PDA

View Full Version : Ballast

02tahoeindiana
10-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey guys! i have been lurking awhile to decide what boat i really wanted. It was between a 09 Outback V and The LSV. Today i went to the dealer and i can get an 08 LSV for the same price as the 09 OBV. I really think i will appreciate the extra room on the LSV. But i realize there was a change in the ballast system, it has the Gravity 3. What would be the fill up time of the 08 LSV and the 09 OBV?

Thanks, Phil

04OUTBACK
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Phil
I have an 06 LSV with GravIII but I have oversize bags in rear..
the 09s have 3 separate pumps so they will be faster..
I would guess the 08 lsv should fill w/in 10 min vs the 09 OBV should fill around 5 minutes

most folks fill while running to where they ride so it is not a big issue.

If I had they choice in the 2 boats, I would go with the LSV, unless you are really wanting the OBV for some reason..

the size will be noticeable in the interior...but I hear the 09 is more boat than the 08 OBVs were...

02tahoeindiana
10-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks, i dont think the 10 minutes will make a difference at all! By the time i get out of the "no wake" zone and i get a rider in the water they would deffinantly be full. Which is great because i really wasnt so impressed with the New OBV to get it rather than the 08 LSV for the same price, it was a noticeable differance in interior room...not very much in the back...but the bow was way noticeable.

Sled491
10-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Just think about this, the LSV is the #1 selling VD on the market from what I read. The new Outback V is just that a totaly new boat. I don't know about you but I have always waited a year for bugs to be worked out of new designs. Plus like was said, the LSV will be a bigger boat inside.

02tahoeindiana
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
one more question. It has all the options. I mean absolutley everything but just the 325 hp engine. How loud/good does the audio system sound? i mean tower speakers and sub and everything?

Sled491
10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the 325. Full stereo, with sub and amps? 4 tower speakers, and six cabin speakers? In the Supra this is a great sounding stereo, but you will find no shortage of guys on this site who will never stop adding to there systems

04OUTBACK
10-19-2008, 11:27 PM
As sled said, there will always be plenty on here adding/improving the stereo.
08 system is better than 06s were.. It should be loud enough to hear riding behind the boat..
Look into the Clarion EQS746 for the ability to have more control over the sound...It will allow you to fade more between cockpit/tower/sub..

Go get that boat and put some hours on it before winter!:D

cab13367
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Phil,

According to this website (see the "New for '09" section), the fill rate of the '09s are 300% faster). So it's like 3 minutes instead of 9. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that 6 minutes is enough reason to go with the smaller boat. And you could always retrofit the new ballast system to your boat if you really had to have it.

I would definitely go with the bigger boat for the same money especially if the '08 is fully loaded unless you have some circumstance that makes the smaller boat a better fit for your situation, i.e., garage depth, boat size restriction on your lake, etc. You will never regret buying the LSV over the OBV. If you buy the OBV, you may find yourself wishing you had a bigger boat a couple years down the road.

Al

kaneboats
10-20-2008, 11:12 AM
If you buy the OBV, you may find yourself wishing you had a bigger boat a couple years down the road.

I dont' know. Has there ever been a boat owner who was looking for a bigger boat later?

02tahoeindiana
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Nothing wrong with the 325. Full stereo, with sub and amps? 4 tower speakers, and six cabin speakers? In the Supra this is a great sounding stereo, but you will find no shortage of guys on this site who will never stop adding to there systems

It only has the 2 tower speakers.

02tahoeindiana
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
As sled said, there will always be plenty on here adding/improving the stereo.
08 system is better than 06s were.. It should be loud enough to hear riding behind the boat..
Look into the Clarion EQS746 for the ability to have more control over the sound...It will allow you to fade more between cockpit/tower/sub..

Go get that boat and put some hours on it before winter!:D

I will prolly have to do some upgrades. Just for fun. I wish i could get it now but i will most likely just keep it reserved until spring, i still have to sell my nautique :P

02tahoeindiana
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Phil,

According to this website (see the "New for '09" section), the fill rate of the '09s are 300% faster). So it's like 3 minutes instead of 9. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that 6 minutes is enough reason to go with the smaller boat. And you could always retrofit the new ballast system to your boat if you really had to have it.

