PDA

View Full Version : Cable Run for Depth Finder

bbaker55
10-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Have a 2005 Moomba Mobuis LSV. Thinking about adding a small color depth finder to the helm on the left side, between the inside of the windshield and the gauges. Any suggests on how to run the cable from the transducer, which would most likely be mounted on the transom, under the swim deck? Is this sometime I should have my dealer do, or not even do it at all due to complexity and/or potential for harming the boat. All feedback welcome. Thanks, BB

Sled491
10-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Why not do a through hull transducer? The after market one I bought has a ring that you glass to the bottom of the boat under the floor. No need to drill through your transom them and limited run on all wires. Just my 2 cents

maxpower220
10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
I also have a through hull transducer. I used the supplied epoxy to secure it to the hull. Running the cable in the direct drive boat was fairly easy. First, find some wires that already run close to the area that you would like to mount the transducer. I chose the power cable to the starter from the battery. There is an access hole that I pulled the wires through. I used a "snake" that I had purchased from Home Depot. My total time pulling the wires was only 10 min. It only took about an hour to cut, mount, and wire the depth finder.

bbaker55
10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks - any suggestions on which in-hull transducer to consider? This makes me feel better - no holes in the bottom if the boat :) BB

Sled491
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, when you buy your depth gauge, you can just get the one that with the through hull vs the exterior version.