PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn right

jroberts
09-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Suddenly my '03 LSV won't turn to the right. Left is fine, but if you turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, the rudder stops at almost exactly parallel to the boat. The rudder can be manually moved farther, but the steering wheel does not turn when you do this. Any ideas?

maxpower220
09-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry, no help, but I think Zoolander had the same problem.

jroberts
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
At the end of last season, I had the problem where it was difficult to turn the wheel at all. It was like driving a car without power steering. We had the dealer replace the cable, and everything was fine. This is different. The wheel turns very easily. When you turn it to the left, it works great. When you turn it to the right, the wheel turns easily, but the rudder stops after it comes back to parallel. The wheel will continue to turn easily, but it has no effect on the rudder.

Buttafewcoe
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
the clamp by the rudder loose?

jroberts
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
It might be. Is there any way to see that stuff without taking out the ski lockers, floor, etc? That is what caused me to take it to the dealer last time. It seems a little intimidating to dismantle the back half of my boat.

JesseC
09-30-2008, 10:09 AM
It might be. Is there any way to see that stuff without taking out the ski lockers, floor, etc? That is what caused me to take it to the dealer last time. It seems a little intimidating to dismantle the back half of my boat.

All you should have to remove is the black panel on the port (left) side between the rear compartment and the engine compartment. I am also wondering if the "ball joint" (not sure what it is called) where the cable attaches to a bracket just in fron of the rudder has fallen off. It seems that if it has the boat would turn left due to the fact that the cable is being pulled on a left turn and pushed on a right turn (wait I think that is backwards...anyway, you need to check it).

There is a 4 bolt (it think) block that has a ball protruding from a stringer that is the rear attach point for the cable to mid rudder assembly. It may have simply rattled the bolts loose and fallen off. If you can get the panel pulled (should be just 3 screws) give me a call and I will walk you through the rest. I have my boat at home now. Summer is over for me :(

JesseC
09-30-2008, 10:14 AM
The only reason you may have to remove the floor is if you determine that the cable has gone bad. Again, this is an easy task. There are only about 12-15 screws holding the floor in place.

gcombe74
09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Does this mean your boat is an "ambi-turner"?

kaneboats
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM
That sounds like a military solution.