PDA

View Full Version : Winterize Question - How to ...without putting boat in water?

shulaj
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I have my 07 LSV in my driveway but my manual is at the cottage. I want to run the boat to winterize, but is there a way to just screw my house onto some intake hose on the motor? I see a water bit in there but just thought I maybe needed to go buy one of those plunger things to put on the water intake.

Also,

1: Is there only ONE water intake for engine cooling or two? Where is this hole? (I know bottom of boat but which one is for the motor and which is for balast?

Also, I read the posted list of winterizing proceedures....but is there a BEST VERSION someone can put the hyperlink to?

Thanks.

04OUTBACK
10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
ShulaJ
Manual is available online under http://www.moomba.com/downloads/

You can make remove the intake hose where it goes into the transmission cooler and insert a water hose...
intake on port side of the hull is engine cooling. starboard is ballast.

shulaj
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Anyone have a step-by-step HOW TO WINTERIZE THE MOTOR section? The manual says "get it done by a professional".

Thank you.

04OUTBACK
10-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Courtesy of CAB13367

Winterizing Instructions for 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

A. Put Sta-Bil in fuel and run the boat. Spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil into throttle body. Shut off engine.
B. Drain/Change the oil.
C. Winterize, as follows (note that the front of the engine faces the rear of the boat):
1) Disconnect the exhaust manifold hoses (looks like garden hose fittings). They come together towards the back of the engine, on the port side. Disconnecting the two hoses drains the two manifolds.
2) Using a 5/16” nut driver on the hose clamps, disconnect and drain the two hoses attached to the raw water pump, which is attached to the main pulley on the front of the engine.
3) Remove the large hose attached to the recirculation pump on the port side on the front of the engine, above the raw water pump.
4) Remove the impeller cover using a 5/16” nut driver (be careful not to strip when reinstalling) and spray with silicone. Also, spray silicone into the two hose inlet/outlets. Note that you are supposed to remove the impeller, coat with Vaseline, and put in a plastic bag. Access to impeller is improved if you remove the small, fixed engine access cover towards the back of the boat, on the starboard side. Use needle nose vise grips to remove impeller.
5) Remove the two (2) plugs on the v-drive unit, one on the front, one on the rear. Use a 7/16” closed end wrench. The front is a vent plug and you might not get any water out of it. Put Teflon tape on the threads prior to re-installation.
6) Remove the two (2) plugs on the engine block, one on each side. Use a 9/16” socket. DO NOT FORGET THESE PLUGS OR YOU WILL BE BUYING A NEW ENGINE IN THE SPRING!
7) Remove the one (1) plug underneath the muffler, on the port side. Use a 3/8” socket. Use a large cup (32 oz to catch the water).
8) Ballast System
(a) Disconnect and drain solenoids using the quick disconnects on the hoses. Watch for rubber o-rings and make sure they don’t fall out.
(b) Remove water strainer. Be careful when putting the filter back as it has to properly seat on the top and on the bottom.
(c) Disconnect and drain the bags, then put one capful of bleach in them to prevent mold.
9) Remove each spark plug and spray fogging oil into each cylinder for about 2 – 3 seconds. Spray the impeller with silicone. Then bump the starter for about 1 – 2 seconds. Reinstall the spark plugs.

shulaj
10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry for my Q's here.
What about putting antifreeze in the engine? No needed??
Also, to drain the oil, how do you actually do it? Is there a hose which goes through the bottom of the boat or something? That is what Indmar said to look for - but the guy was not sure.

04OUTBACK
10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Shula,
I am in Mississippi so our winters are mild...rare long term times below freeze so I don't fool with AntiFreeze... so I have no input..

The oil drain hose should be on the starboard side on a paper clip looking clip that is hooked to the lift ring on the engine.. You should be able to fish it out the back drain hole in the boat..
Tip...make sure the engine is warm to drain oil...

mine is about 4-6" shy of being easy to drain.. i have a 2-3' piece of clear hose I put over the end of the drain hose so that i can guide the oil into a drain pan.. I have an electric oil pump.. last time, I held the hose in the end of the drain hose and kinda vacuumed it out.. I have seen an oil pump that has a fitting that fits on the end of the drain hose.. would like to get that fitting myself.. other folks use the pump vacs and pump out of the dipstick..
I like getting the bottom of the oil pan out the hose myself...
But Mercedes dealers change their oil that way I hear..

shulaj
10-16-2008, 02:15 PM
So the ONLY questions I have left from your list is this

1: Where is the bolt under the Muffler? Is it on the motor? I honestly have zero clue here.
2: I see water in the Flushpro but cannot really determine A) how to get it out and B) why is there a garden hose connection on it, C) what is it for?

Thanks

cab13367
10-17-2008, 12:59 AM
shulaj,

I am the author of the list that 04outback posted. I took those notes when I had the service guy at the Moomba dealership walk me thru the process when I bought the boat. I also tweaked it a little when I winterized my boat last year.

I will attempt to answer some of your questions:

1. What about putting antifreeze in the engine? No needed??

You either replace the water with anti-freeze or you drain all the water out. You don't need to do both.

2. I see water in the Flushpro but cannot really determine A) how to get it out and B) why is there a garden hose connection on it, C) what is it for?

By this comment, I take it you have a FlushPro installed. There are two ways to run your boat out of the water. You either use the Fake-a-Lake plunger looking thing or you use the FlushPro. Since you have a FlushPro, you might as well use it. The garden hose connection is just that - you connect your garden hose to it, turn on the water full blast, then start the engine. The FlushPro allows the water from the garden hose to circulate through your cooling system.

3. Is there only ONE water intake for engine cooling or two? Where is this hole? (I know bottom of boat but which one is for the motor and which is for balast?

Open your v-drive cover and you can see the two intakes, and which one is for cooling water and which one is for the ballast.

4. Also, to drain the oil, how do you actually do it? Is there a hose which goes through the bottom of the boat or something? That is what Indmar said to look for - but the guy was not sure.

Yes. Like 04outback says, it's a rubber hose that is clipped to a lifting lug. I tried to drain the oil out the back last year but didn't get nearly all the oil out. I bought a vaccumm pump this year and plan to suck the oil out of the oil drain hose, not the dipstick hole.

5. Where is the bolt under the Muffler? Is it on the motor?

No, it is on the muffler itself, on the underside (obviously, since it's a drain). The muffler is the tubular, black, fiberglass thing aft of the engine.

Hope that helps.

Al

shulaj
10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Al,

Thx. I go everything done except the water from the FlushPro. I can see water in the clear plastic.
Also, still cannot find the drain in the bottom of the muffler!

Ideas?

cab13367
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
How about disconnecting the intake hose from either end of the Flushpro and draining it that way?

The muffler drain is on the bottom of the muffler itself on the port side. That's where mine is. Maybe it's different on the '07?

Al

shulaj
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I would disconnect the hoses on the flush pro, but they're hard to get at since the hoses seem rock hard to pull out.

I will call Skiers Choice and have them tell me where the drain is on my muffler. I give up.

04OUTBACK
10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Shula,
was not shure if you found the oil drain hose.. i think I gave bad directions.
Here is a photo..

cab13367
10-19-2008, 01:05 AM
I will call Skiers Choice and have them tell me where the drain is on my muffler. I give up.
Here you go.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_2945.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_2946.jpg