PDA

View Full Version : Corporate name change?

moombabound
09-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Alright, just stirring the coals here, but "Skiers" Choice? C'mon. There's been much speculation about the 2009 Outback V (which is produced and shipped, but at time of writing, Moomba has no information whatsoever on their web site, certain dealers seem to be completely in the dark, and this forum is going crazy trying to become informed). Then tonight, the inbox has the Fall 2008 e.bulletin, and behold the claims of the Outback V:

"...new running surface that kicks up a considerably larger wake than the 2008 model... deeper...and heavier (clean, crisp wakes)".

Anybody who opted for the lounge seating format (i.e. V-Drive), but hoped for the cross-over capabilities that would enable satisfactory slalom...well, early to say, but...be skeptical. The prev OBV, at 3000 lbs was the lightest V-Drive on the market (I think), hence that might construe that it has one of the better slalom wakes for a V. No more. With the attributes above...well, a DD-owner friend skied behind the small Tige V (20V) which is a whopping 3500 lbs, and said the wake size ("TAPS" plate down) freaked him out. 2009 owners: Prepare for launch.

So, is it Surfers Choice? No, Centurion might have that locked up with the "Surf" Edition. Wakeboarders Choice? That might be it.

Could it be that the ballasted LS DD is the only cross-over boat (as other recent posts suggest)? I'm actively watching for that near-perfect cross-over. I'd likely trade up if one offered both better ski & better surf/board. Some manufacturer should be able to figure it out. But would appear the Outback V has crossed over into one camp.

(Hey, maybe the pre-'09's V's are a cross-over collectors item. Offers?).

MrsZ
09-26-2008, 06:49 AM
you don't see "Dairy Queen" changing their name and I bet they never actually had a queen.

That's a good analogy. Whenever we go out in the Moomba we go skiing. When we invite people out with us we invite then skiing. In our house it is almost a generic turn for doing stuff behind the boat. Actually skiing is usually "going through the course".

I guess it is like when I ask for a Coke but really just want a "soda".

moombabound
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
you don't see "Dairy Queen" changing their name and I bet they never actually had a queen.

Actually, the moniker inferred they were the Queen of Dairy. Still are. Menu is riddled with frozen or soft frozen dairy products. Similary, Skiers Choice was the choice of skiers; perhaps still is. Difference being dairy is dairy, but the evolution of watersports has totally transformed the boating industry.

Still looking for that perfect cross-over.

moombabound
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Here's a thought for SC: How about offering the V in two different hulls? That's exactly what Malibu did with the VTX - Power Boat Mag '07 Tow Boat of the Year. That way, the standard hull could plow a trench, and the optional hull would produce additional lift at slalom speeds to provide a suitable ski wake.

OldeBoy
09-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Moombabound: That is a glorious idea.
What would happen to slalom if every manufacturer went for bigger wake?.......

Jon
09-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Just wait a little and demo the Outback V when your local dealer gets one in. It is an amazing crossover boat. I have driven one and was very impressed. I am a wakeboarder so I concentrated on the wakeboard wake. It had a very nice shape but not just super huge. With full ballast and a few people I'm sure it could get to a nice size though. The slalom wake was what I was most impressed with though (keep in mind I'm a wakeboarder). It was VERY flat, in fact, I thought a lot better than previous years Outback V's.

JoeTechie
09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Also, note that though the '09 V has a deeper fore keel, and is slighty wider, it is also shorter and therefore possibly no change to weight from the '06-08 model. Not to worry. Crossover is still a large enough market to .. well.. market to.

moombabound
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Jon.

You're the first to report on the '09V slalom wake. Understand boarding is your priority but sounds like you do have some slalom in the veins too. Your initial observation is VERY good news, though SC hasn't spun that in any of the PR. It's obvious I suffer frustration with the cons of cross-over. If it turns out the new V crosses into both camps better than the prev model, well, I'm not running with $$ in hand, but I would be seriously interested. Need to know soon...need time to warm the Missus on that notion!

zegm
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I still get confused when I read about cross overs. We do it all behind the LS. It is the cross over boat. You just have to accept the engine in the middle concept and everything is great! We have skis on our boat, we have very nice slalom skis on our boat!!! Plus wakeboards, kneeboards and a surfboard the LS will do ALL!

Jon
09-28-2008, 09:14 PM
zegm,

I agree with you on that one. The LS is the most underrated boat that Skiers Choice makes in my opinion. However, the Outback V will fill in nicely for those that just have to have a v drive and don't want a 21' 6" boat.

scmarketing
10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
An interesting thread and an interesting discussion.

Here is what I know. Skier's Choice has no intention to change its name. Not Surfer's Choice. Not Skurfer's Choice. Not Boarder's Choice.

