PDA

View Full Version : Water in HULL below the Ski Locker?!

KurtL
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Guys,

Does anyone know if this is possible? Last week I was cleaning out the ski locker and noticed the fiberglass is unfinished in the center (normal?). I had my hand on the floor of the locker and pushed up to stand up and I felt the floor flex alittle. Also hear what sounded like water moving underneath it. Upon further inspection I found this (see pics) small hole in the floor. It does not appear to be all the way through the floor of the locker. Was able to reproduce the water sound. Boat is a 2008 LS.

Any ideas?

byronkoz
09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
The unfinished fiberglass in the ski locker is normal. As for the water? Im not sure??

aerophoto
09-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Mine is the same Vacuumed the water out today pulled the ballast bag out and cleaned her up. I think under the locker is the lower hull of the boat and yes water will get in there that is why you have a pump to empty the water. I also noticed with the tilt of my driveway the water stays forward in my boat so when I travel I have the plug out so the water gets pulled out.

Guys,

Does anyone know if this is possible? Last week I was cleaning out the ski locker and noticed the fiberglass is unfinished in the center (normal?). I had my hand on the floor of the locker and pushed up to stand up and I felt the floor flex alittle. Also hear what sounded like water moving underneath it. Upon further inspection I found this (see pics) small hole in the floor. It does not appear to be all the way through the floor of the locker. Was able to reproduce the water sound. Boat is a 2008 LS.

Any ideas?

KurtL
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
So I might be missing something. Aerophoto, are you telling me there is a way for that water in the hull(under the ski locker) to drain back into the bilge area? My understanding was that that the ski locker drains into the bilge area in the direct drive, but I have not noticed a second access to the engine comparment. My boat is 40 miles away at the lake and I will not be able to check it out until this weekend. Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Kurt

aerophoto
09-27-2008, 08:21 PM
So I might be missing something. Aerophoto, are you telling me there is a way for that water in the hull(under the ski locker) to drain back into the bilge area? My understanding was that that the ski locker drains into the bilge area in the direct drive, but I have not noticed a second access to the engine comparment. My boat is 40 miles away at the lake and I will not be able to check it out until this weekend. Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Kurt

Yes if you reach down through the access hole ( That Black Plate on the floor) You will find a wall where the ski locker is. At the bottom a drain hole like the one in the locker above to let the water into the bilge area. so when you are boating and water gets into the boat it will move forward and when you pull the boat it should move back. My Drive way tilts down to the street so next week before I put the boat away I will shove my wet vack hose in there and suck it dry. LOL ( That sounds wrong) LOL

KurtL
09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the lake tomorrow and will check it out. It's sad to think about putting the boat up for the winter. Suppose to be 22F end of next week, guess it is time to winterize or heat the garage. My wife is from Calgary so were up there often. What lakes do you like?

aerophoto
09-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the lake tomorrow and will check it out. It's sad to think about putting the boat up for the winter. Suppose to be 22F end of next week, guess it is time to winterize or heat the garage. My wife is from Calgary so were up there often. What lakes do you like?

I ski in Sylvan, Pine, Ghost Dam (when there is not wood), Koocanusa, and out by Brooks on the dam. Mostly Sylvan and Pine though. Just bought land in Montana so next year I will be there for the whole summer :) Near Eureka

22F I have not heard that as of yet Yikes it will be 70-75 all week here

KurtL
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I ski in Sylvan, Pine, Ghost Dam (when there is not wood), Koocanusa, and out by Brooks on the dam. Mostly Sylvan and Pine though. Just bought land in Montana so next year I will be there for the whole summer :) Near Eureka

22F I have not heard that as of yet Yikes it will be 70-75 all week here

Sorry for the panic! Updated over night lows revised to the mid thirties. Highs in the mid seventies.

Congrats on the land, my buddy is a realtor here and says the Eureka market has been booming with people from Alberta. Koocanusa is becoming pretty popular. We have not been out there yet. It is maybe a 75 minute drive. We live in Kalispell but keep the boat at our cabin on Mcgregor Lake. By the way, there will be a Moomba dealership opening in Kalispell this winter.

aerophoto
09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Wow Great news I wont need to drag my boat all the way back if I need service.

I looked on Google earth I might just have to come on down to Mcgregor Lake for a visit ;)

KurtL
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds great! Let me know when you'll be in the area.

aerophoto
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds great! Let me know when you'll be in the area.

Wont be until Late July next year I have to go to the EAst Coast to meet the wifes Family 18 Years together and I have avoided the trip so now I must go and waste two weeks of great skiing

Iowa05LSV
10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
KurtL,
Were you able to resolve your water issue? I was prepping my boat for it's winter slumber and also found a signifcant amount of water under my ski locker. I tried pointing the bow up the drive but was unable to get any water to drain to the rear. It's a 05 LSV so I'm not sure if there's a access hole to the front bilge. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Iowa05LSV

mikebu
10-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Get yourself a wetvac and suck it out.

On my boat with the rear plug out I stopped up a hill and waited for water to stop draining out and let the front locker dry out in my driveway. When I took the boat back to the storage area where I keep it I had maybe half a gallon of water back in the front locker. Whipped out the wetvac and sucked that out. I am thinking if I had looked in my bilge when it was in my driveway I would have seen a little bit of water that made it's way back to the front when I drove it back and I probably could have wet vac'd it out.

Why don't they put a 2nd bilge up front? They could plumb it right next to the ballest drainage. That hole leading back to the back bilge doesn't work well.

Iowa05LSV
10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Wet Vac makes perfect sense but how do you get to the water? Just to be clear the issue isn't the water in the locker, but under the locker. Is there an access panel you're using or did you drill a hole in the bottom of your ski locker to access the area underneath?

Some of the water is slowly seeping through the patch holes in the bottom of the ski locker (I suspect those are from the foam injection holes mentioned in other threads) but I don't believe it's enough to drain the area and prevent freezing.

Thanks
Iowa05LSV

silverski
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Iowa

Check out the post under service & repair - ski locker -where I have similar pictures to yours. Similar experience except you could actually see the water coming back up through the "hole" in the bottom of the ski locker. My boat is at the dealer now and they are sending to a body shop to have it "repaired".

mnpracing
08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
KurtL or silverski - either of you get resolution on this issue? I saw today that I have a similar issue. It presents itself more like KurtL's issue than Silverski's but just wondering how this turned out for you.

zegm
08-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the panic! Updated over night lows revised to the mid thirties. Highs in the mid seventies.

What??? mid thirties??? Is that abnormal for this time of year?

newyear14
08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
What??? mid thirties??? Is that abnormal for this time of year?

You probably did not notice that the post was dated 09/28/2008;).