I would definitely go with the bigger boat for the same money especially if the '08 is fully loaded unless you have some circumstance that makes the smaller boat a better fit for your situation, i.e., garage depth, boat size restriction on your lake, etc. You will never regret buying the LSV over the OBV. If you buy the OBV, you may find yourself wishing you had a bigger boat a couple years down the road.

Al

Great! its not a problem at all 9 minutes isnt that bad in perspective. And it will save me alot of money in the future just to get the LSV now.

Sled491
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Still should be good. But again no shortage of guys to give you tips when your ready to upgrade including the best places to buy for the best prices around the county.

dtlaine
10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd go with the LSV. If it wasn't for my lake's boat length restrictions, that's what I'd have.

Sled491
10-20-2008, 10:24 PM
DT, really? Your lake has a lenght restriction? How big is the lake and what is the reasoning?

dtlaine
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, there is a restriction, and it's 18'. The lake is 10.5 acres, but a lot of it is canals. What happened is that we made our offer on our house contingent on an exception for a 2000 OB LS, and they allowed it. When we decided to upgrade (was going to buy a MC X1 - don't ask why), the association would transfer the exception, so we kept the OB. There were already two OB V's on the lake, and someone else moved in with an OB V. That person told the association that the swim platform is 24", making the boat really only 18' 8". The association bought it, and they emailed me telling me to buy an OB V if I want a new wakeboard boat because it fits the restrictions. I made sure I read it correctly, printed the email, put it in my file cabinet, and bought an OB V. They gave me the lake registration, and they haven't said anything about it for the 10 1/2 months I've had it.

The big question as to their reasoning, your guess is as good as mine. The morons that drive around the canals in their 18' Sea Rays at 7 MPH do more damage to the docked boats and shoreline than I do in 4 MPH. Yeah, I throw a big wake on the part of the lake where I can wakeboard, but almost everyone has a sea wall, and I could probably throw almost as big of a wake in an 18' boat if I wanted.

Long answer, huh?

Sled491
10-20-2008, 10:43 PM
DT, maybe long answer but fascinating none the less. So the lake is only 10 acres? Where would you possibly find enough room to run? My part of our 2 part lake is 350 acres and I find it tiny. In WI that size lake would be slow no wake and maybe even no gas motors just electric.

dtlaine
10-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry. It's 165 acres. I had the number ten on the mind because it has ten miles of shoreline.

Sled491
10-20-2008, 10:51 PM
How is that for boat traffic on the weekends. Is this a closed lake? How many homes along the shore?

02 sorry for the steal, were still here for you brother, I just find this kind of interesting:)

dtlaine
10-20-2008, 11:00 PM
It's closed to the public. There are about 600 homes on the lake, but only about 20% have boats. I don't know why people would live there and not used the lake, but I'm glad many of them don't. It gets busy during the day on weekends, but we often go out in the morning, evening, and weekdays; and we're often the only boat on the main part. There is an older Sammy Duval Prostar on the lake and the four OB V's. The other boats are all pontoons, PWC's and I/O's. I've only seen the MC off its lift once, and it wasn't pulling anyone behind it. The owner of one of the OB V's wakeboards quite a bit. One belongs to a family where the kid moved out, and I don't think the boat has moved in months. The last one belongs to a family that I've only ever seen tube behind it. For a small lake, it's not too bad for wakeboarding. It's about .4 mi long, so you can get a few jumps in before you have to turn around. By the time it gets choppy, I'm tired, and we just rest while it calms down. By no means is it a perfect situation, but I like it. If you have Google Earth, you can find the lake if you put 18006 Java Isle Dr., 33647 in the search. It's called Cory Lake.

Sled491
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Very cool. It looks man made, is that correct? The main part of the lake you talked about is that the Southern part? Whole thing looks like one big channel!

dtlaine
10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
There was naturally standing water, but it was dredged and shaped by a developer about 25 years ago. He didn't have the permits, so it just sat for years while he fought in court to avoid fines and allow building. He won eventually, and they started building houses out there about 15 years ago.