The Moomba Outback V is a fantastic new boat. It is heavier than the previous model.
It does have the potential to produce a better wakeboarding and wakesurfing wake.
It also has the ability to cross-over to a ski boat, though it won't be as small of a wake table as the current model.

Web site 2009? Probably on Friday of this week. Now, I hate to say it. Because you guys will tear through it before we have worked out all the bugs. Or some crazy developmental nightmare will show up and it won't post until the following week.

But... fingers crossed ... the 2009 Moomba site will post very shortly.

To the first poster ... end the speculation ... life is good at Moomba. The LSV is the single most popular model in the inboard market. The marine market is tough. But Skier's CHoice, both Moomba and Supra brands, are healthy.

Sled491
10-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I guess I'll say it again. Maybe the best thing to do for us skiers is to hang onto our Outbacks or Boomerangs, and buy a second boat. Plenty of used XLV and LSV's out there. This could go the other way as well, buy your new XLV or LSV and buy an used Outback.

Funny thing is we bought our Outback because the water in front of our place is very shallow and I wanted the smallest draft possible, but wanted a V drive not knowing any better at the time. Now I wouldn't give up my Outback for anything. But as my kids and I want to explore other watersports activities such as Surfing and such the appeal of the V drive returns hence the need for 2 boats. Maybe SC can create some sort of mutiple boat owner program ha ha.

Joe good to see you again.

moombadaze
10-02-2008, 07:25 AM
"To the first poster ... end the speculation ... life is good at Moomba. The LSV is the single most popular model in the inboard market. The marine market is tough. But Skier's CHoice, both Moomba and Supra brands, are healthy."

I heard or read somewhere that the lsv was the best selling inboard of all brands at this time. Glad to hear its true.

Any word yet where Skiers Choise placed as far as sales go for 08?

scmarketing
10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Malibu, MasterCraft, Skier's Choice.

In 2009 Supra has moved ahead of Tige in total unit sales and is closing in on Centurion.

Moomba remains the fourth largest independent brand.

All of that said, we are a lot less concerned with where we are finishing then how well we are doing with our current customers. We are really proud of our participation at the WWA World Championships. We are excited to have our hands in nine different owner's reunions around the country (had only 2 3-years ago). We've strengthened our warranties. Did our first 'owner's only' nationwide sales event. And for the 200 or so owner's who have participated in our product development research, I hope you all have seen that we have used your input to improve the quality and features on our boats.

The goal isn't world domination. Though we wouldn't be disappointed if that was the outcome.

Double D
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
"The Moomba Outback V is a fantastic new boat. It is heavier than the previous model.
It does have the potential to produce a better wakeboarding and wakesurfing wake.
It also has the ability to cross-over to a ski boat, though it won't be as small of a wake table as the current model."

I gotta say I am bummed about hearing that. I was excited for the 09 to come out, but the first bit of information focussed almost soley on its wake.

I understand that slalom skiing seems like a dying religion to the modern world, but there are those of us out here that truely are looking for that V-drive with great slalom wakes and introductory style wakeboard wakes.

If Moomba wanted a surfing wake, why not keep it on the Mobius side and leave the Outback devoted to the slalom families. Now it looks like for 09, Moomba makes 4 wakeboarding boats and 1 slalom ski boat.

I guess I am at a loss when it comes to what the market research is telling Skier's Choice, but it seems like everytime I come on here everyone wants a V-drive with some great slalom characteristics and according to you this boat is heavier and will have a larger slalom wake than previous Outback V's.

There is no incentive for the slalom families to trade their 06 or 08 Outback V in for the 09 becauses they would give up wake quality.

Sorry everyone for being so negative. I guess I am just one bummed out Moomba fan.

gcombe74
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
That's a good analogy. Whenever we go out in the Moomba we go skiing. When we invite people out with us we invite then skiing. In our house it is almost a generic turn for doing stuff behind the boat. Actually skiing is usually "going through the course".

I guess it is like when I ask for a Coke but really just want a "soda".

When we ask people to go. Its do you want to go boating.... or do you want to go BOARDING. Dont own a ski so not much point is asking them to go skiing?

The only thing I see is odd to me about the new outback V is this... fully loaded... why not just buy an LSV? Looks like very small seperation between them if you ask me. Looked at Both 09 outback and LSV at Marine Products and still would buy the LSV for the money its the better buy if you load the outback.

qb12
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
When we ask people to go. Its do you want to go boating.... or do you want to go BOARDING. Dont own a ski so not much point is asking them to go skiing?

The only thing I see is odd to me about the new outback V is this... fully loaded... why not just buy an LSV? Looks like very small seperation between them if you ask me. Looked at Both 09 outback and LSV at Marine Products and still would buy the LSV for the money its the better buy if you load the outback.

ditto that one.

moombadaze
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
keep in mind some lakes have a length restriction and the lsv is to big, but the outback v fits those requirments.

gcombe74
10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
keep in mind some lakes have a length restriction and the lsv is to big, but the outback v fits those requirments.

