PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sinclair

dtlaine
10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I am headed to Lake Sinclair this coming weekend (10/17-19), and I'm wondering if anyone has advice of places to definitely go or not go on the lake. I'm especially interested in any info regarding places that are too shallow. I understand the lake level fluctuates throughout the day. I'm staying where the red X is on the attached picture, which isn't that clear.

Thank you in advance.

kaneboats
10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Be sure to let wolfeman know you are coming. That's his backyard and he's good people. Have a great time!

zegm
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Dt,

That lake is not really shallow, the normal level is what you will see during the day and at night they let the levels rise. You will not see it drop below what is considered the normal daytime level. The only problems you will have is there are a couple of bridges that will be hard to get under with a tower and the ones you do get under you need to make sure that you are heading home before 5:00ish so that when the water level does rise you don't get stuck not being able to get under the bridge again. MrsZ and I almost had this problem this past August. It is also a Georgia lake which means you can not see more than 6" through the water (on a good day!). If you go by the power plant though the water temperature will be very warm, close enough to the plant and it is Very Warm! But this is also where one of those bridges is located. Have fun!!!

Sled491
10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Say, by that power plant, are there any of those three legged fish or four eyed salamanders?

dtlaine
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Z- thanks for the info. The home we rented is located in a place where we have to go under a bridge to get to the other 99% of the lake. The owners said that it has at least 8' but more like 10' normally. They said it's the bridge w/ the highest clearance on the lake.

We're looking forward to the trip. Our lake is also quite opaque, so I'm not worried about that.

wolfeman131
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Be sure to let wolfeman know you are coming. That's his backyard and he's good people. Have a great time!

Thanks Kane . . .

DT - I sent you a PM with a few more details, but as Zegm said, no real worries with water level. I believe that the bridge you have to go under is the Crooked Creek Rd bridge. Shouldn't be a problem, even with tower up. You'll be able to go North from there to the Wallace Dam that separates Lake Oconee & Lake Sinclair or South/East to the bigger water and the Sinclair Dam.

Hope you have a great time!

zegm
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Sled,

No no 3 eyed, 2 1/2 eared fish there as it is a coal fired plant run by GA Power. This is the lake where MrsZ learned to ski and spent her childhood skiing as her parents have had a cabin there for over 40 years. It is a nice lake, no big green lizards to worry about either. We will have a mini Jamboree again there next year. Last year there were just the 2 of us Moomba owners attending but it was great with Wolfeman and his family! And we did spot another Moomba going by at times! Next year we hope to pull some of the Florida folks up that way, at least to show them what a Great Georgia Lake is so that they can see that Lanier isn't exactly a great skiing lake. It is nice if you own a 60footer but Sinclair is 10X better for the inboard folks! Right Wolfeman!!!!

Sled491
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey Z, where the heck have you been?

wolfeman131
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Sled,

No no 3 eyed, 2 1/2 eared fish there as it is a coal fired plant run by GA Power. This is the lake where MrsZ learned to ski and spent her childhood skiing as her parents have had a cabin there for over 40 years. It is a nice lake, no big green lizards to worry about either. We will have a mini Jamboree again there next year. Last year there were just the 2 of us Moomba owners attending but it was great with Wolfeman and his family! And we did spot another Moomba going by at times! Next year we hope to pull some of the Florida folks up that way, at least to show them what a Great Georgia Lake is so that they can see that Lanier isn't exactly a great skiing lake. It is nice if you own a 60footer but Sinclair is 10X better for the inboard folks! Right Wolfeman!!!!

With respect to all that enjoy Lanier, that lake doesn't have anything better than Sinclair other than being closer to Atlanta. Sinclair's water level remained constant during the drought and has been voted as GA's cleanest lake. The big cruisers and houseboats are not on Sinclair so the biggest rollers to avoid are normally your own. Finding glass is easy with all of the coves and we've had the girls up on the skis for 45 min runs - up & back, up & back, up & back.

Worst problems we deal with are Canadian geese (wish I could shoot 'em), snakes (I do shoot 'em!) and blonde teen girls/old bald men on jet skis that like to get 10 ft behind my kids on the skis/tube trying to jump the wake (wish I could shoot some of 'em too!)! I've found a full-size air horn to be rather effective in getting them to go away. I also have binoculars, pad and pen to write down reg numbers that I email off to the GA DNR.