PDA

View Full Version : Ballast drain pump question

TL7
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
We have an 07 Outback. Right before the warranty expired, the empty pump went out and I had it replaced at the dealer. New one worked great. Now when I drain the rear sac it barely trickles out. This was a new pump replaced in July. Do they go bad that fast, or do I have another issue? When the first pump went out, it just died. No slow down or anything.

So I guess I have 2 questions....

1. Is it normal for these pumps to go bad this often?

2. Can I replace with a larger pump? I'm not sure what size is in there now...whatever factory is I guess.

04OUTBACK
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
make sure there is no kink in the line anywhere..

TL7
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
make sure there is no kink in the line anywhere..

Thanks bro great call. Finally tore into it and sure enough it was kinked in two places. It was pinched between the gunwale and the floor, and it was kinked at a 90 degree angle coming out of the sac behind the wall. I've got some hose so it should be an easy fix tomorrow.

It's a 700gph Rule pump. I went to Academy to see about getting a larger pump since I've got it all torn apart anyway. They had an 1100gph one, but the discharge was 1-1/8" instead of 3/4". Would this really accomplish anything since the thru-hull is 3/4"? I would have to reduce the hose back down to 3/4" so would that really benefit me at all? I can get a 800gph and use the existing hose size, but I don't think an extra 100gph is worth $40.

JesseC
10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Be careful going too large on the evac pumps. I actually replace my rear ones with the 500gph pumps, I know that sounds weird, but I kept burning up the 700gph pumps. I figure that the pumps are running harder than the water can flow out of the ports. When you turn on your evac pumps, look how far the water is being sprayed out of the side of the boat. I know my 700s were going about 2-3 feet out then falling. I have given serious thought to trying to find 1" thru hull fittings and changing out the hose sizes.

JesseC
10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Oops, I wasn't ready to post that yet, I was going to put some numbers with it.

Here are some ROUGH comparisons on the pumps:

pump GPH / sac weight / minutes to empty
800gph / 750lbs / 6.8 min.
700gph / 750lbs / 7.7 min.
500gph / 750lbs / 10.8 min.

800gph / 450lbs / 4.1 min.
700gph / 450lbs / 4.6 min.
500gph / 450lbs / 6.4 min.

I figured the 500s would get the job done in a reasonable amount of time and I have not replaced one since I put them in.

If any of the above is inaccurate, I am sure Joe Techie will fix it!!!!

jclay5
10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Since this thread is going I figured I would add a question to it. My right drain pump on my moomba mobius V has quit working the pump doesnt even turn on. Now my question is do you guys think the pump has gone bad or is there a fuse for each individual pump? The reason why I'm kinda thrown for a loop is because the LED light on the empty switch no longer works either making me wonder if the pump is getting any power to it at all. I just find it odd that one min the pump is working great and the next min it has no power to it... any advice would be great.

JesseC
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Since this thread is going I figured I would add a question to it. My right drain pump on my moomba mobius V has quit working the pump doesnt even turn on. Now my question is do you guys think the pump has gone bad or is there a fuse for each individual pump? The reason why I'm kinda thrown for a loop is because the LED light on the empty switch no longer works either making me wonder if the pump is getting any power to it at all. I just find it odd that one min the pump is working great and the next min it has no power to it... any advice would be great.

Each pump has a fuse. When I lost my last pump a stick lodged in the impeller and fried the pump. When the pump seized and fried, it then blew the fuse! The previous owner had put a larger fuse on one of the three evac pumps. Check the fuse panel behind the steering column and see if you can locate a burnt fuse. If not, check for 12 volts near the dead pump.

jclay5
10-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Each pump has a fuse. When I lost my last pump a stick lodged in the impeller and fried the pump. When the pump seized and fried, it then blew the fuse! The previous owner had put a larger fuse on one of the three evac pumps. Check the fuse panel behind the steering column and see if you can locate a burnt fuse. If not, check for 12 volts near the dead pump.

jesseC,

Thanks for the info I was doing my normal routine this morning standing in the garage drinking a cup of coffee while I ponder at the boat just thinking about how much I love it. Anyway as my cup of coffee was coming to an end I decided to climb in and check out the fuse panel real quick and what would you know my eyes would amaze me jesseC was right there was a dedicated and labeled ballast fuse panel. So I quickly pulled the Right Drain fuse out and of course it was blown, so I replaced and BAM it works :) thanks for the help God Bless the Moomba Forums!

JesseC
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
jesseC,

Thanks for the info I was doing my normal routine this morning standing in the garage drinking a cup of coffee while I ponder at the boat just thinking about how much I love it. Anyway as my cup of coffee was coming to an end I decided to climb in and check out the fuse panel real quick and what would you know my eyes would amaze me jesseC was right there was a dedicated and labeled ballast fuse panel. So I quickly pulled the Right Drain fuse out and of course it was blown, so I replaced and BAM it works :) thanks for the help God Bless the Moomba Forums!

No problem, my only other concern would be, why did it blow? Could have just been an old fuse and it just decided to give up the ghost or your ballast pump is on the verge of giving up as well. Could have just been the right conditions where the pump ran dry for a while got hot and popped the fuse. I hope it all stays working for you. Good luck.