Install my new Zdecals custom graphics (some of you have seem the proofs)

Install my Seadek platform pad (been sitting in the garage at the lake for 2 mnths)

Install flip over bow light.

On my would like to but probably not gonna happen list;

Plumb my boat for the ballast bags I bought from Ed. I was thinking that even though I had no compartments for the bags, I could get all the hoses run with the pump in the floor so I would just pull out the bag, quick connect the fitting and flip the switch.

cab13367
10-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Brad,

I've done alot of upgrades to my boat already so my list of winter projects is pretty short:

Add a three outlet heater
Maybe figure out how to seal the footbox so the sub doesn't sound so boomy, or build a custom sealed enclosure.

That's about it!

Al

04OUTBACK
10-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Al
kinda hard to do much more to yours! ha ha..
lots of good work!

JesseC
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I am not sure yet on my projects. I am running out of things to add, so I think I will be doing upgrades. My most recent idea is to re-design the ballast fill "tree" and add a much larger fill pump. I have been talking to Rule about their 3800GPH fill pump. I am still not sure if it will work. I have to get all of my measurements to my engineer buddy to make sure the flow rates will be worth the upgrade.

ian ashton
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I've got a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to do over the winter, not sure if I'll be able to accomplish everything, but I'm sure gonna try!

1. Powder Coat Tower
2. Add 2nd sub under drivers side dash (I have 1 Kicker L7 behind the spotters seat)
3. Add (blue) LED's into tower to illuminate inside of boat
4. Re-mount interior speakers (Right now they are just mounted in a carpeted piece of wood. I'd like to make something a little nicer out of fiberglass)
5. Finish swivel seat mount (almost done with this one!)
6. Bimini top (that new Monster Tower cargo bimini is looking like the one!)
7. Vinyl wrap top of boat to match bottom (Either solid Brittany or Pacific blue, I wish I could have ordered the boat with a solid hull!)
8. Add LCD screen somewhere (For those days when its too rough to ride, it would be cool to be able to watch wakeboard DVD's while anchored)
9. Upgrade rear ballast bag to 800 lbs

I know there is more that I'm forgetting. As I progress on my projects I'll definately be posting pics.

wolfeman131
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
6. Bimini top (that new Monster Tower cargo bimini is looking like the one!)

Ian,

I have some pics of the Monster Tower bimini as I assembled it. I'll try and get them posted later tonight. The season just got short on me and we had too many guests at the lake so the jobs all got pushed. However, this is one project that I can't wait to get done! I rigged the top with a kayak paddle to see how it would look/work and loved it! Way more coverage than the OEM bimini, a bit more headroom and awesome functionality. I just get nervous thinking about drilling holes into the boat!

ian ashton
10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I am anxiously awaiting your pics, man you've been dragging your feet on drilling those holes, aye?! You should have seen me cutting the speaker holes in the bow of my 2 hour old boat this spring, talk about nerve racking!

jester
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
So first off I am surprised that Al AKA Cab, does not have that many winter projects. I have seen his boat and he has done great work with his projects. Al you might have to buy a new boat soon just to get more projects.

So my winter projects if time and money permits are the following.

Install a new amp and Sub. Thinking of putting it where the two speakers are behind the driver’s seat.

Move all the gages around to see my depth finder when driving and better arrangement.

Install a 12V DC plug in the back.

Install two 500 or 750 bags in rear lockup and pumps needed to fill and empity.

Replace floor lights with rope lights or better lights and lights on tower to light up the boat at night.

Replace bow light with popup light. If I get the courage to drill the holes.