Around here... (in UT) its either a full blown lake or a pond. So it motor or no motor. It might be the only time that size does not matter that I can think of? LOL

moombabound
10-04-2008, 12:31 AM
REALLY DISAPPOINTED that on the new web site launched yesterday, for the Outback V, they don't show the "ski wake" photo/video, like they do with the Outback and LS. Despite describing it as a multi-sport boat. SCMarketing, you've weighed in on this thread. What gives? Does this further substantiate the tongue in cheek original thread post about the V crossing solidly over to the board/surf camp?

zegm
10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Ed,SC,

Hey can you all do something about this orange font on the white background??? What an eye strainer! Love the new site except for this!!!

zegm
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Ah, seasonal color changes! :D

moombabound
10-04-2008, 01:28 PM
some of us wanted a boat that was entirely wakeboard/wakesurf specific.

Already exists...in spades. See one of:
Mobius LSV
Mobius XLV
Gravity XLV

cab13367
10-09-2008, 11:22 PM
"The Moomba Outback V is a fantastic new boat. It is heavier than the previous model.
It also has the ability to cross-over to a ski boat, though it won't be as small of a wake table as the current model."

I gotta say I am bummed about hearing that. I was excited for the 09 to come out, but the first bit of information focussed almost soley on its wake.

I understand that slalom skiing seems like a dying religion to the modern world, but there are those of us out here that truely are looking for that V-drive with great slalom wakes and introductory style wakeboard wakes.

If Moomba wanted a surfing wake, why not keep it on the Mobius side and leave the Outback devoted to the slalom families. Now it looks like for 09, Moomba makes 4 wakeboarding boats and 1 slalom ski boat.

I guess I am at a loss when it comes to what the market research is telling Skier's Choice, but it seems like everytime I come on here everyone wants a V-drive with some great slalom characteristics and according to you this boat is heavier and will have a larger slalom wake than previous Outback V's.

There is no incentive for the slalom families to trade their 06 or 08 Outback V in for the 09 becauses they would give up wake quality.

Sorry everyone for being so negative. I guess I am just one bummed out Moomba fan.
I think Double D has a good point. Why not keep the current Outback V and market it as the skier's v-drive boat and the new Outback V as the boarder's/surfers small v-drive boat for those who's garages won't accommodate the LSV? I would think that there is a market for both.

Al

moombabound
10-10-2008, 01:00 AM
...There is no incentive for the slalom families to trade their 06 or 08 Outback V in for the 09 becauses they would give up wake quality.

No apology necessary...your post is precisely aligned with the theme of this thread.

Skiers who are (or their family members are) multi-sport (and more are discovering Wakesurfing via their neighbors V-drive, etc. every day), are SCREAMING for a V-drive with a decent slalom wake.

A competitor has just attempted exactly that. The cat's been let out of the bag about MC's new 214/X14 V-drive, where they've moved the engine forward (controversial but innovative). Pics were leaked on the MC board when they hosted dealers last week and someone broke the rules. So now MC, Malibu and CC explicitly produce a V-drive X-over boat. Appears SC has decidedly left themselves out of that game.

Double D
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
moombabound: Thanks for the post. I think I have worn the pages out on my January 08 edition of Waterski Mag's Boat Review. The most "frazzled" page is either the Moomba Outback V or the Malibu Sunscape 20(diamond cut hull, but a V-drive). The biggest issue is the $15,000 price difference.

MC with a new crossover. hmmm

I guess IMHO the reason I lean so much towards the Moomba boat is because it seems like it is the family boat every family can use or afford. Not everyone can cough up $60,000 for a Malibu, CC, or MC. Moomba has been able to create the boat most of us can afford while giving some great perfermance. To me that keeps more families boating.

IMHO if there was ever a time to change the OBV, then I would have thought the obvious choice would have been to try and develop the perfect V-drive for multisports rather than focus on wakesurfing/wakeboarding only.

lanceswake
10-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Personally I don't care if they go by Swimmers Choice, Puddle Jumpers Choice, Rock Skippers Choice....ETC. I bought mine because of the great value & quality of my boat. Don't get too political about the corporate name. Enjoy your boat! :-)

As far as the whole crossover thing goes my opinion is pretty black & white. Yeah I'd also love to buy a Ferrari for only $30k that gets 50 miles to the gallon, but it ain't gonna happen. I'm personally 100% all about the wake for boarding, surfing, & skating. I can see how peeps that straddle the fence could be hard to please. I mean that's just it...CROSSOVER...which means it's not gonna be super great for either one. I guess in my mind crossover = compromise. Don't get me wrong I respect the heck out of great skiers, but that's not what is at question here....it's about the boat.

EdG I'm with you man on the '09 OBV...I can't wait to get one either!

Lance