PDA

View Full Version : Winterization procedure

deafgoose
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I do have the Indmar manual but I find it hard to understand perfectly.

How do you guys winterize your boats? I don't trust my local dealer (non moomba) so i will be doing it myself tomorrow. I will be paying to have the boat wrapped though.

Thanks!!

hiqualityH2O
10-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Deaf- Do a search for "winterization". You'll find all kinds of methods and suggestions. How you winterize is sort of dependent on where you live. Bottom line, you'll want to make sure you get as much water out of the boat/motor/heater core/Vdrive as possible. Hope this helps.

kaneboats
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Somebody not too long ago put up a huge 50 point or so checklist of everything you could ever dream of for winterization. Run the search recommended above and you should find it.

jester
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
The post you are talking about was done by Cab in https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6534

james
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I am looking at the current thread and have viewed the great information by Cab. I have a 2001 Outback LS that I will be winterizing this weekend(at least planning it). I know my engine sits differently, but is everything else fairly the same? Also I have a question about antifreeze. Do any of you use for a just in case and if so where do you add?

Thanks

Mikey
10-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I add some at the intake hose which i disconnect at the bottom behind the motor. Fill untill running through motor,then open up and drain out. this way hopefully the little bit still in motor etc is antifreeze not water.

jlaws2952
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I have an 02 outback, and have always added where the the thermostat sits, pull the thermostat up and add, and never had a problem.

cab13367
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I add some at the intake hose which i disconnect at the bottom behind the motor. Fill untill running through motor,then open up and drain out. this way hopefully the little bit still in motor etc is antifreeze not water.

Mikey,

I think it's okay if there is a little water left. As long as it has room to expand when it freezes it should not cause any damage.

Someone correct me if that's not right.

Al

cab13367
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I am looking at the current thread and have viewed the great information by Cab. I have a 2001 Outback LS that I will be winterizing this weekend(at least planning it). I know my engine sits differently, but is everything else fairly the same? Also I have a question about antifreeze. Do any of you use for a just in case and if so where do you add?

Thanks
James,

Glad my write up helps. Don't know if all of it is applicable to your boat but I would guess most would be.

Al

Mikey
10-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree a little water is probably fine. Unfortunately my boat is stored outside in my backyard,tarped etc. Our winters can vary in temps from -35 celsious to +20 and you can add wind factors to both of those temps so i just like to play it safe and get all or almost all water out and just have antifreeze in there.

james
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Winterization is relatively easy. Thanks for everyones help. I do have a couple of more questions. One is type of oil. I see every different brand of 15w40 except for Pennzoil as well as not finding the filter. What is the real difference? Any other recommendations like Deco or Rotella, etc? As well as a alternate oil filter? Secondly since I am maintaining is there any thing I should be concerned abot if I change the fuel filter and water seperator? I have a 5.7 EFI Indmar 310 Assault. Thanks

04OUTBACK
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
There are different schools of thought on Oil. Most folks including Larry from Indmar (EngineNut) on here, will tell you that Rotella is fine. some use Delo,
some use Mobil1 synthetic after 100 hours.
My walmart carries the pennzoil marine in their marine section. Also in the past, I have gotten Pennzoil non-marine at auto parts store. BUT, Rotella 15W40 will be quite fine.
As far as filters, here is a cross ref list. I can always find the PH30 at Wal Mart too:
Oil Filters
----------------
AC/Delco PF25
Castrol CM30
Fram PH30
Napa 1069
Pennzoil PZ3
Penske PN30
Purolator L20049
Motorcraft FL10
Quaker State QS30
WIX 51069

james
10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
thanks for the list. I just came from Wal-mart and every other 15w40 but Pennzoil. Thanks for the list of filters.