PDA

View Full Version : New Quad: What fins should i get

adsman
10-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I just got a IS loogey quad and wanted to get some feedback on what size fins to get for the second set. It came with a pair of 11.5cm carbon fiber fins. I am guessing that the answer is going to be "it depends on your riding style"... .so here goes:

the board is for my wife. She is 5'10" and "light" (been married to long to reveal her wieght).
She has a surfing background but has only been wakesurfing for the past year. She will want to be able progress with the board and be able to dabble in all of the tricks/skills... i guess i am asking is:

"what fin cofiguration will offer her the most versatility"

on the IS site they have a few sizes to choose from:
-11.5cm
-7cm
-5cm
-7cm 'trick fin'

you can see the options here:
http://www.inlandsurfer.com/shop/Results.asp?category=6

thoughts, suggestions?

adsman
10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for replying to my post ed... you gotta hate it when your post gets the ol goose egg in responses...

I did post on wakeworld and here is the response that I got.

respone from TXsurf on wakeworld:
"
I would go with the Trick setup that IS shows or the Thruster setup (The 7cm Carbon looks the same from what I can see, just carbon fins). But you are correct, its all about your riding preference.
IMO the best idea, if you can, buy the different sets of fins and play with different configurations until you find what works for you.
"
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/632137.html?1223014128

aintskeered
10-03-2008, 12:49 PM
adsman, thanx for the up date on this.... I was watching and wondering myself. I finally got my loogie on the water wensday. Just the thruster fins. Oh what fun! I really enjoy the speed and responsivnes of the board. I am wondering if adding more fins is going to take away from that? 4 vs 2 I kinda like the way it rides now but I am wondering about changing the thruster fins out for trick fins and still just riding on 2 fins? Also if you move the thruster fins from the out board position to the inside set ..... What dose this do for/to the board. Any one riding quad finns have explination on what this dose?

adsman
10-03-2008, 02:43 PM
adsman, thanx for the up date on this.... I was watching and wondering myself. I finally got my loogie on the water wensday. Just the thruster fins. Oh what fun! I really enjoy the speed and responsivnes of the board. I am wondering if adding more fins is going to take away from that? 4 vs 2 I kinda like the way it rides now but I am wondering about changing the thruster fins out for trick fins and still just riding on 2 fins? Also if you move the thruster fins from the out board position to the inside set ..... What dose this do for/to the board. Any one riding quad finns have explination on what this dose?

there is a good post by Jeff Walker(surfdad) on wakeworld that talks about quadfins.... might help a bit:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/559019/536052.html

aintskeered
10-05-2008, 01:19 PM
adsman, I called and talked to Lance at inland. Really nice guy, He said if any one has Q's about fins ect just ring him and he would be glad to talk with them. He said it was pretty hard to explain fin placment and design and write it down but gave me the basics. So here goes,

Larger fins and more fins make the board track better/more twards the boat(straight line) Also they provide more thrust/acceleration. But they are harder and require more strength to carve and turn with.

Out board vs inboard slots on the board(for running just 2 fins)

Outboard slots tighten up the feel of the board more. Inboard slots would loosen the feel.

I am pretty happy with what little ride time I got with my new board. I might look at the trick fins in the quad set up. Let me know where you end up from the stock.

adsman
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
thought I'd post some pics of my new boards (carbon loogey for the wife and phase5 scamp for my 5 and 7 year olds) ...

sailing217
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Not quad fins but I went from 2 thruster fins to 2 trick fins on my Blue Lake and it's like riding a new board. I love the trick fins. The thrusters grabbed the water too much for me to progress any further. They are great for carving and my wife just coming from a beginner board, but there was no chance at landing a 360. The trick fins are a great middle ground where they still carve pretty good, but also very predictable on when the tail will come out.

That said, I also changed to a small phase five Icon board and a long 1" high single fin. The board is crazy loose and I love it. I really have to keep the board on edge for turns but the thing will spin all day. Not as fast as the inland but very fast for how small a board.

Those skim fins look pretty cool too. I'd pick up a set or 2 of the trick fins and if you don't like them I'm sure you could find someone to take them off your hands.

ps. if you don't have a board bag get one. They were back ordered all summer.