Now what I might do:

Install two more tower speakers
Replace stock deck with new one
Install Ipod adapter
Install swim lights
Install spot lights on the tower so pulling into my slip in the middle of the night I will be able to see the dock and boats on both sides.

tazz3069
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I only have a few things that I want to do.
1. Change out ballast pump.
2. Had two more 400lb sack in the rear for surfing.
3. re-plumb all the in and out hoses for the new bags
4. Install my new Abyss lighting.
5. Replace all my tires. I had gone to Arizona a few weeks back. I had lost a tire on the way down there. I will post a pictures as soon as I figure out how I can get it out of my phone.

ian ashton
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I only have a few things that I want to do.
4. Install my new Abyss lighting.

I'm anxiously awaiting your installation of the transom lights, I also want to add some to my boat over the winter, I'd like to see how yours come out.

tprkolbas
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
i'm wrapping up my few upgrades before the boat goes in storage on friday, but this is what i'm doing:

upgraded ballast: just got an integrated bow sac adding 500+ pounds and i upgraded my v drive sacs to 750's. i should be pushing 2400lbs of ballast weight by next year (plus whatever friends i bring along)

having the footsteps installed on the sides so people don't step on the fiberglass rails and for a buffer when and if i ever put the tower down.

i slapped a couple stickers in the side windows (toughest upgrade so far)

in august, i upgraded to the wakeboard prop which was probably the best money spent on an upgrade so far - huge difference out of the hole when the boat is weighted down.

tprkolbas
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
forgot about one more - looking at a video camera tower mount so i can analyze where i'm messing up and to help bump up the skills another notch.

tazz3069
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Ian-
I will post pictures of the install. Looks prety simple. Here is a picture of the tire that I was talking about. This is why I need to change all the tires. They are about a year and a half old.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=709
I honestly do not know how long we were driving on the tire like that. We got into Arizona very late that night. Did not change it until the following morning.

aintskeered
10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Tazz, I changed all 4 of my tires mid year. I had three flats in a week and the tires were just not standing up very tall any more. Thats 1.25 seasons on a boat trailer. The flats were from the valve stems(2) and one from a small sharp rock. Just my two cents but I have a lot of $ in a boat better have some good rubber under it also. I went with the heavyist tire wall I could find. Sure did make a diffrence on the way the boat pulls down the road. I think they put pretty cheap tires on the trailers to keep cost down. If you are not pulling very far this will work great.... But Late night and long tows.... I like the pice of mind. I headed out for lake powell at 9:30 pm and arrived at 2 am last trip down.

tazz3069
10-25-2008, 08:34 AM
What kind of tires did you buy. I was looking at my tires and I saw that I have flat spots on all the tires except for the one I changed. I do not understand. I never locked up the tires. Why are there flat spots? Are the tires really crap? You are right, we all have lots of money invested in the boat. We should have good shoes on it as well.

moombadaze
10-25-2008, 03:42 PM
any idea why my 03 boatmate had goodyear marathons-and the 08 has some brand ive never heard of. I have heard the good years are one of the better tires for a trailer-any truth to that?. if so when its needed i will pony up for 4 new ones.

cab13367
10-25-2008, 05:13 PM
What kind of tires did you buy. I was looking at my tires and I saw that I have flat spots on all the tires except for the one I changed. I do not understand. I never locked up the tires. Why are there flat spots? Are the tires really crap? You are right, we all have lots of money invested in the boat. We should have good shoes on it as well.

Tazz,

Flat spotting occurs when the tires sit under load for a long time without being moved. Someone told me once to overinflate the tires when the boat is in winter storage to avoid flat spotting.

Don't you let the air out of your trailer tires to get your boat into your garage? Do you air them back up once it's in?

Al

tazz3069
10-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes. I do. I think that I might jack the boat up this winter. I found some nice jack stands that will work.

04OUTBACK
10-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I went ahead and ordered the newer Mobius Graphics today and will be changing out my old graphics soon. I decided to go with new graphics over the Wrap option...
Of course, we'll see how she looks with no graphics first...

Also ordered replacement rubber grommets for the tower feet. I know several of you have experienced them slipping out. When I do this, I will make sure the bolts are plenty tight. mine have vibrated loose a couple of times...maybe some loctite!