PDA

View Full Version : Wake size - Outback or LS?

MrsZ
09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I have been talking about the "big" wake behind our LS and let me tell you that I was wrong about that. Kaneboats was kind enough to take me for a pull behind his Outback and I can tell you that the wake felt exactly the same to me. I flew over the wake and showed my fin about the same! I WAS just spoiled by our ancient....I mean classic MC Stars and Stripes that weighs at least 1000 pounds less than the current DDs. The wake behind the larger LS is very similar to its smaller sister, Outback. Now I guess I need to compare to the newer MC and Nautiques to be satisfied that I am indeed just a dinosaur, like the old boat.

BensonWdby
09-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Mrs Z
Just shorten the rope and go faster - you won't notice the wake...

Seriously - I had a chance to ski behind late 70's vintage MC and Nautiques back in the day. For tournament boats I was surprised at how different the wakes were (at 15off/30 mph). My impression back then was that I preferred MC. They were smaller and crisper, with what seemed like a table between so you did not get so much of an up/down at each wake. The CC seemed rounder and mushier...

I don't even notice the wake behind our 99 Mobius DD. But some skiing buddies who are more accustomed to outboards say it is bigger than they like.

We normally run pretty light also. Never more than 3 in the boat (usually 2). Our boat is also very sensitive to weight distribution.

For us the season is over. Boat comes out of the water next weekend.

Dave

MrsZ
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Mrs Z
Just shorten the rope and go faster - you won't notice the wake...

lol! I'll get right on that!

I also much preferred the MC back in the day. I wonder what the differences are in the present? It is sad that the season is over for you. The water is starting to get cool here but the air is still warm. I am thinking of a wetsuit.

BensonWdby
09-29-2008, 06:24 PM
I have one shred of hope. A new ski buddy across the lake was skiing into November - deep water start ... without a wet suit - in western Wisconsin... When he got out he was red.

But now that I am skiing with him, and he prefers his outboard to my inboard, we may get some runs in behind his boat into late Oct. I just can't afford the risk of freezing so I pull it first or second week in Oct.

MrsZ
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Do you go through the course behind his boat? I seem to remember being able to PUULLL the boat sideways over to the bouy behind an outboard. And I am not very substantially weighted.

Sled491
09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
My 1st real ski boat was a 84 Ski Nautique 2001. Man that wake was huge compared to current boats, mine included. Mrs Z I hope your perception is correct because in a couple years I'm going for a new LS hopefully. Or if all is not as it seems, maybe I'm better to keep my Outback which I consider an awsum ski boat, and buy a used LSV or XLV for surfing and whatever else.

zegm
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Sled,
Both Z and I watched as MrsZ skied behind kaneboats boat. We both noticed that the wake at her speed looked just like the wake behind our boat. We even noticed that we could see her fin as she crossed the wake just like we see her do behind our LS. I am actually happy because the wake isn't that big to me and I have gotten used to it but she was so used to that old MC wake, (which by the way our Inboard guru down here admits was one of the smallest that ever existed). So to all those Outback owners out there that are thinking of an LS, if there is a difference in the wake size it is negligible between the 2 Greatest Ski boats Moomba Makes!!!!

Possumlover82
10-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Been lurking for a while now, thinking of making the switch from tige to a moomba lsv. I currently own a 1998 tige DD with the tapps plate. This advice comes from "my" boat and have no idea about Moombas. With the plate all the way down it will push the bow too far down. Try keeping it down to get on a plane faster but once planed out bring the plate up just a tad. My guage reads 0-8. I set mine between 1 and 2. It softens the wake a lot. Like I said, this is from my experience with my boat.

Sled491
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
P, thanks for the input. Come to the dark side you'll like it over here!

kaneboats
10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
It's your destiny.

sar
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Mrz. Z,
The Outback takes some getting used to as well, but a lot of times we notice that it points out who is staying on edge the most versus who isn't. My offside kills me on the wake, but it kills me whenever I go through the course no matter what boat. One of our skiers picked up a Goode 9600 and suggests that he doesn't even notice the wake anymore because he can tell he is cutting through harder and faster, he's running at 34-36mph where the wake is smallest. One of our girls is actually doing pretty well, she came in with a confident 26mph pass, but we snuck it up to 30.5 pretty quickly.
I'm not sure if you guys ordered the wakeplate or not, but we have found that all the way down is not always the best wake (it will actually make it harder.) Depending on line length, we like to go down all the way and give it ~two short taps up.
I don't know how much fun you're having, but if you you decide to try above 35' off beware of the dip as well, it will mess up your timing, which will slack you up after the turn. I'm just at 35' for fun though and still slack it up a lot.

Stephen

MrsZ
10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Stephen! Are you saying you think I am letting up too much over the wake? I may be cause this wake scares me :eek:

We will try the tap thing this weekend. I always ski with the WP all the way down. Poor Zachary has skied a couple of times with it up cause I forgot about it! But we have never really played with it in between very much while skiing.

kaneboats
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I didn't think you were letting up too much as I was watching you in the mirror the other day. Maybe it's time to shoot some video so you can slow it down and watch yourself. Shouldn't be too hard with your crew.

MrsZ
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe it's time to shoot some video so you can slow it down and watch yourself.

We have no video equipment But that sounds like an excellent Christmas Gift Idea for someone!!! ;)

zegm
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
MrsZ,

Just decided to check the boards and saw your post. Can you please clarify who would be getting this video camera and who would be giving this video camera. I thought we just bought one???? You know the camera that shows what I am backing over? ;)

moombabound
10-04-2008, 12:35 AM
New Moomba website shows two views of the ski wake for each of the two boats. Interesting visual comparison.

kaneboats
10-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I think the new VW does that too. As long as you are backing up you get HDTV of everything behind you in real time. But, when you are moving forward it's all in the past.

sar
10-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Are you saying you think I am letting up too much over the wake? I may be cause this wake scares me :eek:

I'm not judging or anything, but it is a common problem that skiers will flatten out their off sides.

The guy on the Goode was on a D3 behind a malibu and always complained about the Moomba wake, but since the Goode is cut to make your off side better than your on side he now doesn't think it effects him. I can't tell you for sure, but we practice with the Moomba and he makes his 36mph passes fine, but the pressure of a tournament (behind mastercrafts and nautiques this year) makes even his 34mph pass difficult.

On the video, we've used video cameras, iphones, and p&s cameras. My canon point and shoot works really well in video mode. I actually used a rope strap to connect an unextended tripod to the pylon - and used a hanger looped on the rope and around the back to the handle to make it track.