PDA

View Full Version : Shredded water hose

Sled491
10-02-2008, 08:31 PM
So i mentioned on another thread that one of my cooloing hoses keeps bursting. It is the on right after the impeller so the water is still cold. I keeps bursting right below the tranny cooler. My dealer got me a new hose and last weekend I replaced it. Boat runs fine all is good.

So here is my question. When looking into the burst end, the hose is all stringy. It looks all chewed up. My frontage is very shallow and our bottom is know as Marl, which is a combination of fine mud and sand. Very nice to walk on but maybe hard on the inside of my hose? when backing off of my lift and the initial turn into the deep water churns up a lot this sandy mix, which more than likely gets into my cooling system.

Do you think this stuff is ripping apart my coolant hose? The impeller shows no sign of wear after 2 seasons. I will of course change it this winter, but I still wonder about the effects of the sandy mix. Should I add a fresh water strainer? Would it work well on this kind of fine sand? Would it plug up too fast and need constant attention, and would the sandy mix scratch up the veiwing cup and make having to pull the cup all the time to make sure its clear?

Any input would be appreciated.

zegm
10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
We have the water strainer, it basically has a metal screen in the center and the goodies are trapped inside of it, not on the outside against the plastic. It is a simple and easy to use device. It also allows me a way to connect to the engine coolant system so that I can winterize it really easy!

bigbadjon_LSV
10-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Zegm, Would you mind sharing how you are winterizing through the water strainer? I also have the water strainer, but I never thought of winterizing through it. Thanks.

Hodag
10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Sled - looking back through your earlier posts, the sand could be effecting, but not likely your only problem. Since this problem came up within the first hour you had the boat, and your report that they appear to be a 2" outer slit in the hose doesn't really compute. I've got similar conditions at my lake, and an 07 outback (135 hrs) and haven't seen this problem. Prior to this boat, I've serviced my families I/O for 35 years without replacing a single hose under same conditions. If the sand were the cause, you would see a definate wear spot on the inside of the hose, kind of like someone sand-blasted it.

zabooda
10-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree with Hodag as I would expect the water pump impeller to be the first to go and I would expect similar wear elsewhere on the hoses. Have other people on the lake had any problems as the ph of the water can affect the integrity of the rubber where the water stays there all the time. I don't know much about rubber hoses but glancing through the internet a low or high ph will affect the integrity but most lakes are fairly neutral.

Sled491
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I tend to agree with everyone, because if the sand was the culprit my impellor would be toast. Still it was interesting to note that the inside of the hose had a definate problem.

No on my lake I seem to be the only one with this problem. Note however that my first incident was on the return hose, while the last two were on the feed hose after the water pump. I believe Deerfield just had the same hose blow as well, and while we are both in WI waters, our lakes are at least 1 & 1/2 hrs apart.

zegm
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
bigbadjon,

Since this is a new 2008 Moomba I haven't winterized it yet but with my old MasterCraft I would take the suction hose off the hull fitting, take a 5 gallon bucket, use 1 gallon antifreeze and the rest water and then put the suction hose into this bucket and crank the engine. I would run the engine until the bucket was empty, which doesn't take long. Then I would go and drain the block and any other hoses that I could. I knew then that whatever liquid that was trapped in the engine was mixed with antifreeze. Mind you I lived in Atlanta when i did this so you might want to change the ratio. Not being able to easily get this hose off the hull fitting on the new LS this strainer allows me connection that is easy to get to. I might have to purchase some more suction hose to reach the bucket but I will do the same thing. I really don't worry too much about it here in Florida but we do sometimes get a night that will approach 26F degrees.