PDA

View Full Version : Ski Locker - This doesn't look right

silverski
10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
05 Outback LSV that I have owned since new- As has been mentioned many times on this board, water accumulates in the ski locker. At the end of every year, I wet vac the water out and wipe down the center locker. There has always been what I call a blemish in the bottom of the sk locker that frankly I didn't really pay much attention to as the floor pad covers it up. This time as I was wiping the ski locker clean, I noticed that water was oozing out of this "blemish" and filling the ski locker back up. It accumulates a puddle pretty quickly. This doesn't seem right. Does anyone else have this same thing in the bottom of their ski locker? I've attached pictures for reference.

cab13367
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
05 Outback LSV that I have owned since new- As has been mentioned many times on this board, water accumulates in the ski locker. At the end of every year, I wet vac the water out and wipe down the center locker. There has always been what I call a blemish in the bottom of the sk locker that frankly I didn't really pay much attention to as the floor pad covers it up. This time as I was wiping the ski locker clean, I noticed that water was oozing out of this "blemish" and filling the ski locker back up. It accumulates a puddle pretty quickly. This doesn't seem right. Does anyone else have this same thing in the bottom of their ski locker? I've attached pictures for reference.

There was a post about this before and SC replied that the "blemish" is caused by SC drilling a couple holes thru the locker floor so that they can inject flotation foam into the cavity below. They then patch the hole which is what you see. If you have water coming up from under the ski locker floor, that is not good. I would be inclined to seal that hole but only if I am sure all the water is out of there, but I am not sure how you would do that.

Al

KurtL
10-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Silverski,

I see you have the same issue I posted about back in September(see post "water in hull under ski locker"). I would really like to here the official Skiers Choice response to the possiblity of damage if area is not completely drained. I had my 2008 LS winterized by our new dealer here in Montana two weeks ago. Noticed there was still some water(small amount) in the engine compartment after the service. I hope they drained the bow space well. My boat will be inside a garage but the temps can be -30-40F at times here. Skier's Choice, is there need for concern here!?!?

Kurt

zabooda
10-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Left as is there could be a problem as there is enough water in the foam to cause hydrostatic pressure and come out of the opening. During freezing conditions, the water expands 10% so who knows how that expansion will occur. I would recommend trying to remove as much water by drilling a small hole or remove the entire plug as it leaks anyway and insert rigid tubing into the cavity and possibly the foam and connect to a wet vac and remove as much water as possible. In the spring, reassess the problem and put a better seal on the hole.

silverski
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Kurt,

I sent you a PM.

The boat is at a body shop where I am told they are in the process of opening the bottom of the ski locker, drying it out, refoaming and resealing. Hopefully it works.

Sled491
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree this looks disturbing. One has to remember though, that Moomba uses no wood in the construction of there boats. I hope that this fact pertains to your 05 Silver. That being said Zabooda makes a good point about the water expanding during freezing. I would doubt though that there would be enough water left in the foam to casue a blow out in the hull. It sounds like this is a common practice for SC and as such would have been investigated if it was causing warrenty work in the form of blow outs in hulls and ski lockers.

snowboardcorey
11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Have you had your dealer take a look at it, the guys at Forest Lake are pretty stand up guys from my dealings with them. At a minimum get it on their radar.

Second have you tracked down why you are getting water in your ski locker, a little is kind of normal but a consistent problem might be worth tracking down. Could be as simple as a loose engine hose or log shaft packing. It's nice to keep the bilge area as dry as possible, your steering cable and some other pieces run through there.

zabooda
11-07-2008, 08:44 PM
We know one path of liquid intrusion and that is through the plug which doesn't have a good seal and any water going into the compartment will drain below. There is no way of testing the plug and SS should do their filling work from the side if feasible and the problem is eliminated if it is far enough up from the bilge area.