Yes, the far south part is where they allow skiing. I maximize every inch of that thing and turn the boat around right at the buoys that mark the boundaries. The rider often goes into the no-wake portion during the turns. My parents live on Lake Ellen in Cascade, WI, and I think that lake is 110 acres. It's a big oval, which works well for watersports, but it's boring for cruising. Our lake isn't ideal for watersports, but truthfully, we spend more time cruising around the canals and socializing in the evenings/nights.

Sled491
10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I could see how night cruising and socializing would be optimum. We just cruise around our Island when the water is high enough. Problem is we never manage to get farther than the point at either end then were tied up and gabbing and having a sociable or 2.

04OUTBACK
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
We looked at a neighborhood next to ours that has a 100 ac lake.. They allow ski/wake on it... but i later learned there were some FUSSY people about that. i don't think they thought through the wakeboat thing when they allowed it. I don't know of a size limit, but I know there is a SAN210, Malibu 21 or 23 and a tige 22V out there. there are a few kids that can kill out out there so I am sure there are folks that get upset will wakes! it is nice, convenient, etc. but I did not want to hear folks fussin all the time about my boat!

kaneboats
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
One of these days a developer is going to make a perfect wakeboarding lake community with a huge lake with lots of cuts on it and an island with a bar and bathrooms and a sandbar for hanging out. It will be inboards only; no jetskis allowed and absolutely NO FISHING! Ha.

moombadaze
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
"One of these days a developer is going to make a perfect wakeboarding lake community with a huge lake with lots of cuts on it and an island with a bar and bathrooms and a sandbar for hanging out. It will be inboards only; no jeskis allowed and absolutely NO FISHING! Ha. " make it in warm water with surfing zone and im moving

jclay5
10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
One of these days a developer is going to make a perfect wakeboarding lake community with a huge lake with lots of cuts on it and an island with a bar and bathrooms and a sandbar for hanging out. It will be inboards only; no jeskis allowed and absolutely NO FISHING! Ha.

Not to be negative, but if a developer designed a wakeboarding community the water would always be choppy! unless.... they could create a way to get rid of the chop! If thats the case than I'm moving as well.

kaneboats
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Nope. It would be owners only and they would respect each others' turns so we would all putt around with no wake -- one end reserved for surfing -- and tubing allowed only between 3-5 pm on Tues. and Thurs. Hey, it's my dream I can put anything in it I want!! Oh yeah, Cindy Crawford is on the Association Board too.

Sled491
10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Ohhh, I'm on it. I think the Island is key. Not only a good place to gather for an afternoon beverage, but can be used as a wave break. Would association dues cover beverage costs or is this supposed to be a profit center? How are you going to be on house design?

MrsZ
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
LOL! When I first read about the developer creating the wakeboard lake community I thought he was talking about the kind of developer I am (software)! That would be a high-tech lake, I think!

Sled491
10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
To be honest, in todays day and age, a project like this could not be started or presented or completed without someone like you. The theoretical lake would have to be first designed on a computer to work out the bugs, then this model is what would be used to present to the DNR and other government agencies needed for the buy in.

The problem is that the cost of this kind of project would require either a lot of homesites, or a cost per homesite that would be prohibitive.

dtlaine
10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I was thinking of that a while back. I think that if the body of water was set-up like an infinity pool, where the waves go off the edge, there would be no chop. You would just pump the water back into the lake after it goes into a trough surrounding the lake. Would it work? I believe so, but it may not be practical.

Sled491
10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Like a negative edge pool. Still the island or a couple of them are needed to break up the body of water into two useable runs, plus it helps with wind. Of the wind I would also run the lake East West to take advantage of previaling winds.

kaneboats
10-22-2008, 12:43 PM
There are lots of natural ways to break up the rollers. One idea is to have the island (easily made from the excavated earth) lined with rocks or some other substance/shape/material that tends to dissipate as opposed to reflect the waves. We could use the software person to develop the best material and shape/depth, etc. A long skinny lake with an island in the middle so you could go round and round with a good run on each side is definitely the ticket though.

Sled491
10-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Unlike my ski camp idea which is slowly turning into a wing and beer thing, this idea is slowly getting legs in the right direction