PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

Chris_B
10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I installed a Flush Pro yesterday on my 02 Outback. When I used it the first time, I used too much water pressure before starting the engine. Besides the water that was spraying out around one of the hose clamps, you could hear the impeller turning. It took a long time to get the engine started, but I hadn't started it for about 6 weeks (law school's a bitch). It smoked quite a bit, but I had never seen it run out of water before so I didn't know if it was normal.

Today, I took it to the lake. Again, it would barely start. Eventually, I had to speed up the idle to get it to run. Now, there was a good amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I ran it for about 5 minutes around the lake and got it up to operating temp. Back to idle and still white smoke. The idle was horribly rough too.

I'm instantly thinking head gasket from the extra water pressure yesterday, but now I'm not sure. There's no water in the cylinders or oil. The rear two cylinders had residual fuel on the spark plugs and the forward six had heavy carbon deposits (not there two lake trips ago).

Now I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts???

Chris_B
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I park my boat on a pretty good slope, so when I did the compression test, the rear cylinder had about 230 psi. I decided to put the plugs back in and warm it up. Whatdya know? It ran great.

I'm now guessing that the Flush Pro was just a red herring and the real culprit might be the choke. Perhaps it remained choked the entire time, thus making it run super rich?

Whatever the problem this morning, it's now gone! No more smoke!:D